Masters Running

Stevie Ray's Seattle Marathon Report (Read 263 times)

xor

As promised in the 5-in-1 report's teaser, here is my Seattle Marathon race report. It was the best of times and the worst of times. It was fun. And I suck. Comedy and tragedy. Ah, who am I kidding. It's just running. As always, links to tons of different reports can be found over there.

evanflein

Another great read, as usual! I loved this race last year but all the concrete really did a number on my feet. The run around Seward Park is great and that bridge out-and-back is awesome in good weather (which we had in 2007). I can imagine it's a beast with wind and rain. Not a bad ending at all with that moment of epiphany from yellow-shirt-guy.

Head Procrastinator

Just finished reading this and the last ones posted. Love your reporting and pictures and thoughts. Run on Robert!
        ~ My Profile~ The avatar is happy BOC wootcats
        xor

Yes, on a bad weather year (wind for sure, sideways rain, perhaps snow), the race is an order of magnitude more challenging. And less enjoyable, unless you find pleasure in doing really hard things. I was going to say "and cold temperatures" in my bad weather list, but I don't want evanflein to laugh at me.

"canister of Roger Banister" ok, that was funny. Thanks for the virtual run down memory lane. I like Interlaken...that is my favourite part of the half. So quiet and green and so gently uphill you don't notice it much. At least not at my snail pace.

"During a marathon, I run about two-thirds of the time. That's plenty." - Margaret Davis, 85 Ed Whitlock regarding his 2:54:48 marathon at age 73, "That was a good day. It was never a struggle."

xor

"canister of Roger Banister" ok, that was funny. Thanks for the virtual run down memory lane. I like Interlaken...that is my favourite part of the half. So quiet and green and so gently uphill you don't notice it much. At least not at my snail pace.
              Thanks. Inky, it's not the pace that makes Interlaken hurt. It's location location location. M8.5 of a half? Can be bad. Not always. M21.5 of a full? Tis a cruel cruel world. But that is a peaceful section. In one sense, it's a great hill for placing taiko drummers at the bottom. That could be inspiring. OTOH, that would totally wreck the charm of that particular section.

xor

Look, it's Yellow Shirt Guy! Image and video hosting by TinyPic (and me, in my typical finish line pose. Sigh.)

jfa

Infreegincredible SR !! Why don't you keep a log of all your races? It would be fun for us to look at.

xor

Infreegincredible SR !! Why don't you keep a log of all your races? It would be fun for us to look at.
                    There is a list of all my races, including the short ones in my calendar. The top is 2008. Scroll down for 2007 and further down for 2006. If you want to see a list of all my marathons and ultras w/ results (but no shorter races), there's my maniac page. I don't keep a log here on RA because I already have too many places to put stuff.

jfa

I don't keep a log here on RA because I already have too many places to put stuff.
                      Yep, now I see why.You're a busy guy. Infreegincredible

MM#209 / JapanJoyful#803

well, it seems to have taken another marvelous mega-marathoning year but glad you're feelin' as good about the 2007 edition as you looked on the out-and-backs. Somehow, I'm sure the 2008 SM will be even better too when you do it in 2009.

"Enjoy yourself. Your younger days never come again." 100yo T. Igarashi to me in geta at top of Mt. Fuji (8/2/87)

Maniac 505

Enke, I agree with you about Interlaken, I do a lot of my long runs over this area (I often start at the marathon finish line and head out and back) even when I do the full, I usually don't notice the climb through this area because it is so pretty. lets see if Robert agrees, If you like Interlaken, and you feel like traveling, look at the flying monkey. my recollection is that it was like interlaken with the leaves changing, but for 26.2 miles!!!