Masters Running

Winning Wednesday (Read 42 times)

'' If a southern drawl annoys you, don't bother tuning in.

Happy, safe running!''

...Tennessee here Fletch//...........Drawl Away......

..nothing takes the place of persistence.....

severe skimming mode.....

But congratulations to Starr and to Ilene.

What makes me a winner?  I think just being able to outrun most 30 year old men to the bus stop makes me a winner.

4.3 miles, sluggish - I guess I am still recovering from that 3 hour trail run.  But a guy on a bike went by this morning, turned his head when he was past me, and gave me a thumbs up!  Which I reciprocated.  I love it when stuff like that happens.

"During a marathon, I run about two-thirds of the time. That's plenty." - Margaret Davis, 85 Ed Whitlock regarding his 2:54:48 marathon at age 73, "That was a good day. It was never a struggle."

Happy Birthday, Starr!  Shorty celebrated his 3rd birthday on April 21. Sometimes I still have to remind myself that his sobriety is real.

And in other good news, on June 21, he will be off probation and we'll be done with all that stuff. Yea!  Maybe a in a couple of years we'll petition the court to have his sentence reduced, but for now, we'll just be happy that he can leave the county - heck, even the state! - without permission.  My goal when that happens?  Drive up to Brookings, OR, to the DQ and get him the largest peanut buster parfee he can handle.

I've always thought SteveP should write a children's book on the adventures of Tag, his Superhero Dad, and Superhero Nephew .  I think it'd be wonderful ~~

Ilene - Congratulations!!! Nice bling, too ~

I love southern drawls.  Mm Hm!

Ribs - Your recovery is going incredibly well.  Good for you ~

What makes me a winner? The incredibly normal life I now have with The Hub.  Normalcy is a wonderful thing.

6 EZ miles this a.m.  I think I need to replace the battery in  my HR monitor.  It kept telling me my HR was like 99-112%.   Um, I don't think so.

Leslie
        Living and Running Behind the Redwood Curtain
        -------------

Trail Runner Nation

Sally McCrae-Choose Strong

Bare Performance

Marathon Maniac #957

Starr - nice job!

PBJ - nice biceps!

Ilene - congrats!

Okay, sorry, but I'm out of time now.  Heading off in a few minutes to DD's softball game.

5.2 miles of hills for me this morning, plus core work.

Life is a headlong rush into the unknown. We can hunker down and hope nothing hits us or we can stand tall, lean into the wind and say, "Bring it on, darlin', and don't be stingy with the jalapenos."

evanflein

From Fatozzig:

What makes me a winner? The incredibly normal life I now have with The Hub.  Normalcy is a wonderful thing.

And from Enkephalin:

What makes me a winner?  I think just being able to outrun most 30 year old men to the bus stop makes me a winner.

Ok, those two are going down in my book as the quotes of the day. As well as a big ^5 to Starr (and Shorty!) for their anniversaries. Or do you call them birthdays? Whatever, you know what I mean, and I'm very happy for you.

Nice job, Ileney! Very well done. What did you do for that nice bit o' bling?

You too, PBJ! How hot was it?

Holly, that stinks. Another vote for another bid. I know here in town the residents are responsible for keeping their sidewalks cleared, which doesn't make much sense to me. Everyone has different abilities and time available. And if you're out of town during a big snow dump, then what? Ends up with a patchwork of some cleared, some not, some done well, some not... What a mess. Should be a public works issue. Same with the repairs. No sidewalks where I live, we don't even have a paved road (by the house). The state does the main road and the bike path. Which might explain the poor condition of so much of both....

It's amazing how fast your day slips away when you have a long meeting starting mid-morning. I feel I'm always playing catch up.

Overcast, windy and rainy today. I know I won't melt, but I don't enjoy running in this stuff. Will try to force myself out there later for a few miles.

lamerunner

Good evening. Congratulations to Starr and Shorty, excellent accomplishments!   And great to see Karin pop in.  I will have to check out that rail trail in Wolfeboro.

Not sure I felt like much of a winner today, really tired, hot and bothered,things at work stink, .. but I did plod through about 8 miles this morning and swim about 3/4 mile after work.  I am still ambulatory despite RA and an old lady left knee, and at least for now, both kids seem to be doing pretty well.  So I guess those things are wins...

We had a great Father's Day hike/ brunch on Sunday; Weather up north did not offer  the bluebird conditions we had here, but DH, DS and I  hiked up to Gray Knob to see DD ( she is caretaker for summer at a backcountry cabin run by Randolph Mtn Club, about 4 miles up from the road on pretty steep trails).  I carried up a full  dozen fresh eggs and some veggies, and we had a wonderful feast,then we hiked up to Adams 4, one of the Mt. Adams peaks, just below the main summit. It was getting late and still windy and foggy above treeline, but the light was very interesting, and every now and then it cleared completely, for a second.   Totally clear by the time we got all the way down, of course...

easy 5 miler and swim on Monday and just a light walk yesterday.

Hope I can get some sleep and get some energy back!

Happy Wednesday !

Mariposai

'like lamerunner I too ran 8 miles, but no swim for my butterfly wings.

I am excited about my meeting with an ultra trail runner tonight to plan a fun 50k in our woods i wanted to run a 50k before I turn 51 in my neck of the woods and since there are no races, I am going to do what I do best, organize one. This will be for the fun of it, free event. No support crew, no timing, but yest shirts and plaques for everyone who finishes ,

Holly, enjoy the softball game and don't forget to use sun block.

Shorty rocks and so does Leslie.

Tonight's run was a hot 8 zombies miles run. My RP showed up for a few miles as a surprise to hang out with me. It was fun!

ILENEFORWARD, a huge congrats!!

"Champions are everywhereall you need is to train them properly..." ~Arthur Lydiard

Mike E

MM #5615

Hello everybody!

Starr--congratulations on 2 years--yes, you are a winner.

Ilene--very cool award--congratulations!

Busy week for me.  I had to do my run, yesterday, after picking up a granddaughter from swimming lessons and didn't get to bed until 9:30!  Yeah--that stinks that 9:30 is so late...oh well.  Anyway--I did 8.8 miles, including 4 x1 miles under 6:30 with a 1/4 mile recovery between each.  Ended up with 8.8 miles in 1:03:35

Tonight, I did an easy 5 miles in 38:54, ate, then rushed over to see another granddaughter to wish her a happy birthday.

Tomorrow, I'm scheduled for 9 but I have to be at a church function from 6:30 till whenever.  I have no idea when I'll fit that one in.

Okay--it's 8:37, now--time for bed.  See ya!

evanflein

Our weather sucks. It's been drizzling or pouring all day. Currently, it's the latter. I had a long meeting at work, everyone seemed to have problems and I couldn't get away later for even a short wet run. So, I got home about 5:30, dug into a box of my favorite crackers and declared this a rest day. Oh well. This weather is causing havoc with our garage rebuild. We can't get the roof on (rubber material) when it's raining like this, and the rain is causing water problems even with the tarps we have up. Normally, this would be a perfect time of year for a project like this. Not this year, apparently.

TammyinGP

I agree, Erika, there are some great quotes here today!

low 80's when I got home, but took each dog out for a short run. 3 mi with Bella and 2.6 with Bailey. Still some water left in the creek that we stop at on our run, but not much, so i'm sure it'll be completely dry in a week or so. Usually we can go til the end up July before the creek bed dries up.

Tammy

Posie Lady - That kind of ultra run is affectionately called - eh hem, excuse the language - a fat ass.  Although I don't think FA's usually have T-shirts and plaques, but you could be starting a wonderful new trend.

Erika - That sucks about the garage.

I was looking at the side of my house the other day and the trim around the windows and wondering when we're going to have time to finish painting.  After all, we only started 2 years ago . . ..

Leslie
                        Living and Running Behind the Redwood Curtain
                        -------------

Trail Runner Nation

Sally McCrae-Choose Strong

Bare Performance

SteveP

Congratulations on your two years Starr. Sobering up is the most worthwhile thing I've ever done.

Stay in front of that train, Aamos.

You've been a champ in my book since the CoolRunning days, Ilene.

It's the little things that complete the big picture Ribs. I love your positive outlook.

Even though he and I have not communicated, Leslie, I'm proud of Shorty. Yikes on the painting. I'd encourage you to juggle time for it now. repairing and replacing damage is much more time consuming.

I agree with Erica about the sidewalks being a township issue. Of course the homeowners would pay for it via taxes, however, the quality and consistency of the sidewalks should be uniform. Which is important for safety.

on the tarpped roofs Erica.

I do go through long periods where it's difficult to string a sentence together. Let alone a paragraph. Right after I started Avenger Doggie's FB page. Work had taken off and time has become an issue. Thank you for the kind words. However, I'm simply your average married guy who wears tights and a cape and plays dress up with dogs. Just like any other guy.

SteveP

Avenger Doggie

protector of my dad

You can put lipstick on a puppy, it's still dumb.

Sniffing Butts, Tag

Marathon Maniac #957

I am excited about my meeting with an ultra trail runner tonight to plan a fun 50k in our woods i wanted to run a 50k before I turn 51 in my neck of the woods and since there are no races, I am going to do what I do best, organize one. This will be for the fun of it, free event. No support crew, no timing, but yest shirts and plaques for everyone who finishes ,

I sure wish I lived closer to you!

Erika - that was the best of 3 quotes we got.....

I had my 3-year review recently, and talked my boss into letting me work from home on Fridays.  (I only work a half-day on Fridays anyway, and it seems silly to drive 40 minutes each way to work when I can log in remotely).  This means I will likely move my LR to Friday mornings, so our family activities will be less disrupted, which is awesome.

Life is a headlong rush into the unknown. We can hunker down and hope nothing hits us or we can stand tall, lean into the wind and say, "Bring it on, darlin', and don't be stingy with the jalapenos."