Masters Running

Newbies (Read 490 times)

Mike - no kidding about having partners picked for us. I have a colleague from India who has been married for 25 years to a man picked by their parents. They don't seem to have any more or fewer problems than the western couples I know. And in my case, it feels more like JR. HIGH, since we're both middle school teachers and met through choir (a.k.a the church fishbowl). No run for me today. After school activities were cancelled, including my chorus CLASS, because of predicted freezing rain, which was actually mist with temps in the low 40s at the end of the school day. Grrrr. I did a few errands after school and by the time I got home, around 5:30, it actually was freezing rain. Going to do some strength and stretching stuff during "House." I went to the Runners World web site and worked out a 16-week training plan for the Broad Street Run (10 miler) in May. Training plan starts Monday. Whoo hoo! Smile Hoping for a delayed opening tomorrow, but no snow days! We get out too late as it is! Besides, I'm just getting back into the swing from winter break. Eliz

flomotioncoaching.com

stumpy77

Trails are hard!

Evening, guys--i have a bit of a crimp in my running at the moment. My atrial fib has been acting up since Sunday afternoon and the pills that I have been taking to control it (and get rid of it when it does show up) have sort of suddenly quit working completely. It hasn't been constant and at this point not particularly dangerous, but exteremly annoying. my cardio had asked me to take a EKG to check how they had been working, so I had one last night after work. He says that I now have more of a flutter than a fib, which isn't bad, but still makes me feel like crap. I'm going in to see him on Thursday, but even if the random flutters are gone I don't think I'll be running tomorrow or Thursday. Not sure what happens after that. It won't bum me out TOO much for tomorrow, since there is snow and/or freezing rain predicted. Sorry to jump to being negative at this late hour, but this is the first time I've had it go on this long and it's a little depressing. Better times to come soon. Kevin

Need a fast half for late fall.  Then I need to actually train for it.

Mike, awesome time! Whens the next race? Youre the man. Kevin, does diet help it? If I watch what I eat and especially drink mine goes away. Did the doc tell you no running? How about other exercise? Is it the stress level that could have set it off? Holidays are hell and create so much stress. Whats going on with our basketball team?! Losing to the Bobcats? They cant get to the playoffs that way. grrrr Linda, I should follow your routine. I hate tread mills though. Eliz, I never knew there were tools online to create your own plan. I knew they had pre made plans. I could no way do your job. I dread going near the middle school. I even hate pulling into the parking lot. I was supposed to be there today for the wellness committee meeting but the school is closed due to the ice. Hey, hows the discipline in your school? There is none in Ali's school and the kids get away with murder. Looking into home school for her next year. Hi Theresa, hows the weather up there? Are you getting snow or ice? Put some spikes in your running shoes before you venture out. Hello Roberta. Went to PT monday. My leg was so sore she could barely touch it. So we did a modified stretching and pilates. I know now that the only exercise that doesnt bother it is swimming. So yesterday I did 45 mins in the pool and the pain went away. Looks like I am going to be a swimmer whether I like it or not. Going to try to shovel the ice off my driveway before I go to work. Laurie

Shamrock marathon March 2016. Burlington full or relay if I can find a partner May 2016. Wine and Dine half Nov. And a tri or two thrown in just for the hell of it.

dg.

Eliz... sorry about the tenor. & about my ill-timed comment. I hope it works out well one way or the other.. awful to be uncomfortable. how are you feeling? my sinuses have been bothering me too ever since I had that cold. I feel like a slug. good for you getting out the other day. You start training Monday? Like Laurie said... I didn't know there was an online tool for that (making your own plan) either. do you have a link? thanks for the cautionary words.. btw, doing the recovery run right worked out really well. Linda, yes thinking about it counts! Your plan sounds good.. so. yesterday was tomorrow. how did it go? Body part report... (sigh).. it really wasn't the 11 miler, though that might not have helped. I just did the typical change too many things within a weeks time, & it suddenly backfired. I'm not terrible, but definitely have a pita again. maybe 2 of them. So am cutting back this week again. makes me mad at myself, but i have plenty of time to make up for it. thanks for asking. apparently i still don't have this down, & I was honestly working hard at a slow, steady, consistent increase. Mike, I'll help all I can! hard to know what times i can get away from work. but when I can I will. congrats on your 5K. that is so great! have to stop. a work thing. more later.
          Teresadfp

One day at a time

Ugh, the weather up here stinks, and I've gotten a cold, the kind that saps your energy. I've skipped running three days in a row! I HAVE to get out there tomorrow. Kevin, did you see the doctor today? What did he say? I hope you can run soon! dg, I sympathize with you. I thought I was building slowly, also, but my body is rebelling a little. My ankle is tender again. I think that's one reason I haven't felt like running in a couple of days - I don't want to get hurt again. A little patience goes a long ways, I think! I've given up on trying for 1500 miles this year. It's just not realistic for me. Have a good evening!!
              deb, what is it you maybe have two of? Theresa, why does anyone live in new england?! The weather stinks all year long, especially winter and this has been a tough one. That cold/flu is going around. My Ali has it for the 2nd time now. I dont think the quantity of miles counts as much as the quality. Its more important to get the types of run workouts in than to get the miles in. Make sense (quite often I dont)? Kev, whats the word? Eliz, I am seriously considering home schooling Ali next year. Hows the discipline in your school? Theres none is Ali's. Her and I were walking the mall over the weekend. She suddenly said, 'uh go that way' and we veered off course because the mean girls in her school were headed our way. So I asked what they did that was so mean. It seems like their goal in life is to make everyone miserable. Its awful. I did a half hour of Wii fit yoga last night and woke with my leg hurting all the way up to my back and down to my knee. Its official, the only exercise I can do is swim until this thing heals. Oh well, means I have a reason now to go swim suit shopping. lol. Laurie

Shamrock marathon March 2016. Burlington full or relay if I can find a partner May 2016. Wine and Dine half Nov. And a tri or two thrown in just for the hell of it.

Rindaroo

Kevin - how was the doc appointment? how are you feeling? Debbie - well, maybe the problem is the slowly increasing... Maybe you should do the same distance over & over, until the body wants to go farther (instead of doing the slow increases). I think you maybe pushing your body to these injuries because the increases are too quickly for your body - even though they seem slow to you. Does that make sense? Laurie - REST!! Okay, so I haven't done any exercise still! I put my clothes out 2 or was it 3 days ago & they are still there!! I just couldn't get up that first morning & then I started working late - not home til 9 the next 2 days Sad So, I'm leaving those clothes there to stare me in the face, until I use them... I have to work all weekend too, but it should be a little later in the morning than usual, so should be able to use them tomorrow morning.. that is if I'm not at work til midnight tonight..
                stumpy77

Trails are hard!

Hi everyone--the news is not horrible or great. My atrial fibrillation has added an atrial flutter that my meds no longer seem to control. No running or exertion for the near future, but no major danger. The rest may end up as TMI, but if you're curious, feel free to read on. I feel the need to tell this and don't really feel like telling people at work, so you guys get stuck (listening) reading. the only way to clear the flutter is to shock it and cardio says that's only a temporary solution--it will come back at some time. the only full cure is called ablation--permently zapping the portions of the heart that are misfiring and causing both results. problem is that they're on different sides of the atria. one side is easy to do and is done almost routinely (flutter), but the other side (fib) is a realtively new technology and the only person/hospital in the North east that does work on the difficult side is not in my insurance network. Black eye This means that I now have to fight with the insurance folks to get an out-of-network coverage. My cardio is very supportive and will be doing all he can to support it along with my regular doc. It's something that we've talked about doing, but somewhere in the future. I could have actually moved to a more expensive offering that would cover the majority of the cost without arguing, but thought this would be more than a year away and was trying to be cheapfrugal. in the mean time, I need to go on coumadin (blood thinner) as I'm not pumping at full efficiency and am more liable to develop clots. If the insurance can be worked out, I'll be on it until a month after the operation. If and when it happens, I guess I'd be laid up for about a week and then a month or so for most activities. So it looks like I'll be out of service for a couple of months at least. I'm planning on doing a lot of stretching and knee strengthening exercises that don't involve a lot of exertion. I mean I got out of breath bringing the trash up from the basement. Have I mentioned that this really sucks? Cry For anyone that made it through, thanks for reading. I will try to stay in touch, because I don't want to loose track of all my on-line buddies, and I want to keep thinking about running again. Kevin

Need a fast half for late fall.  Then I need to actually train for it.

dg.

aww, Kevin. Sad {{{{{{{ }}}}}}}!!! It does really suck. I hope you get all the insurance things worked out soon so you can get this taken care of & get back to doing what you want to do. .. this will take care of both? the flutter & the afib? that would be cool. Do you/they have any idea what caused this? I do know what it's like when even things like carrying trash are too much. It can eat away at you. Please do keep in touch with us. It's good all the way around. don't ever feel like you're giving TMI.... we've been through all that. yes? so. continue to let us know how you are & what's going on. more a little later.
                    Teresadfp

One day at a time

LOL, Laurie! Oh, I love New England. I first visited when I was in high school. I remember walking out of Logan Airport in June, feeling the upper-60s temps, and thinking, "Air conditioning! I have to live here!!!" It felt so wonderful not to sweat in the summer! I love being 5 minutes from the ocean, 90 minutes from great ski resorts, two hours from Boston; owning a log cabin with a beautiful view of a lake and mountain; Acadia National Park, the Old Port in Portland, NO TRAFFIC JAMS, independent Mainers, etc., etc. I could see living in Texas part of the year, but I think I will always have a residence up here.
                      Rindaroo

Kevin - sorry to hear your news. lots of {{hugs}} & hope you can get the insurance stuff all worked out soon. Have to report that I FINALLY got on that treadmill this morning.. just 30 minutes walking on the treadmill but glad to be doing something. Foot was still a little sore but not too bad. Then I went to work for about a 13 hour day on a Saturday, Sad have to go in earlier tomorrow too..
                          I read the board and wrote a really long reply last night but then before I could hit post my browswer suddenly closed and all was lost. Being it was late and I had to get up extra early to shovel before I went to work I just put it off until today. I did my shoveling and am now at 'work'. With the airport closed due to a storm I wont be doing much work. Kevin, A few positives I see. One you have a diagnosis and thats always better than a 'I dont know lets do more tests' result. Two its fixible. And three youre a runner with a strong runner's heart. When I got my diagnosis I was like 'shit I have to take meds for the rest of my life' but then I learned how to control it without meds and havent taken any in over 6 years. Whats going on with our basketball team?! Their streak has turned into a losing streak. Eliz, how are the kids behaving in your school? Ali's school has no discipline at all and the kids get away with murder. She has done nothing in sewing class all year because the kids wont settle down to learn so the teacher has just given up. Theresa, I suppose Maine has a lot more to offer than western mass. You Kevin and I should meet in Boston for a race. I am considering the run to remember half marathon in May. Linda, 13 hours on a sat?! Why?! Ugh. Glad youre getting on the dreadmill though. Its a good start. I learned that swimming is the answer to my leg woes. Its the only exercise that doesnt hurt and actually it takes away the pain. Did 45 mins yesterday and felt strong like I could go for more after. Will try 50 mins today and about 55 laps. Laurie