Masters Running

Sun 9/21 runs and good racing (Read 482 times)

Yep...EWF definately rocks...have their box set...actually got to sit in with them some years ago during a concert at the Greensboro Coliseum. DickyG
    I bet that was awesome there, I tell you what! What do you play? roch...nice description of the bicycle tour Tramps......Ribs, arm twisting? Heck he was kicking *ss and taking names, not to mention resorting to name calling. "Losers" I believe was the term used. I wonder how you say that in Latin? Big grin Once he started with the strong arm tactics I quickly jumped ship. I aint afraid to admit it.....you don't mess with the Ribs, I tell you what! Big grin 4 easy miles for me this late Sunday morning. Groovin' to some Cross Canadian Ragweed (in my head, ala Tomwhite)
    Quit being so damn serious! When we change the way we look at things, the things we look at change. "Ya just gotta let it go." OM

i'm lovin' it... MM#1949

Most Excellent Tall!! Congratulations! Some great long runs like Peter's and Tramps... nice!

Perch's Profile "I don't know if running adds years to your life, but it definitely adds life to your years." - Jim Fixx "The secret is to make in your mind possible what was not possible before. The secret is to make easy what was difficult, instead to make difficult what really is easy." - Coach Renato Canova

Byll - it doesn't sound too far off the mark. Don't be so hard on yourself. But on what are you calculating the paces? Tall - sounds like a very cool race, except for your dry heaves! Congrats! Normally I would do a long run today, but I won't be able to get out till after dinner, and I'm not sure my foot could take 12 miles today anyway. I did throw out all my excuses for not running the local 10K in two weeks, and signed up online yesterday. So what if I don't PR? So I went to the toy store with 6 yr old daughter. We looked at some costumes..."how about a princess costume?", I said. "NEVER!", she said. No boy costumes either. I tried to convince her that witches were pretty cool...but no dice. They even had a "BAT GIRL" costume...thought of SteveP. Then we proceeded to the "dragon" department where she picked up 4 more figures to add to her collection. The scarier and creepier the better. I think I have a tomboy on my hands.

"During a marathon, I run about two-thirds of the time. That's plenty." - Margaret Davis, 85 Ed Whitlock regarding his 2:54:48 marathon at age 73, "That was a good day. It was never a struggle."

Just over 8 miles at a 10:31 pace. Keeping it slow. Piriformis remains troublesome but I am seeing a sports doctor on Friday - I had to wait 2 weeks to see him. Tall - post the race report soon - sounds like it was a great inaugural run. Enjoy today!

Suffering Benefiting from mature onset exercise addiction and low aerobic endorphin release threshold. Hoping there is no cure.

MM#209 / JapanJoyful#803

So many greta racing and training distances by so many boomers* this weekend that I couldn’t stand it any longer and broke my beloved current two-week taper for a last-ditch 4-mile training run for next week’s Belly Mary (which itself is going to be a gallowalk training run for the other fall marathons). *you too deb but, if you can run in Frees, you can probably run freer for a little ways on grass or smooth walkways. FYI, lots of the runningbarefoot.org gang with PF in shoes were told not to run barefoot but now that’s the only way they can.

"Enjoy yourself. Your younger days never come again." 100yo T. Igarashi to me in geta at top of Mt. Fuji (8/2/87)

Franc59

Half Fanatic #36

Just in case I get the free time to go run the Bellingham Marathon next week, I though of testing the legs with 20 slow miles on the trail this morning. My kind of weather!!... drizzle and cool enough , I'll give myself a couple more day to decide...Have a great evening all! Constantly overworked Francesca
              Teresadfp

One day at a time

Jeanne, I'll be thinking about your son. DH wandered around, literally and figuratively, all during his 20s. I think his parents gave up on him. Then he discovered engineering somehow, and everything fell into place. We joke that he needed to take the long journey, because he had to wait for me to grow up before we met! I was 22 and he was 30 when we started dating. Hang in there! I had a wonderful first HM today. The LONG version is posted in a separate thread. Short version is that running 1 minute / walking 1 minute worked great, and we finished in 2:31:36, for an overall pace of 11:35 mpm. I checked my log, and my last non-stop run of 11.5 miles before I was injured was done at 11:21! My running partner and I were really surprised at how (relatively!) fast we were running in the run portions. Under 8:00 at times! What a blast. I know Galloway isn't as hardcore as going non-stop, but it sure is fun! Now I'm still pumped up - my heart rate is still high. I need to cool my jets so I can get some sleep. Have a good week, everyone, and thanks for all your advice and encouragement.

Renee the dog

Just back a little while ago from my 8 miler. I ran it at a pretty good pace for the first 6 mi (around 8.5 min/mi) so that I could do the last 2 slower and catch what looked to be setting up to be a good sunset sky. Plan executed perfectly and I slowboated home looking at the heavens. Simply marvelous. Tall dry heaves? Sounds like you sure gave it your all. Wink So much else to comment on but this family wants dinner! Gotta go!

GOALS 2012: UNDECIDED

GOALS 2011: LIVE!!!

Way to go Tall and Team...Say hello to Topdown for me... I love Sundays....lots of football...
                    Looking for a place to Happen, making stops along the way - The Hip
                    dg.

Thanks Ribs! I hope the party was worth your sacrifice. What did you make? Oh boy, football. Wink. Tall, congratulations. wtg on all the long runs today. Tet, thanks. I might have a question for you, but I'll look around that site a little more first.
                      busiman

Running out of mistakes!

Nice weekend Tim! esp on the totals! Glad to see you're doing well today Holly! Jeanne, I'm sure it is tough to let him go...Basic will be tough but will also make him stronger. Nice long runs Tramps, PeterNC (scary hills!), and Lou (strong pace!) Congrats Tall! You've got amazing speed! I'm looking forward to the report. Today was my final day of training before tapering to Hartford. As my legs weren't injured and I was feeling good, I really packed it in. The Plan was run a local 5K in the middle of a 20-miler. - mini race report on - The 5K was held on road I drive every day to work so I knew the course pretty well. Due to family schedules, I didn't get there as early as planned, only got a couple of warmup miles in. I bumped into ProFromDover and a couple of local running friends. I wasn't sure how fast to pace, and before I could think about it much, we were off. Within a half mile I was in 3rd chasing down the 17minute leaders. Fortunately I backed off and ran my own pace. Mile 1 5:45. I let two guys pass me and hung out right behind them in 5th place. Mile 2 5:51. As we closed in to mile three the other guys opened up a gap. I'd like to say that if I didn't have the long run on my mind I would have stayed with them, but I wouldn't have. We turn the corner at 3 miles and I saw the clock ticking down. I saw that if I pushed it I might dip under my PR. Speeding up as much as I dared, I ran over the line in 18:28, a 7 second PR! Stats 18:28, 5:58 pace, 5th overall, 2nd in age group. Heart rate 165avg, 174 max. - mini race report off - After an all too quick break I went out on my usual 20-mile course. My typical problem of trying to go too fast in the beginning of a long run wasn't an issue. :-) For the most part I ran just under 8 minute pace, but I took more water breaks than usual and my heart rate was 10 beats higher than normal. The final two miles were definitely a grind, but I got into a rhythm and pace that I could hold. A couple of times I questioned the sanity of such a workout, but I was it too late (no shortcuts). I'm glad everything held together, no injuries, pulls, chaffing, or burns. My legs are very tired though...thank heaven tomorrow is rest and start of taper! Enjoy your evening all! Craig
                        -2009 running goals - sub-3 after Boston (probably VCM), 3 PRs, 2009 miles for the year, and no untreated injuries
                        also on Twitter
                          Just back from a three day trip that included a wedding between one of my best friends, running partners, and a great colleague as well. I am really happy for her and her new husband. They are off for a one week honeymoon in the Caribbean. All I can say is that I wish them well and a great life together. They are both wonderful people. The downside is that I have not a clue as to what has been going on here! Sorry folks. But I skimmed today's daily so let me at least congratulate Teresadfp on her first HM! Way to go! As to the rest of you celebrating international long run day (DickyG you should have snagged the copyright on that it might have been worth, . . ., worth, . . . , er, . . ., hmm, . . ., never mind Big grin) congratulations. There have been any number of 10+ mile runs these past two days and they all deserve a shout out. Where the heck is tselbs when he is needed! Wink Spareribs I did want to mention I was only half kidding about you making it into the 40/40 thread any week now! I still have money that says you do it in less than a month if you are not on track for this week. As for me here is the short version: 4 on Friday with DW, 20 with 5 a MP on Saturday all by my lonesome, and 8 with DW today. That is it for details. Also, this will be a work week I may not survive. I doubt I will get to post much here other than my runs. Sorry, I feel bad not truly being a part of the daily conversation here. I miss it. It is great getting to know people here and follow their stories. Meeting RA posters at events is icing on the cake. I will do my best to keep reading though.

Live like you are dying not like you are afraid to die.

Drunken Irish Soda Bread and Irish Brown Bread this way -->  http://allrecipes.com/cook/4379041/

wildchild

Carolyn

Finally have time to read the daily and the RRs, late on Sunday evening. Some great runs and races, too many to comment on individually, but I did enjoy reading it all! Tall, sounds like you were "embracing the puke!" Whose expression was that, anyway? Jeanne, I think the fact that you're worrying if you've been a good mom means you are one for sure. Bad moms don't worry about it. Hugs to you - I'm sure its hard to see your son go off to boot camp, and I hope it turns out to be a good choice for him. No running at all for me this weekend. Sad I'm sure Tazzie and Ladybug aren't happy about it either. We spent all weekend working on the house project. Two friends came up today, and we got the big roof panels on - so happy its done! We use stress-skin panels, which are 12-inch thick foam core with OSB panels glued to either side. They're big and fairly heavy, and we definitely needed extra help to haul them up to the 3rd story roof. They have excellent R-value, and we used them on our whole house, 12-inch panels for the roof and 8-inch panels for the walls. The rest of the remodel project is stuff DH can do on his own, and he hopes to have the new space completely done in a week or so. I was hoping I'd pass the 1000 mile mark this weekend, but no such luck. Oh, well. Going up and down to the 3rd floor many times this weekend and hauling heavy panels was good cross training.

I hammered down the trail, passing rocks and trees like they were standing still.