Masters Running

Thursday's Daily, 10.18.12 (Read 338 times)

coastwalker

Mornin' everyone.

Tramps, yes we did feel the earthquake on Tuesday evening. It sounded like a big truck slowly rumbling past the house, and felt like that too. There wasn't nearly enough movement to cause anything to move or any damage.

It was nice to hear from Mary yesterday, and I'm looking forward to seeing her new pup.

Best of luck to Mustang Sally and Mustang Mom in NZ! I hope it is a great trip for them, in all respects.

Congrats on the new granddaughters, Mike - they look so tiny (and so cute)! Thanks also for the update on Joe - awesome.

With all the work that you're doing, Leslie, I'm glad that you are making sure that you get enough sleep. The running will be there when you can take a breather.

5.3 racewalking miles at 4:20 this morning. It was 41F, clear, and there was just a hint of a breeze. There were lots of deer out in the neighborhood this morning, and they all took off for the woods as I approached. I also saw a woman out running with her dog, and both had headlamps on. Not the first time I've seen that dog, but it makes me smile every time. No Garmin today - just a technique tune-up, and I was nicely-fatigued when I got back. Had a good cup a' coffee a little later (in my mouth, not out through my nose...).

Have a good day!  -  Jay

Without ice cream there would be darkness and chaos.

Slo

Jay - I haven't seen a headlamp on a dog but I have seen lights attached to the collar.

9.2 miles for me. Felt spunky so I cranked up the pace in the middle miles.

Not much to report, I'm very happy with my running and am on a nice consecutive day running streak that I haven't seen in awhile.

A couple of local races coming up...anxious to run the Monkey !

Dave59

After a really rough week or so with some stomach problems I am feeling a lot better the last couple days.  4 miles of running yesterday.  Today was a trip to the gym for weights and the ARC trainer.  I'm going to sit around and work in my stinky clothes for a while and hope to run a couple miles at lunch as long as it isn't thunder storming.

Looks like the weekend is going to be a leaf raking marathon.  I am going to load up my little mp3 (sansa clip) player with some podcasts and work at it until I am done.

Tramps

Jay—glad your quake wasn’t any more serious.  That dog must have looked funny.

Dave—I have two words for you:  mulching mower.

Slo—is that your dog in the avatar?  Sleeping on your pedal?!

The grandkid pictures this week come at a time when I’m also scanning some old family pictures and slides.  The contrast really is amazing.  Photos are so abundant now; many kids’ lives are virtually archived in photographs and videos.  In contrast, I realized there are no pictures of my father as a child, with the exception of an 8th grade graduation class photo.  There are about 2 or 3 photos of my mother as a child.  They didn’t have money for what was a luxury in those days (20s and 30s).  Also, later family snapshots (in this case slides) from the 50s and 60s are of really poor quality compared to what even an inexpensive digital camera can achieve today.  It’s interesting to speculate about the affect this will have on how future adults remember their childhood. 

Time to get more hills in, so I did my hilly 8.6 mile route.  Went well.

Be safe. Be kind.

Marathon Maniac #957

Love the grandbaby photos!

Jay - what's shakin'?  Smile

Storm coming in this morning, so I stayed on the TM:

1 mile WU

(5 minute slow-to-fast segments – 10:00, 9:31, 9:05, 8:41, 8:06)  x  4

(6.0, 6.3, 6.6, 6.9, 7.3 mph) 

1 minute walk

(1 min. @ 8:06/1 min. @ 10:00)  x  10

5 miles total.

DD, up early, came out wanting to go running with me (wearing my Sugoi tights, no less) but the rain deterred her.  Maybe tonight.

Life is a headlong rush into the unknown. We can hunker down and hope nothing hits us or we can stand tall, lean into the wind and say, "Bring it on, darlin', and don't be stingy with the jalapenos."

Slo

Slo—is that your dog in the avatar?  Sleeping on your pedal?!

Nope...just a photo I came across when I Googled Images for Dogs and bikes. I liked that one...didn't serve the purpose I was looking for though.

Dave59

Dave—I have two words for you:  mulching mower.

I tried that one year and my lawn didn't look good the next year.  It took a couple months before all the little chopped up pieces (which had all turned black) to finally disappear.

Looks like the weekend is going to be a leaf raking marathon. 

YOWZA//////////.....we need tselbs back in here.......

''my Uncle Walt

won the Sarhara Forrest Rake-A-Thon back in 1908''

''but the Sahara is a desert''

''yeah, NOW''

=============

...but I digress.......

hurting a little from PT but added 2-more moves.

so Wall-Squats

and BirdDogs to the list

....................good running guys

..nothing takes the place of persistence.....

Mike, I was glad to hear the good news about Joe and to see the grand daughter pictures.

This morning, it was in the mid 50s and windy.  I got in 8 miles at an 11:03 pace.  Shortly after finishing, it started raining pretty steadily for several hours.  I guess my timing was lucky, and good.

A good day and good runs for all.

TomS

We haven't had a good shake here in Northern California in awhile, although there are little quakes every day.  We're do.

How did they strap the headlamp to the dog??  I love my headlamp.  It keeps me upright in the predawn hours.

And on that note, I'm still not doing anything exercise-wise.  Although I did have quite the nightmare last night and woke The Hub up yelling, "Help . . . Me!  Help . . . Me!"  I remember something evil had a hold of me (i.e., Amityville Horror) and was jerking me up and down in the air.  My heart was racing 90 miles an hour when I woke up.  Scared the crap outta me!

Leslie
                      Living and Running Behind the Redwood Curtain
                      -------------

Trail Runner Nation

Sally McCrae-Choose Strong

Bare Performance

aka FlyingFinn

MikeE, cute pictures!

Tramps, that is an interesting thing to speculate about. I have just one picture of my dad as a boy and none of my mother as a child, while we have boxes and boxes of prints of our kids and family, and now an abundance of digital images of grandkids. We’ve always enjoyed digging out old prints and sharing stories with our kids and grandkids, stories about them and about the older generations. We like to show them how their dad looked as a baby; show them great grandparents holding them as a baby, etc. I hope our kids do the same with their kids as they grow, somehow with the digital images, and tell stories. On the digital topic today I heard an interesting interview on the radio with the author of “Alone Together: Why We Expect More from Technology and Less from Each Other.” Interesting comments from the kids (teens) in the book about the digital age they are native to.

5 miles of hills this afternoon in heavy rain and wind. If I’d waited it would have been a nice dry run!

Fencing tonight.

Instructions for living a life:

Pay attention. Be astonished. Tell about it.   ~~~Mary Oliver

4 miles this morning....Now going to my daughter's Choir Concert...

Gordon

Looking for a place to Happen, making stops along the way - The Hip

That was fun to read about Mustang Sally and her mom.  I hope they do great!  MikeE, the twins are adorable! Aren't grandchildren wonderful? Leaf raking is something we hired last year and they made quick work of it.  DH had a total hip replacement last October so we did that the easy way.

Just a quick post tonight.  I am so exhausted I can't think about running but plan to tomorrow (note to self..find dorky headlamp and reflector vest). I took my mom to the doctor today for a physical to get some issues checked out.  The doctor is an elderly semi-permanent temp doctor that used to practice at Mayo.  He reminds me of Bob Barker Smile

Mom didn't really want to go, but I'm glad we did even though it took most of my afternoon. Now I do need to follow up on her Graves disease.  He thinks that the best way is the radioactive iodine treatment.  We'll go to Sioux Falls on Halloween for that appointment.

Tramps, I have all of my mom's photo albums here at my house and should really get them out and have her tell me the stories that go with the photos.  I've had that on my "to do" list for a while now.  Maybe I'll record her voice using my digital tape recorder. I use that when we go to doctor appointments.  Anyway, her albums are pretty well organized, but the slides need to be dealt with (you can really scan them?).  I still have the projecter.  Maybe the next time my siblings are all here we can have a party like in the old days.  My husband's family has a lot of 8mm home movies that are fun to watch.  Someone has them all on VCR tapes.  I know that my digital photo filing system is a mess, plus the sites I use to upload aren't much better.

We've had a soggy, windy rainy day but sure need the moisture.  I work at the utility office and we have imposed a watering ban until further notice. No car washing either, not that that's going to bother me much. Now people will start calling to tattle on their neighbors. 

“Courage is not defined by those who fought and did not fall, but by those who fought, fell, and rose again.” — Adrienne Rich