Masters Running

RR -- Twin Cities 1 Mile (Read 160 times)

HermosaBoy

Short race -- short race report... Ok, I don't like short races and the mile absolutely SUCKS! This hurts way too much!!! Black eye Had no clue what to shoot for in this, so I just shut up and run. I knew that I would be chasing Brian, and I was OK with that. Just thought I might be a bit closer... So, we are off. I am wearing my garmin, but I have it set to only show me # of laps, lap time (twice) -- no cheating and looking at pace. As we come through what I think is the first 1/4 -- NOT VERY WELL MARKED, I look down and see 1:11. Uh oh -- this is going to be UGLY!!! That is way too fast! So, I just put my head down and run. To paraphrase Crash Davis -- Don't think, just run. So, I keep on going. Making the turn to the last LONG straightaway. I get majorly cutoff -- if I wasn't such a nice person, he would've gotten tripped -- but I let it go. 1/2 mile there's a clock and someone yelling 4:50 pace. Hmmm that would be a nice PR. Unfortunately, I lookg down at my garmin and see something closer to 4:59 pace and it is slightly uphill the rest of the way. Uh, this hurts! At around 3/4 of a mile I see Steph and Ann cheering me on. I can tell by the look on their faces that I look as bad as I feel!!! Left/right -- repeat! As we near what I think is the finish line, I am passed by another master's runner that I battle with every now and then -- do I respond? Nope, he beats me by 1 second. Final results? 1:11:56 1:18:69 1:19:02 1:18:67 5:07:94 -- 5:08 according to results. Brian does a great job to run a 4:54!!! So, it was painful, not a lot of fun, BUT it was my 2nd fastest mile every. What to do? SHUT UP AND RUN! Thanks for reading!

And you can quote me as saying I was mis-quoted. Groucho Marx

Rob

That does sound painful, hermosa, but you sure were moving. Congrats on your second best mile. TomS
      Mariposai

Second best mile coming from the FIRST best runner I know around here Wink... (please don't let SR read this bad grammar...he will fined me for sure). Keep courting that dream pace handsome boy...it will come to you...just wait and see...

"Champions are everywhereall you need is to train them properly..." ~Arthur Lydiard

The good news on a short race is the pain of running is also short. Good race and always nice when you record one of your fastest times. With this distance, every second is huge. Thanks for the report and CONGRATULATIONS!
          Vista
          SteveP

Mile races are tough. Why are they called "fun runs"? Then we run them! Shocked . Nice plan and RR

SteveP

When you Shut Up and Run, you fly pretty well I would say. Impressive running at a painful distance. There's an inaugural Northampton Mile here on June 22 and reading your report inspires me to try it (and also makes me anticipate the pain!). Great running. Karin
              busiman

Running out of mistakes!

Congrats on a great time despite the pain! I couldn't agree more about short distances. Nice report!
                -2009 running goals - sub-3 after Boston (probably VCM), 3 PRs, 2009 miles for the year, and no untreated injuries
                also on Twitter
                  Fast fast fast!!! Nice job and RR
                  Quit being so damn serious! When we change the way we look at things, the things we look at change. "Ya just gotta let it go." OM
                  btb1490

From the mile to the marathon, your perfomances are amazing!