Masters Running

3-7 Let it Snow Daily (Read 48 times)

Slo

You guys are busy bunch today.

I took the day off. Got a decent core workout in and a 5 mile run.

Long Story....I'll keep it as short as possible.

My running has been greatly cut back. Normally I run the same path 4 to 6X a week and see several of the same faces each day. One lady in particular, a 79 yr old who is out there almost every single day, regardless of the temps or weather.

Over the last few years we've gotten to know each other. Occasionally I'll stop and we'll chit chat for awhile. I hear bout her daughters, her husband, her 99 yr old mother who she visits everyday after her walk.

Since I've pulled up lame I haven't been running this path. Normally when I do it is at 5:00am...today I had the day off and didn't go out for a run until 9:00am. As I'm running down this old standby I'm thinking about Sharon and how she's doing. As I come around the bend I see the familiar arm swing and bundled up figure and thinking to myself...it can't be. As I approach her she calls out my name, I stop and she tells me how happy she is to see me. She said she stopped me because I always ask about her mother but before she could update me she had to share that her husband had passed away unexpectedly Tuesday night. It was during the snow storm, he went into renal failure. She lives in the country and the ambulance crew couldn't get up her drive. They had to walk up the lane. A neighbor brought over a jeep to transport her husband to the ambulance. He died that night in the hospital.

She goes on to explain the reason she is walking so late today is that she received a call at 4:30 this morning that her mother was found unresponsive. After handling things at the nursing home she just had to get out. Her sister was one her way from California. There was nothing more that needed or could be done until her sister got in.

I usually pray when I run...today I was struggling. My runs have been a struggle and my prayer life has faltered. I was thinking about Sharon and praying for her before I ever found out about her recent losses...coincidence maybe. I've never felt the need to pray for her before today. Yeah, I got hit with some goosebumps.

So there was a renewed pep in my step.

OrangeMat

MM #6177

What a story Slo! Yes, you never know how things are playing behind the scenes, and what influences are at play to cause these coincidences in our lives. The reminders come when we need them most, I think, as long as we stay open to noticing them.

Speaking of reading Lydiard, I was playing the Google detective earlier and found this document, a sort of Cliff Notes to all things Lydiard. I've heard mention of someone named Nobby here before, but had no idea who he was.

Dave, you're on FB too? What a coincidence, so am I.... Big grin

Went shopping at Costco with my mom, helping her carry cases of water and other heavy stuff that she needed to buy for upcoming trip to Atlantic City with her fundraising group. Good use of a rest day, and crosstraining in terms of weight lifting too.

Slo - you are one of the many I greatly admire here -- I'm so glad Sharon could confide in you!!

Jay and Marj - good job on getting out there early today .... I didnt (and still havent) and it's been a messy afternoon!!

Treated my son's girlfriend for a pedicure today - trying to get that baby out!!   Come out come out Baby Maria - Nonna wants to kiss and love you up!!  Smile

Running on the marathon course Sat. with a bunch from my running group - one of the women not training offered to be a "traveling water stop" - so cool because I am going to do 17 and not 20 like the rest of them because I think 20 is too big a jump for me.

Stay warm and safe my friends!!

denise

Slo - it is nice that you made that connection with Sharon, sounds mutually beneficial

Deez, are you excited to have a granddaughter coming after 4 boys?  Time to spoil!

3 easy miles with the dog.  I don't usually run with him unless he can go off leash on the trails, but I've been neglecting him a lot the past two months, so I ran with him round the neighbourhood on leash, letting him stop whenever he wanted.  Good to make me take breaks and slow down.  52F, and partial sun after several days of rain.  Smile

Big exciting night planned, dinner at Costco, shopping at Costco, hauling Costco into the house.  Just like OM.

"During a marathon, I run about two-thirds of the time. That's plenty." - Margaret Davis, 85 Ed Whitlock regarding his 2:54:48 marathon at age 73, "That was a good day. It was never a struggle."

MM#209 / JapanJoyful#803

Nice one dave.  keep it up.

OM - maybe the Y2K'er's finally got jobs as meteorologists..

:

hey enke - see you at the St. Pat's Dash.

maybe divechief too?

"Enjoy yourself. Your younger days never come again." 100yo T. Igarashi to me in geta at top of Mt. Fuji (8/2/87)

Jack K.

uʍop ǝpᴉsdn sǝʇᴉɹʍ ʇI

Five miles done at an 8:40 pace and my left Achilles was a bit tight. Pretty good run. Smile

I'm thinking you were actually what each other needed this morning, Slo.  How wonderful, indeed.

Good news, Dave59.  Here's to the Prilosec doing its job and you having no more issues.

5 miles this a.m. with Miles 2 and 3 being tempo miles.  My tempo is slower than some of you folks' regular pace, but I was happy with it.  9:02 for Mile 2 and 8:53 for Mile 3, which had a nice downhill grade for a portion of it.

I've been debating about signing up for a 50k in April and have decided not to in order to concentrate on my mileage and training for Memorial Day Weekend and Mt. Hood.  Not the mention not spending the money on fees, travel, hotel, food.

I became a great auntie again today! Welcome to the world, Jax. I became a great auntie first when beautiful Emma came into our lives through adoption. Now she has a little brother.

My only issue - Great Auntie? Seriously, folks. I'm only 47! Isn't a person suppose to be at least in their 60s' before they become a "great" anything? Unless, of course, the word "great" is being used because I am such an incredibly AWESOME person. Yeah . . . that's what it is. Clowning around

Leslie
                Living and Running Behind the Redwood Curtain
                -------------

Trail Runner Nation

Sally McCrae-Choose Strong

Bare Performance

Mike E

MM #5615

Hello everybody!  It's nice to see you posting, Jack.

Slo--thanks for sharing your story--it was very cool that Sharon had somebody like you to talk to.

I went 12.2 miles in 1:33:14.  I didn't realize it until I wrote the time down in my log that it was the same exact time as Tuesday when I ran this same course.  I think that's kind of weird...okay...not really weird...but kind of weird.

Since I've started my new job, I get home earlier and am warming up and stretching by 4:30.  During that time, I like to watch Jeopardy...I can never answer any of the questions...but I like to watch it.  BUT--I have that stupid song stuck in my head for my whole run and it's beginning to drive me nuts.

Okay--thanks for letting me get that off my chest.

Mike E

MM #5615

My only issue - Great Auntie? Seriously, folks. I'm only 47! Isn't a person suppose to be at least in their 60s' before they become a "great" anything? Unless, of course, the word "great" is being used because I am such an incredibly AWESOME person. Yeah . . . that's what it is. Clowning around

Congratulations!  I became a great grandfather a month ago...a step great grandfather, but a great grandfather, nonetheless.  And before that I was just a mediocre grandfather...

MM#209 / JapanJoyful#803

I bet you're both pretty grand in that regard too too just like you are great, grand runners.

ps mikeE - not saying that you have anything to worry about but when the wild one gets loose on a desending course in The-Light-at-the-end-of-the-Tunnel Marathon way down here at sea level, everyone better watch out.  Maybe we should make her run it like Comrades in South Africa as the up route this year.  Probably doesn't matter though.

"Enjoy yourself. Your younger days never come again." 100yo T. Igarashi to me in geta at top of Mt. Fuji (8/2/87)

Mariposai

Hi... I have 45 easy minutes on tap for later. I am in week three of the Ryan Hall HM program and many of the runs are "minutes" instead of "run 4 miles easy" or whatever. I usually do 5 miles in that time. My left achilles is acting up for some reason; it's the first time for that. It seems I can't get a month in without some tweak or pain somewhere... quite fruststrating. Also, my brother-in-law lives in Seattle so I was considering that Light at the End of the Tunnel race but it is already sold out! Maybe next year...  Have a good day.

Jack Klompus, welcome to the daily post. BTW, I too tend to run by the minutes rather by the miles, unless I am very serious about a time result in a race.  You take care of that left Achilles. It is better to rest up a bit than to have an injury that will side line you for a while.

I will see you next year at the Light of the Tunnel, I really enjoy that race, so I will be there.

Do you have a race in mind coming up?

OK, running for me was minimal today. 3 miles with my DH under a 57F and full SUN!

YEAH I know, you people who are having bad weather are not happy with my sunny run.

Go ahead and throw darts at me Smile Love it!

"Champions are everywhereall you need is to train them properly..." ~Arthur Lydiard

TammyinGP

5.3 tonight at a 9:05 pace. normally, this would be a faster pace for me but after my coworker made me do over 6 miles on Monday at an 8:30ish pace, I guess this felt okay.

Tammy

Mariposai

5.3 tonight at a 9:05 pace. normally, this would be a faster pace for me but after my coworker made me do over 6 miles on Monday at an 8:30ish pace, I guess this felt okay.

Banana skipping rope animated emoticon you rock tamster Banana skipping rope animated emoticon

"Champions are everywhereall you need is to train them properly..." ~Arthur Lydiard

Banana skipping rope animated emoticon you rock tamster Banana skipping rope animated emoticon

+1

I bet Mike is the Greatest Grandad of them all!

Leslie
                              Living and Running Behind the Redwood Curtain
                              -------------

Trail Runner Nation

Sally McCrae-Choose Strong

Bare Performance

Jack K.

uʍop ǝpᴉsdn sǝʇᴉɹʍ ʇI

Mariposai: I have a 5k an HM  both in April. The HM is in La Jolla so it will be nice!