Masters Running

Happy Thursday, December 18th, 2014--only seven shopping days left............ (Read 31 times)

stumpy77

Trails are hard!

I'm going to sneak in with a tiny little 2.5 miles this morning.  It was along some bay just north of Atlantic City that I'm too lazy to look up its name.  About a 25 mph headwind on the way out, but a very nice tailwind on the way back.  I usually manage to do it the other way.

I judge how busy my morning at work was by how many times I have to microwave my coffee.  I like mine hot, too.

Finishing up with my startup down here that has gone pretty smoothly.  (knocking on wood), so very behind on reading AND running.  Of course, coming into the end without much to do makes me nervous--it usually means I forgot something important.  Vacation until the end of the year starts Friday night.

Good runs to all.

Need a fast half for late fall.  Then I need to actually train for it.

coastwalker

Mornin' Stumpy, and everyone else too!

Nice bay run, Stumpy. Congrats on finishing up the start up.

Thanks for the poetry, Tet.

We have a Krups coffee maker that came with a thermos carafe. No self-timer, no incorporated grinder. It's at least 10 years old, and still works like new and keeps the coffee hot for a good 2-3 hours. If I had to replace it, I'd look for another one just like it. I grind my blend of beans each night for the next morning's coffee, and it works out well.

I channeled my inner TwoCat this morning (a scary concept in and of itself) and stayed in instead of venturing out on another rainy morning. I stretched and did core work instead for a well-spent early morning.

Have a greta Thursday!

Jay

Without ice cream there would be darkness and chaos.

Slo

The Coffee Brewer Saga...So right before I go out to buy another one because I really need that first cup in the morning I decided to give the current one another try. The damn thing worked. It's built such that you can not take it apart. (Screw heads you can only tighten and not remove). I'm guessing there was some sort of thermistor that tripped and just need time to cool and reset...I dunno.

Christmas shopping...I am taking Monday and Tuesday as PTO days. Guess what I'll be doing.

4.7 Fartlekking around. Trying to get some resemblence of speed work in each week.

Ahhhh - nothing says Christmas like a bunch of crazed men running around the mall in a panic three days before

I think my next coffee pot purchase will be a Krups, Jay. Thanks for the tip.

Enjoy your Christmas vacation Kevin. Speaking of Christmas Vacation, has anyone seen that movie yet this year? I love the scene when Chevy Chase asks his aunt to say grace before dinner and she starts the Pledge of Allegiance.

5 miles around and around and around the track at the Y this morning. Boy, that's hard on your knees. Then I did 30 minutes of weights and core. One of the guys had a can of stickem' which he was nice enough to share with me. I did 10 full, unassisted pull-ups from the bar mounted on the wall. The guys told me they were "perfect form" which meant a lot to me. Wait until that Tough Mudder next year. I'm gonna be ready!

My grandboys have their daycare Christmas program today. I've been feeling sad and missing my sister a lot these last few days, but I think this is just what the doctor ordered

Have a great day everyone!

MM#209 / JapanJoyful#803

yes, jeanne, somehow Christmas is the toughest, isn't it?

Make it about the happy memories as much as possible, though

you must have millions. .

You guys make coffee more complicated that shoes.

though I grew up with it all around me, I've had an aversion to coffee ever since 1964 when the bush pilot took off from erika's airport and had to land on a frozen lake along the Yukon River about an hour later to do some business becaue he had been non-stop drinking too much coffee to get ready.  Unfortunately, it took two days of sleeping in the Beaver before some problems could be resolved to take off again.

However, check with MikeMP as the ubiquitous vending machines in Japan have at least 10-16 varieties of hot-and-cold canned, sometimes little glass bottles of straight,, latte, espresso, etc..  The hot ones are great handwarmers for about a kilometer or so.

Color me tapering for Sunday's finale marathon of the year.

"Enjoy yourself. Your younger days never come again." 100yo T. Igarashi to me in geta at top of Mt. Fuji (8/2/87)

King of PhotoShop

First I would like to comment on Tet's posting of the tagline on Mariposai's page, re "Champions are everywhere..." and that all you need to do is train them properly.

Try to imagine three guys living in a small town in New Zealand and simultaneously coached by Lydiard:  Peter Snell, Murray Halberg and Barry Magee.  All three medaled in the 1956 Olympics.  The running world was astounded!  How could 3 unknown people come out of nowhere and stun the other Olympians. If that had happened in your small town, wouldn't you be wondering:  Who could have coached them?  And that is the basis for Mariposai's excellent quote.

Second, the other day jlynne asked me how I was doing regarding the fatigue and I failed to mention that since she had recommended I consider taking a multiple vitamin, I ran right out and got some and it has made a huge difference.  Thank you jlynne!  The reason for recent fatigue has nothing to do with the other issue.  I ran a Half on Sunday and have been tired.

But today I did a brisk 4-miler with the Saint and all is well.

Oh, and while I am reading these coffee comments, who has a great coffee bean grinder (electric) that you would recommend?  Ours is on the fritz.  Spareribs

Marathon Maniac #957

yes, jeanne, somehow Christmas is the toughest, isn't it?

Make it about the happy memories as much as possible, though

you must have millions. .

Well said...

Tet - you have had some adventures!

5 easy-paced miles for me on the TM watching Red.

Life is a headlong rush into the unknown. We can hunker down and hope nothing hits us or we can stand tall, lean into the wind and say, "Bring it on, darlin', and don't be stingy with the jalapenos."

I've never been able to do a pull up.  Kudos to you, Jeanne!  I'd love to have a pull-up bar, but I don't have trim around the door into my little workout shed, and The Hub would probably go into cardiac arrest if I tried to attach one in the house.  I'm sure he'd be afraid I'd eventually rip the trim off.  However, we have a Bowflex that is never used.  I'd like to get rid of it and maybe get a stand alone pull up bar . . . . someday.

I need to buy a small present for each of the two ladies I work with.  Other than that - none.

I chose to sleep in this morning instead of run, thinking I could run after work at the McKay.  I may regret that decision, as the rain is supposed to be here again this afternoon.  Oh well.  So long as it's not pouring, I don't mind running in it.  The McKayshould be nice and muddy with lots of puddles.  Fun!

I have been doing some transcription for a case with the public defender's office.  I have been dragging my heels on completing an interview with a main witness because she is SO frigging hard to understand because she talks too fast, talks in incomplete sentences, etc.  I finally finished it over the weekend.  2 1/2 hrs of dialogue ended up being over 136 pgs of double-spaced transcript.  Anyway, I transcribed a short interview with her mom last night.  At one point the mom says, "Well, I'm sure you've talked to [Jane Doe].  She's been a speed talker since she was young.  I can't understand hardly anything she says."  Me:  VINDICATED!  Whew . . . 

Leslie
                  Living and Running Behind the Redwood Curtain
                  -------------

Trail Runner Nation

Sally McCrae-Choose Strong

Bare Performance

Slo

Hi Leslie,

I almost forgot to respond to your Garmin 310xt qx.

I have one and bought it for the same reason you are interested in it. The battery life. I couldn't in good faith recommend it though.

It uses a wireless "ANT" device to download to your computer. I have not been successful in being able to download here to RA so I am still manually entering my data. This may be due to me installing the "Garmin Express" software which uploads to Garmin Connect.

Garmin Connect sucks...it is no RA log, that's for sure.

I've had other difficulties with it as well where I have had to reboot the unit. When this happens I have to go back and set the unit up all over again. There have been some discussions in the general forums area about this model.

Of course, your results may vary. I know people who are completely satisfied and are uploading here to RA.

fatozzig nice get on the Garmin.  Can add some wood to the door in your shed and then attach a pull up bar to that?

wildchild I hate you!  I just want you to know that.  Warm and breezy in Baja . . . grumble, grumble, grumble

Mariposai tough day you had there yesterday!  

Holly S. my DW ends up running at the day's end due to her work too.  I used to do that when I ran 3 miles a few times a week.  I cannot imagine doing it now.

stumpy77 I have started the daily without running a step!  Plus you get points for actually get a run in, done and up on RA before coastwalker!  Now that is a pretty impressive!

coastwalker No running in the rain.©  Wise choice.

Slo_Hand Going to a bricks and mortar store to shop!!!  Run away!  Run away!

Jlynne why I buy nearly everything other than food on line these days!  Heck, I would get food on line too but the local chain has this thing called Pea Pod and it stocks pretty much nothing other than canned, boxed and frozen foods.

tetsujin209 usually people end up with an aversion to something because of a childhood scare.  Yours is the first I have heard of being induced by a bush pilot!  

Spareribs happy to hear something as simple as taking a vitamin tablet worked.

No running for me today, just the elliptical.  My plan was to work from home today.  But, the data set I am processing blows through the memory on my home office PC.  So, no choice, into my work office I had to go and here I sit waiting for the data set to process.  

Live like you are dying not like you are afraid to die.

Drunken Irish Soda Bread and Irish Brown Bread this way -->  http://allrecipes.com/cook/4379041/

I almost forgot to respond to your Garmin 310xt qx.

I have one and bought it for the same reason you are interested in it. The battery life. I couldn't in good faith recommend it though.

It uses a wireless "ANT" device to download to your computer. I have not been successful in being able to download here to RA so I am still manually entering my data. This may be due to me installing the "Garmin Express" software which uploads to Garmin Connect.

Garmin Connect sucks...it is no RA log, that's for sure.

I've had other difficulties with it as well where I have had to reboot the unit. When this happens I have to go back and set the unit up all over again. There have been some discussions in the general forums area about this model.

I have to agree Slo - I love the watch itself especially for the multisport use and I like that Garmin really stands by it's products, but I can't get the thing to upload my runs to Garmin Connect at all!!  So frustrating!!

On the coffee topic -- I gave up coffee about a year and a half ago and don't miss it at all!!  Never thought it would be possible, but when I realized I was drinking 3-4 cups/day I knew I needed to make a change!!  I still enjoy tea, but mostly herbal decaf with just the occasional cup of caffeinated and I feel so much better!!  Believe me, I was one of those people who didn't think I could function in the morning without my coffee, but I proved myself wrong!!

TwoCat - will Rosie Ruiz ride again for 2015?

7.2 drizzly prayer filled miles for me this morning before church and prayer group.  My son Nicholas - the triathlete - has a surgery consult tomorrow --- we could use some prayers and good thoughts.   He has some type of pelvic lesions, inflamed lymph nodes and free fluid in the pelvic cavity --- could be something as simple as a inflammatory/infectious process but could also be the "c" word.  Tomorrow will be a consult and scheduling for a biopsy.

denise

tomw, congrats to your uncle.  Twocat, nice long run.

This morning, it was in the high 20s and there was a light wind.  I got in 3 miles at a 10:51 pace.

A good day and good runs for all.

TomS

C-R

Saying a few prayers for you and your son Deez.

Ribs - if that happened today most people would think doping. Sad to say. I'm a huge Lydiard fan. If I had any discipline in my running I would follow that plan to some good times.

Fourth day of doubles for me. Hill workout at lunch. I have a circuit I run and managed to pass the postman four times. The last time his look was epic. It was a "what is this dude doing and can't he figure his way out of the neighborhood." Made me smile.

Currently listening to Pandora Christmas music on the PC. I've heard five or six versions of Ave Maria so far and I have to say the Pavoratti one is the best of all time. That dude can sing.

Quick question for the group. I went into the dentist the other day and they now take BP prior to exams. Mine was 141x101. When I gave blood a few weeks past it was 132x94. With all of my running and reasonable eating habits this seems odd. Pulse is always in the low 50s. Anyone else deal with this issue? I plan to see my GP in January but will do some diet testing in the mean time.

Cheers.

"He conquers who endures" - Persius
                            "Every workout should have a purpose. Every purpose should link back to achieving a training objective." - Spaniel

http://ncstake.blogspot.com/

Dave59

I enjoy the taste and experience of coffee as much as the caffeine so I really wouldn't want to give it up.  Plus 3-4 cups a day now is thought to have health benefits of some sort (but I forgot what they are.)

Speaking of coffee, this morning was the 5am Starbucks run.  12 people showed up.  We run for an hour and then meet back up at Starbucks where I had a medium dark roast.  I ran with a group of 6 guys who ran mostly on the single track trails in the park.  I didn't fall when running but I did fall over once when we stopped to decide which direction to go.  I stepped on the edge of a downed limb.  FYI: It is easier on the body to fall when just standing than when running.

If you're looking at coffee pots and grinders, our Capresso has been good.  The grinder is a burr grinder which is supposed to be better than a blade grinder.  The coffee pot heats up the water pretty hot and the thermal carafe keeps it hot.  We don't use it much anymore since we have the Kuerig.

(Only 4.56 miles today.)

C-R - That blood pressure sounds high, but I am only a computer programmer so it means nothing.  Hope the doctor can shed some light.

deez4boyz my best wishes to your DS on the biopsy.  As to Rosie, funny you should post about it today.  Mariposai and I were discussing when to post that yes, Rosie will ride again in 2015!  I just heard from the former team captain and she does not want it back this coming year which means I need to round up a team.  We were going to make the official announcement (i.e. put up a topic for it! ) after the new year.  Come to think of it, that is still what will happen!  But do not let the delay discourage you from recruiting!

Live like you are dying not like you are afraid to die.

Drunken Irish Soda Bread and Irish Brown Bread this way -->  http://allrecipes.com/cook/4379041/