Masters Running

Do You All Realize What Time it Is? Wednesday 10/28 Daily (Read 32 times)

We are going to have to rename this the somewhat daily if I can start it at 11am EDT! Get on the ball, or road, or treadmill or whatever people! 

coastwalker too bad about the butt, but why does that let you off starting the daily at 5am? Who gave you time off? Still, I hope the pain soon subsides.

tomwhite it is really nice to see your daily progress.

stumpy77 I guess you can darn them if they turn out not to be that durable! 

gooey2goofy welcome to the daily! Does the Goofy part of your handle refer to the Disney Goofy?

Mike E good thing you got to the airport early!  Would not want to be late for your flight! 

henrun I had not idea you were a psychiatrist!

Mariposai word is those gym workouts are really easy. 

evanflein at this rate you will be able to start the daily. Good luck with the staffing issues.

Holly S. nice to read about the dogs recovery.

I ran 7 miles today. I am starting to think I should do some track work to get back in shape. In other news, registration for the 2016 Reach the Beach Relay just opened up. Do they realize it is still October? 

Live like you are dying not like you are afraid to die.

Drunken Irish Soda Bread and Irish Brown Bread this way -->  http://allrecipes.com/cook/4379041/

King of PhotoShop

Been out of touch, as I've been out of town and not much running either.  Tried to stalk the Tamster, but made it only as far as Salem and gave up. So I stayed there for a few days and did some work for a client.  Got home last night at midnight, had a sandwich and watched the final innings of the Mets-Royals game.

Ran just 2+ miles today and felt like it was my first day of running ever. I just don't run well after getting off the plane following a hard two days of work. Tomorrow will be a better day.  Spareribs

I'm doing some catching up as I haven't posted since Sat.  Jay, I'm glad to hear your race went well.  moebo, nice picture of the lake and fall colors.  Good marathons for Mike and Aamos.  Econo, way to go in your 5K trail race with hills and rain.  gooey, welcome.

Nice long runs for moebo and evan.

Yesterday, it was in the low 40s and there was a light wind.  I did 6 miles at an 11:09 pace.  This morning, it was about 50, rainy, and windy.  I did 5 miles on the TM at an 11:03 pace.

A good day and good runs for all.

TomS

Marathon Maniac #957

Howdy!

I went for a re-check at my oral surgeon yesterday, and he said, "So, this has been some great running weather lately, right?"  To which I said, "Absolutely, but my oral surgeon has banned me from running for three weeks."  "I was just checking." he said.  

DD had basketball tryouts Monday and Tuesday evenings and made the team, so the daily practices begin tonight.  It was such a short break.....

45 minutes on the bike trainer this morning.  Dexter gets his stitches out today!

Life is a headlong rush into the unknown. We can hunker down and hope nothing hits us or we can stand tall, lean into the wind and say, "Bring it on, darlin', and don't be stingy with the jalapenos."

Sayhey! MM#130

SO did you at least get a prize for passing the oral surgeon's test?

I am trying to be cheery after another one of those "building meetings" where we had an "icebreaker" and all sorts of things directed to us as if we were in junior high.  So.not.motivating.

Yes, MikeE, the double amputee was right around the bridge, perhaps just after when I saw him.  (I noticed [or perceived, perhaps erroneously] a headwind on the bridge; seemed like the longest part of the race.)  BTW, you make it home yet????

Hi Ribs!  Which team you rooting for in the Serious?   Hi Tom!

Ran 6 easy last night, with 2 bridge RTs--trying to build up the glutes so as to stop that leaning to the right thing--then 6 even easier this am just on the regular route.   And I get to taper next week, as the Ft. Myers Marathon is Nov. 8.  It will be warmish, I predict.

Have good afternoons,

A

ps: did twocat sorta kinda call us out on being lazy????

https://agratefullifedotnet.wordpress.com/  (for a piece or two of my mind)

Cute story Holly.  And good news about the BB team, apart from the driving around.

No run, because I needed the extra sleep.  That's ok.  I'll just eat another cookie here and watch my waist get bigger...

It's Wednesday!  And you all know what that means!  Date night - going to another Seattle Restaurant week restaurant tonight - 3 courses for 30 dollars - at a top tier restaurant.  We did this last Wednesday, and the food was terrific - expected to be even better tonight.

"During a marathon, I run about two-thirds of the time. That's plenty." - Margaret Davis, 85 Ed Whitlock regarding his 2:54:48 marathon at age 73, "That was a good day. It was never a struggle."

...Rest Day.......

Whonker Blister on my big toe.

..I asked Pickles (a nurse) to look at it

''it's REALLY big'' she said

''Can I stick it?'' I inquired innocently

.........without going into the rest of the conversation, I'll just just say ''Rest Day today''

...........good running guys............Never Ask a Question you won't like the answer to....

..nothing takes the place of persistence.....

moebo

Twocat, I saw your hint about the Reach the Beach relay. To tell you the truth, I am tempted! Of course it is much too early for me to know what I'll be doing next September, but it's already in the back of my mind...

tomwhite, a blister is good news--means you are working hard!

Ribs, sorry about the Mets' loss--hopefully it will go your way tonight.

gooey2goofy, hello! I am new here, too. They're a pretty friendly bunch.

Holly, congratulations to your DD. How much longer before you can run?

Enke, have fun on your date night!

I got out this morning for an uneventful 5 miles.

Some of you might enjoy this article that appears in the current issue of The New Yorker:

http://www.newyorker.com/news/sporting-scene/how-new-york-city-made-the-modern-marathon?intcid=mod-latest?reload

Henrun

Moebo, thanks for the link- an excellent article. I couldn't find it in my printed edition of the New Yorker so it must have been online only. I only have one critique of the ariicle. It stated that the Boston Marathon was only for "serious runners" in 1976. That was my first Boston and I'm not so sure how serious I was at that time- I got you number through an organization I belonged to, although I did qualify for 7 more. Incidentally, I got to meet Fred Lebow in Boston- he was larger in life than the mythology about his effect on running.

moebo

Henrun--I have to think that, if you qualified seven more times after 1976, you must have been pretty talented, even if you weren't a "serious" type! Pretty amazing that you met Fred Lebow in Boston, too.

I got the link from my son, who does a lot of poking around online, and assumed it was something I had missed in print (that happens a lot!), but it must be one of the online-only articles...

stumpy77

Trails are hard!

Doing a "Mike" at Philadelphia airport. My 7:30 flight home is presently scheduled for 10 pm. However, I did spring for dinner. There is a certain advantage to being on expense account, but I don't miss too many meals. 

Good article. Took a break from my year old New Yorker.

Need a fast half for late fall.  Then I need to actually train for it.

MM#209 / JapanJoyful#803

I only have one critique of the ariicle. It stated that the Boston Marathon was only for "serious runners" in 1976. That was my first Boston and I'm not so sure how serious I was at that time

Well, even if, in your own mind, you were not a "serious" runner, any one qualifying for Boston in those day had to be a very good, and fast, runner.  It must have been a thrill to have been good enough to run Boston just a few years after Frank Shorter's Olympic gold medal in 1972 pretty much triggered the marathon boom that eventually captured all the rest of us too.  Sure would like to read more about your experiences running with the legends.  You're sure one to us.

ps - poor holly.

I was expecting the story to end with your doctor saying you've improved so well that you better get out for a few runs while the weather is so good.   He should have given you a gold medal. You've sure earned it  Very impressive

"Enjoy yourself. Your younger days never come again." 100yo T. Igarashi to me in geta at top of Mt. Fuji (8/2/87)

MM#209 / JapanJoyful#803

Well, even if, in your own mind, you were not a "serious" runner, anyone qualifying for Boston in those day had to be a very good, and fast, runner.  It must have been a thrill to have been good enough to run Boston just a few years after Frank Shorter's Olympic gold medal in 1972 pretty much triggered the marathon boom that eventually captured all the rest of us too.  Sure would like to read more about your experiences running with the legends.  You're sure one to us.

ps - poor holly.

I was expecting the story to end with your doctor saying you've improved so well that you better get out for a few runs while the weather is so good.   He should have given you a gold medal. You've sure earned it  Very impressive

"Enjoy yourself. Your younger days never come again." 100yo T. Igarashi to me in geta at top of Mt. Fuji (8/2/87)