Masters Running

Sunday Mar. 15 Master Runs and Workouts (Read 450 times)

wildchild

Carolyn

Mmmm.. Hershey's syrup! I don't tolerate milk well, but I love Chocolate silk. (soymilk) PDR, nice 20 mile rematch, with some fast miles at the end. Well done! Jules, greta job taking 1st in AG in your half! Did you win anything good? Congrats to the Saint on a big PR too! Eliz, congrats on a speedy 10 miler, and nice remembrance of your dad. I'm sure he'd be proud. I've been having lots of carpy runs lately, so today was finally my turn for a good one. 10 hilly untimed miles, 42° and overcast, and I felt pretty good the whole time. Not fast, but that's why I didn't wear the Garmin, so I wouldn't be concerned about speed. This is the first 10-miler and first 30-mile week in a month, so hopefully whatever was causing those carpy runs is behind me. Today is my anniversary - I met DH 27 years ago, and we got married 20 years ago. We consider this our 27th anniversary, as we considered ourselves common-law married before we got "officially" married.

I hammered down the trail, passing rocks and trees like they were standing still.

Franc59

Half Fanatic #36

Crazy weather in the Seattle area for sure!!!! Woke up to snow falling in huge flakes......got to the trail for my run and the wind was fierce.....then the rain started and I decided to cut my run short after 13.5 because I was too miserable to continue..my wet shirt plastered to my back was really unpleasant....now it is sunny so I'll head out for another few after work!!!! Have a great Sunday all, spring is really around the corner!!!!! Francesca
      Henrun

Many good runs today. SR, great pacing and congrats to the Saint. Marj and I continued our marathon training today by doing a half at New Bedford, Ma. Marj paced me for the first 6 miles. She slowed me down when I tried to speed up and I ended up with a slight negative split although my time wasn't great and I finished 8/9. Placement is usually more important to me than time and I usually do well but all the speedsters in my AG were there today. However, I was the oldest runner out there and 75 runners finished behind me. Marj did well after she took off and completed the run 9 minutes faster than my finish. She could have done a lot better had she run on her own all the way. But, her selflessness makes her all the more adorable to meBlush. New Bedford is the old whaling capital of New England and they feed you fish sandwiches and fish chowder after the raceTongue.
          Congrats to the Saint. Well done! Holly, Great race you have re-found your speed. I remember last year when you could not figure why your runs were getting slower. You will have a banner year I predict and of course I am such the all seer of such things. Wink 10 miles 1:31:30 in my new Mizuno's, Not sure if I like them yet. I have run in Brooks for so long and I was hesitant to try anything new but the last three pair have bothered my toes on runs over 10 miles. I think I need a wider toe box. The shoe store recomended these as comparable to what I had but with a softer feel upper. They still seemed tight but they are new maybe after a few weeks they will be just right. Besides that they worked great. Like I told my wife , this time of year I buy a new pair every other month anyways so if they don't work out I can always go back to Brooks. Been laying ceramic tile all weekend and my glutes are quite sore especially after my run this afternoon. Lots of stretching tonight hopefully will loosen things up a bit. Good runs all Larry

Chumbawamba: I get knocked down But I get up again You're never going to keep me down

Henrun

Marj's $.02 - actually it was a cool learning experience. I've never picked off so many runners nor have i felt so strong at mile 10. Negative splits can leave you much stronger for the end of the run. Marj

MM#209 / JapanJoyful#803

I wonder if these belong to anyone we know?? I wonder if anyone here can interpret the Japanese writing on these "shoes"http://seattlepi.nwsource.com/photos/popupV2.asp?SubID=4695&page=3>itle=St.%20Patrick%27s%20Day%20Dash.
              arigatou gozaimasu dave senchou divechief-san. My feet thank you. Today's snow and rain makes me love the 5K distance after all, especially not being in the nearby Des Moines Creek six hour run or the Leprechaun Marathon. The slop and wind even brought poop-and-mud Bridle-Trails francesca to a halt after "only" 13 miles in her training run today. I think SRL made a wise choice being at the Little Rock Marathon for his #200.

"Enjoy yourself. Your younger days never come again." 100yo T. Igarashi to me in geta at top of Mt. Fuji (8/2/87)

Happy anniversary, Wildchild!
                Quit being so damn serious! When we change the way we look at things, the things we look at change. "Ya just gotta let it go." OM

King of PhotoShop

Many good runs today. SR, great pacing and congrats to the Saint. Marj and I continued our marathon training today by doing a half at New Bedford, Ma. Marj paced me for the first 6 miles. She slowed me down when I tried to speed up and I ended up with a slight negative split although my time wasn't great and I finished 8/9. Placement is usually more important to me than time and I usually do well but all the speedsters in my AG were there today. However, I was the oldest runner out there and 75 runners finished behind me. Marj did well after she took off and completed the run 9 minutes faster than my finish. She could have done a lot better had she run on her own all the way. But, her selflessness makes her all the more adorable to meBlush. New Bedford is the old whaling capital of New England and they feed you fish sandwiches and fish chowder after the raceTongue.
                  Henry, one of the things I admire you most for is how self-effacing you are. You ran Boston many times when it was a hell of a tough race to get into. And now as a "senior" runner you two continue to travel around, bike, run, enter races you think will be fun, and always give it your best. You are still one tough runner, but you have such a great sense of balance about it all. I saw your later post about pushing during the later stages of a run. Only people in great shape can do that. So that this is not one of those tacit understandings, I just want you to know how much I admire you and Marj and your great racing spirit. I wonder how many people here remember your famous post about bicycling off a frozen bridge and falling into a stream. You made it sound like a trip to the Safeway. You are the coolest Henry. Spareribs
                  Henrun

Ribs, ThanksBig grin
                      Wild - happy anniversaries - of your meeting and your wedding. Holly - mmmm, Quick; mmmmm, Hershey's syrup. Both bring back memories of childhood that made the girl I am today! Ran 3.1 and walked 1.0 in a light rain today, so I sort of ran a HM this weekend after 10 on Saturday, and I'm actually believing that a real HM will be do-able for me in the fall. Thrilled that my legs weren't too stiff after driving home from NJ. Have to start getting more miles in during the week so that I can take a rest day after Saturday's long run. Glad that one of my after-school obligations ends this week so that I have the potential to get home at a reasonable hour at least one day. Eliz

flomotioncoaching.com

Divechief-those are laces, maybe not very well drawn, but you can tell by the loops! Teresa, congrtas to your son on another fine performance, being a proud parent is a wonderful experience, isn't it? Ribs, I enjoyed the Newhart joke, congrats to "the Saint." Henry, sounds like you two enjoy yourselves, and that's really what it's all about, right? Simon.

PBs since age 60:  5k- 24:36, 10k - 47:17. Half Marathon- 1:42:41.

10 miles (unofficial) 1:16:44.

busiman

Running out of mistakes!

Nice long runs breger, Perch, Lou, Holly (and congrats!), evanflein (hard to jump right back after travel), and francs59 (heavy clothes are a drag) Well done Eliz! Thanks for sharing about your dad. Big contrats to The Saint and her PR! WTG Jules! Great time AND a AG win? Can't beat that! Happy Anniversary WC! Henrun, I consider NBHM a tough course, typically because of the wind. Nice job both of you! I had a wonderful long run in the frozen tundra, aka Burlington VT this morning. I met up with the GMAA folks and ran up the length of the bike path. It came out to be bit under 21, so I ran down the block to round it out. We started it at about 8min pace, but after 7miles we were in the groove and sped up a bit. I think I did miles 7 - 17 at about 7:15 pace, then eased up (mostly so I could finish w/o walking). The average came out to 7:30 pace. My Polar succeeded once again at foiling any more analysis... The best part was getting to do a lot of the Vermont Marathon course. It was gorgeous and fun to run on the bike path. The lake was still frozen, but probably not for long. After my run, we hopped in the car and drove back to Boston, where it was over 60!...the two extremes were very disorienting. Tongue I couldn't resist snapping a quick one of the late (sorry bout the sweaty guy that got in the pic) Share photos on twitter with Twitpic
                          -2009 running goals - sub-3 after Boston (probably VCM), 3 PRs, 2009 miles for the year, and no untreated injuries
                          also on Twitter
                          Cashmason

The Saint ran her half this morning in IRC. My job was to pace her. I thought I had ruined her race in the very first mile as I sensed we were going out too fast. I tried to keep the pace slow, aiming for a 9:45, but then I saw we were just behind the 2:10 pacer and I know we expect to come in before him. So like a dope instead of trusting my judgment and laying back, I stay right with him to the one mile mark. The split: 9:10. I was so fightin' mad at this mistake. I rectified the count on mile two and ran that one in 10:01. We had only one other mile over ten minutes and that was mile 12 when she was really tiring. But she ran super, and even kicked it in from about 200 yards before the 13 mile mark to the end. She never walked once and didn't complain! I am super proud of her. Final time 2:06:26, a ten minute PR. Spareribs
                            Woot! Fantastic job by the Saint ! Cash
                            Cashmason

After blowing up last Sunday, I had a rematch with my 20-mile workout today. I so worried that I'd be slow and tired again, but it was a near-perfect training run. First 10 miles, slow and steady: average pace: 10:41 Second 10 miles, BQMP: 9:17 (with 3 miles under 9, and 1 under 8:30) ...and this on a pretty hilly course I'm quite pleased. OK - I'm off to catch up on things around here. I need to read about Holly's 5k!
                              Great job PDR !