Masters Running

USATF National Junior Olympic XC Championship (Read 166 times)

Teresadfp

One day at a time

Here's what I posted on another board. Whoo hoo!! "DS16 went down with some other boys from Maine to run in this championship 5k meet in Virginia today. I barely got him to the airport yesterday morning in the big ice storm. Somehow the plane got off the ground. While I was taking him, our power went off. It was off all day today, too, so I couldn't find out the results of the meet. The phone numbers of the chaperones were on my computer, so I couldn't even call anyone to find out what happened. The power finally came back on, and I learned that his team won their division (16-year-olds). It wasn't even close - their team scored 53 points, and second place was 95 points. DS finished 19th out of 213 boys, in 16:38. Not close to a PR, so he will be annoyed at himself. He came in 4th for his team, but he managed to beat the Class B Maine champion by a second, so he will be happy about that. I can't believe his team won! He will be on cloud nine. On to indoor track season now." He gets back tomorrow morning, so if he has any interesting details, I will let you know. We were without power for over 36 hours. Thank goodness, DH had a transfer switch installed awhile back to make it easier to use a generator. We still had issues with the fuel line freezing up, etc., but at least we kept the heat on and the water pump going. Now I have a lot of dishes and laundry to wash! Cool Cool A Proud Mama

Marathon Maniac #957

Wow! Congratulations to DS16 and his team! He's only 16 - I expect there will be many more victories like these in years to come for him. Glad you made it through the power outtage. Definitely makes you appreciate the little things.

Life is a headlong rush into the unknown. We can hunker down and hope nothing hits us or we can stand tall, lean into the wind and say, "Bring it on, darlin', and don't be stingy with the jalapenos."

King of PhotoShop

Well done for him Teresa. Thanks for letting us know. A big day in your house. Spareribs
          What a great performance and experience for you son and his team. You and your husband have every right to be proud. TomS
          dg.

Teresa, that's great news!! Please congratulation him for me. You all have every reason to be proud. You must have gone nuts waiting for the results! What timing for a power outage.
            HermosaBoy

AWESOME!!!

And you can quote me as saying I was mis-quoted. Groucho Marx

Rob

Very impressive! Give him a congratulations from me.
                Quit being so damn serious! When we change the way we look at things, the things we look at change. "Ya just gotta let it go." OM
                lamerunner

Congratulations to your son!!!! he and his team ran very strong. The Lakers have a number of good teams. It is great you have a team at that age group too. We had a couple of Intermediate individuals but the teams were all Youth or younger, around here the High School coaches generally don't like the kids running for the Club teams; our season overlaps theirs a bit and then they want the kids to rest. We do get some freshmen as Youth runners. My Youth girls placed sixth, good result for them, no superstar but several very solid runners and great kids. Youth boys won. Pretty exciting day!! I really like the course too and the weather was super, cold and clear. You must be proud!
                  Teresadfp

One day at a time

Thanks, guys! He was supposed to arrive home yesterday at 10:55 am, but his plane was delayed so that they missed their connection in New York. The next plane was overbooked, so they ended up flying to Boston and taking two vans home to Maine (paid for by Delta). It was 8:45 pm when they arrived at the Portland airport! He had a grand time. He's usually kind of a reserved kid, and he really enjoyed letting loose with the other wilder boys. They would hoot and holler and draw lots of funny looks from everyone! The chaperones were smart - Friday night, they told the boys that IF they went to sleep on time, they could have a party the next night in a reserved party room. The strategy worked pretty well, apparently. DS was still surprised at some of the language and antics, though! One unexpected bonus: Since he finished in the top 25, he got "All-American" honors. I think it sounds more prestigious than it actually is, but it will look good on college resumes, lol. Lame, your Youth teams did well! Yes, usually DS is more careful about racing in the off-season (the first indoor track meet is Saturday, and I don't think he is going to run in it), but his coach didn't voice any objections this time. I think he liked seeing kids from all over the state run together. It will make the XC meets next year even more fun for them all. DS loves XC, but he's looking forward to track, because it's so much easier to pace yourself. He still hasn't figured out how to judge how hard to run in an XC race. He feels like he should have run the first mile of Saturday's race SLOWER (he did it in 4:56), and the last one FASTER (but he said that's hard to judge, because you might literally collapse if you push too hard). I guess he will keep learning!
                    wildchild

Carolyn

Teresa, congrats to your son and his team - well done!

I hammered down the trail, passing rocks and trees like they were standing still.