Masters Running

Vermont 50 Race Report (Read 35 times)

stumpy77

Trails are hard!

Great running and reports from all the VT 50 folks.  I will say that the meetup sounds a WHOLE lot more fun than the race.  Mike and Skip are definitely on my list for RA folks I hope to meet--oh heck, I want to meet everyone that hangs around here

Need a fast half for late fall.  Then I need to actually train for it.

Alexander R

enjoyed reading the reports, really awesome stuff

wildchild

Carolyn

Nice to read everyone's perspectives on the race!  I didn't think it was as hard as the rest of you did - I guess training on steep mountain trails at high altitude has it's advantages! You guys should think about coming out to CO to stay with me and train before goal races! 

My main goal was just to be under the 12 hour cutoff, but my stretch goal was to average a 12mm pace, which would be 10 hours total.  I was on target for the first 15 miles in 3 hours, but the steep climb up Garvin Hill at mile 18 set me back.   I hit the halfway point at 5:16, and I was fine with that.  I told Skip the earliest he should expect me at mile 40 was in 8 hours, and I got there in about 8:38, so I wasn't too far off.  He said Karin had just come through 20 or 30 minutes ahead of me.  I loved the single track parts, except for tripping on the tree roots.

It's funny thinking back about training for my first marathon, which was uphill for the last 5 miles.  I remember thinking pigs would fly before I would be running uphill at mile 25.   Well, at VT I was running uphill at mile 45!  Not up the steep hills - I walked all of those - but I could still run on the gentle uphills.  I really, really wish I had started running ultras when I was younger!

Sending a huge thank you to my awesome pacer, Skip, for running with me!  Here's one of Holly's pictures of us after we finished!

I hammered down the trail, passing rocks and trees like they were standing still.

Mike E

MM #5615

You have come a long way since that first marathon, wild.  You are an extremely strong runner.

Tramps

It was wonderful to read your reports and see the pics.  You folks are tough and that's an amazing accomplishment.  Awesome stuff.

Be safe. Be kind.

Wonderful reports and pics by everyone!

Each of you is such a strong runner and wonderful person.  I am always in awe of your accomplishments.

Karin - Congratulations on turning 50 and embracing it with style.

Mike - For a guy who pretty much only runs marathons or less, you ran a great race on a tough course, and survived to tell the tale.  Congratulations!

Holly - Great job on a tough course, and how wonderful of you to help the other runner get to the finish.

Carolyn - What an incredible PR!  I have been and remain in awe of your strength as a runner.  It's hard to believe you haven't been doing this all your life.

Love Henry's poem ~ how fitting.

Thanks for sharing, everyone ~

Leslie
              Living and Running Behind the Redwood Curtain
              -------------

Trail Runner Nation

Sally McCrae-Choose Strong

Bare Performance

evanflein

It was wonderful to read your reports and see the pics.  You folks are tough and that's an amazing accomplishment.  Awesome stuff.

+1!!!

Really, hard to think of what else to say, except I also echo what Leslie and everyone else has said. Love the pictures, they sure bring the story to life.