Masters Running

'Nother wet Wednesday, 8.1.12 (Read 414 times)

coastwalker

Mornin' all, and welcome to August!

Ribs, despite the fact that you knew and told us too that it was coming, I'm sorry to learn of Joe's passing. I never met him, but clearly he touched a lot of people in profound ways in his life.I liked TomWhite's suggestion, and I did my workout in memory of Joe this morning.

Enke, congrats on ending July with your sweetest run of the month - with dinner waiting for you when you got back; how good is that??

Carolyn, it is clear in your posts and your photos that you love Colorado. It's very special to be able to say that you love where you live.

Tammy, have a great trip to CA!

I hope you're feeling better today, Henry. Must have had too good a time with the grandkids...

I'm glad things are going so well with you and Donna, Timbo. I hope you both have a greta time at the half on Saturday. The lodge sounds perfect...

Holly, when I first glanced at that photo, I thought I was looking at your DS and his GF!

It rained like a son-of-a-gun late last night, but there were nothing more than tree drips and puddles this morning. It was 66F and muggy at 4am, with a kiss of a breeze from the west, for my 5.25 racewalking miles. I walked over some new, well-oiled blacktop where the water just sat in big beads on the surface. With my push-off at the end of every stride, I got a little back-of-the-leg splash which felt cool and refreshing. I was cruising along till Jim (an early-morning runner) went by me and I compared our stride rates - damn, I was slow! So I picked up the pace for the last 2+ miles, working up a drenching sweat, but feeling good about the workout when I was done.

Enjoy your day!  -  Jay

Without ice cream there would be darkness and chaos.

Holly, when I first glanced at that photo, I thought I was looking at your DS and his GF!

Not only is Jay a sweet walker, he's a sweet talker too!

6.1 easy-paced miles this morning (9:41 per).  I briefly contemplated doing my running LT test during this run and then quickly discarded that idea.  Too soon after yesterday's bike LT test.  It's not smart to workout hard two days in a row anymore.  That's asking for trouble.

Bill

"Some are the strong, silent type. You can't put your finger on exactly what it is they bring to the table until you run without them and then you realize that their steadiness fills a hole that leaks energy in their absence." - Kristin Armstrong

Dave59

Not only is Jay a sweet walker, he's a sweet talker too!

Must be all that smooth race walking that makes Jay that way.  Holly's posts about Yellow Springs are like LSD flash backs.  I went to college near there and the gorge was a common getaway spot.  Plus I worked at a grocery store in Yellow Springs my last 2 years of school.  I wonder if the hippie college is still there and still has hippies. Confused  Some of my co-workers would slip bars of soap into their grocery bags in hopes they would use them.  A bunch of kids with rich parents and no responsibilities.

About an hour of the slow running stuff today.  Made it about 4 miles before my heart rate started drifting up and I had to slow down (more).  That's better than usual.  If I could get my mouth stapled shut and lose some weight I think I could do even better,

Tramps

I wonder if the hippie college is still there and still has hippies. Confused  Some of my co-workers would slip bars of soap into their grocery bags in hopes they would use them.  A bunch of kids with rich parents and no responsibilities.

Now that's funny.

A DB post here?!  Wow, I thought I was in the swamp for a minute.  And I love that it comes with a 44-mile treadmill run!

Dave—impressive streak last month!

Ribs—the 4-year anniversary of your surgery was overshadowed by your sad news but it shouldn’t be overlooked.  An impressive accomplishment.

Carolyn—we’ll have to talk about my getting a summer place in Colorado.  Your enthusiasm for it is infectious.

2Cat—I had missed that you’re running Amsterdam.  Very cool!

Henry—hope you’re feeling better soon.

Leslie—great to hear of your PR!

Mike—sound to me that Ryan “likes” you is an understatement.  Hope your job situation improves.

Some of you (not to mention names such as Twocat and Holly…oops)  are missing the obvious point: when it’s cold, you dress up more (e.g. Erika).  Problem solved (usually).  When it’s hot…there’s really nothing you can do.

Anyhoo…August is starting out on a positive note with more comfortable 70s this morning.  Almost felt sproinky for my EZ 5 this morning.  The best run yet this month!

On the bummer front, Tribee got the results of an MRI and has a hamstring tear.  Ouch.  Plans for her second iron-distance tri in the Fall are off.  No biking, minimal running, lots of swimming in the coming weeks.  She’s discouraged, of course, but is already making plans to re-focus on swimming for a while, picking out a 5-mile river race as a new Fall goal.

Be safe. Be kind.

stumpy77

Trails are hard!

Some of you (not to mention names such as Twocat and Holly…oops)  are missing the obvious point: when it’s cold, you dress up more (e.g. Erika).  Problem solved (usually).  When it’s hot…there’s really nothing you can do. (legally)

A little clariifcation for you, Tramps.

I was so tempted to reset the alarm for an hour later this morning when it went off at 5:15.  After the run, I knew I should have.  A lot more humid than I expected and the extra italian sausage that I shouldnt have eaten last night ganged up on me and ended up about as slow as I've ever done the lake loop.

ETA:  Sorry to hear about Tribee's tribulations.  talk about a quick refocusing of goals.  hope she heals quickly.

Need a fast half for late fall.  Then I need to actually train for it.

Slo

An easy 7 this morning. Slow pace, felt like I was running faster but I was pretty hard on the body last week.

I'm registered for the Monkey Lottery !

wildchild

Carolyn

I'm registered for the Monkey Lottery !

Me too! Trent seems to think people should be scared of some little itty bitty hills.  I'm more scared that it's on pavement.

Tramps, I totally agree about being able to put more layers on when it's cold but not being able to take more off when it's hot.  But maybe you can all remind me of this, and of how much I said I love Colorado, when I'm complaining about snow in September...

So Tribee's planning a 5-mile river race???  Wow.

6 mile run before work in Centennial Cone Park.  Good way to start a new month.  Happy August!

Carolyn

I hammered down the trail, passing rocks and trees like they were standing still.

TammyinGP

Went out for a run last night when I got home. I even managed to escape the house WITHOUT Bailey and Bella knowing. this is no easy task I assure you! got in 4 miles w/o them and it was nice for a change to be able to run w/o a leash in hand or repeatedly saying "Bella, slow down".  Then when I got home from my 4 miles, then were both anxiously awaiting my return and I took them for another mile on the trails on my property.

Much to do today as I try to wrap up things for a 4 day wknd. Have a good rest of the week and weekend everyone!

Tammy

Had an excellent fartlek run last night.  In other news, for those of you in New York, you will be pleasantly surprised to learn, I'm sure, that I've applied for the Managing Attorney position at Legal Aid in Newburgh.  I have a phone interview tomorrow.  I applied totally on a lark, but of course I won't tell them this, when I received a notification from Linkedin that it was a job I might be interested in.

"I didn’t run a race until I was 41 and that was a marathon! Let that sink in for a minute." -me

TammyinGP

But Karl - that's SOOOOO far from the PNW!!

Tammy

I know, Tammy.  I doubt they could pay me enough to move and with our son in his senior year, it would be bad timing.  How about their weather, though? http://www.wunderground.com/q/zmw:12550.1.99999

"I didn’t run a race until I was 41 and that was a marathon! Let that sink in for a minute." -me

Opie good luck.  A job offer, whether from a lark or not is always good!

Tramps cold = frozen start no matter how many layers.  It also means frozen fingers post run, again no matter how many layers.  Hot = start comfortable, run happy and get home happy and warm!  No contest!  Cool

This morning I ran 12 with several zombielecks tossed in.  I am still a long way from having my town's base catch up with Mariposai's in population but I am working on it!  (Yes, Mariposai is responsible for my failing mental health!)   Now there was one very disturbing zombie I heard as I was running along.  It was moaning something about wildchild, running up mountains and no air.  I tell you it sounded just like OrangeMat.  If anybody sees her, and is handy with a battle axe just in case, you might ask her how she feels.  But not from too close you know!  Wink

Live like you are dying not like you are afraid to die.

Drunken Irish Soda Bread and Irish Brown Bread this way -->  http://allrecipes.com/cook/4379041/

Your non-running spouses and friends might get a kick out of this article from The Onion. I know mine did (laughed just a bit too loud, in my opinion!). And I think maybe we can all see ourselves here, just a little?

Ran 6 miles around the lake at the park this morning. This was very unusual for me to run there at this time of year; it's our only good place to run all winter and I usually get tired of it by April or so. But it sure was a beautiful morning and nice, peaceful setting!

Keep it together out there, folks!

Doug, runnin' cycling in Rochester, MI

"Think blue, count two, and look for a red shoe"

Roch, that was pretty funny.  DH thinks I'm a bit obsessed about running, but he has no idea how little I discuss it with him, or how unobsessed I probably am compared to most runners.  He has been quite encouraging lately about me getting my runs in on the weekends.  I suppose I am nicer afterwards or something?  Joking

Opie, don't you dare move that far away....

I had a pleasant 4.2 mile jog this morning, in a refreshing 55F.  My foot squeaked once or twice but somehow I found a way to just slightly alter the way it lands and all is good.  I don't even know what the difference is, just that it usually works.

"During a marathon, I run about two-thirds of the time. That's plenty." - Margaret Davis, 85 Ed Whitlock regarding his 2:54:48 marathon at age 73, "That was a good day. It was never a struggle."

TammyinGP

the humidity is SO much lower out here though Opie! Wink and the racing is better

Tammy