Masters Running

Monday's Daily, 12.22.14 (Read 30 times)

coastwalker

Mornin' everyone!

Alas, I didn't sleep in yesterday, but had a day too full to have time to post: I was up at 4, and out the door about 10 minutes later. I kept changing my route on the fly and on a whim, and it got to the point when I had no idea how many miles I had gone (the Garmin beeps at every mile, but I rarely hear it with mitten cuffs covering it). I guessed about 7, but I was short by 2 1/4. My pacing throughout was remarkably consistent and it was a good workout. Then I got DW up, and we went to our favorite dive for breakfast and to say goodbye to a favorite waitress on her last day. Afterward, I dropped DW off at home and hurried up to an indoor track in Portsmouth for a racewalking clinic/training session. We had 2 'newbies,' so I spent most of my time working with them, and we brought them along well for their first time out. On the way back home, I filled up the gas tank, stopped at the grocery store for a few items, and at a bakery to pick up a cake that a friend had ordered. I got home, showered, got dressed, packed a suitcase and my workout bag, and packed the car with an unbelievable amount of stuff for 2 people going away for just shy of a week. Then we took off for Chester, NY (about a 4-hr. drive) to visit a favorite niece, her DH and their very cute new baby (born Sept. 27). We'll be here till tomorrow (Tuesday) AM, when we'll leave for Long Island (NY) for our bi-annual Christmas visit.

I did sleep in this morning, and really enjoyed (and needed) the extra rest. I know the days are getting longer, but that'll go on for the next 6 months or so, so I'll have plenty of time to take advantage of it, even if I didn't experience that extra minute of daylight this morning.

Have a greta Monday!

Jay

Without ice cream there would be darkness and chaos.

Dave59

Speaking of filling the gas tank, I saw prices were down to $2.08 this morning.  Hard to believe they could drop that much.  It must be a huge help to a lot of people this time of year to be saving money on gas.

While my gym is closed for remodeling during the change of ownership I am allowed to use a different gym, so I went over there to check it out.  I did about half of my usual workout because I was running late and there was some paperwork to do but I hit the machines where I am the weakest.

I was happy to find out that my membership, which has almost 18 months remaining on it, will be carried over to the new gym.  I'll only need 3-6 months of it before I move, but it is nice nevertheless.

http://assets.amuniversal.com/64cb8f3067a90132b61b005056a9545d

mta: I tacked on a 2 mile run. Work is boring, the sun is out, and I was still in workout clothes so I had no choice but to go run.  Need to save some energy for tomorrow's hill workout so 2 was enough.

C-R

Thanks for that image Dave.

That was a busy day Jay so you deserved that rest day.

Managed to get my first run in this morning although it was no fun. Seems last week I managed a big blister on the instep. Don't usually worry too much as these things sort of take care of themselves. Well three hours in soccer cleats at a coaches clinic didn't help. Now I have a "hot spot" the size of my computer mouse Wrapping it did manage to help. Guess this afternoons six miler should be fun.

On a happy note, we've been watching the Christmas specials we taped with the kids each evening. They range from those 60's clay mations to more recent movies. I really enjoy the family time and laughter these shows bring.

Cheers.

"He conquers who endures" - Persius
        "Every workout should have a purpose. Every purpose should link back to achieving a training objective." - Spaniel

http://ncstake.blogspot.com/

King of PhotoShop

Jay, Chester, NY is about a half hour from my hometown.

Thanks Dave.

C-R, my wife and I watched White Christmas for about the hundredth time the other night.  Rosemary Clooney plays the part of a complete airhead. Gets me every time.

4 slow miles with the Saint after yesterday's brisk 8.

Today in the Dallas Morning News I wrote about the importance of picking your knees up:  http://runningblog.dallasnews.com/2014/12/a-sure-fire-tip-to-improve-speed-and-race-times.html/

I'm off all this week, playing bridge this afternoon.  Spareribs

TammyinGP

Good Monday Morning!

Started my Christmas baking yesterday. made the sea salt caramels and the coconut clusters. Was going to make the peanut butter balls, but realized i was out of powdered sugar. oy!  Today will be my last trip to the stores before Christmas to get all ingredients I need and pick up a couple things I ordered that are in today.  I have it easy as far as food prep goes this year. My parents are hosting Christmas Day which is the main meal. I'm hosting Christmas Eve and we just do appetizers and drinks on that day. So, I have about 5 different appetizers I'm making. 

David ran a race over the weekend. It's our running club's last race of the year "Longest Night Mile". One mile on the track  that took place on Saturday night. He ran a 5:15 and was only 2 seconds off his PR. He was hoping for a PR but said he gave it all he had so was happy that he ran that time.  He and I will be rejoining our running club the 1st of the year and participating in more races. He's got big plans for me and has already informed me that in addition to the Resolution Run on the 1st, on the 2nd he is going to have me do an interval workout.  I might regret asking him to coach me. . .

Tammy

mrrun

Dave - Henry tried to describe the image while I was driving, viewing was far better!

Happy travels to Jay and all others on the road - gas prices are down.

And happy family time to everyone!

we did a few miles on the beach - fortunately the sun was out at that time as we're hitting some rain and have to follow two cat's @, but I thought of tet while running

marj

Sayhey! MM#130

psst.....<slinkingthrougdoor>......can  I come in?  promise I started moving ahead again....not 'zackly running, but it is "ahead."  finished a 10K Saturday in 1:15:36.  they still had the timing mat out, even.

https://agratefullifedotnet.wordpress.com/  (for a piece or two of my mind)

TammyinGP

great to see you Amy and see you are moving forward!

Tammy

Marathon Maniac #957

Jay - you are busy!\

Dave - 

Marj - love it!

Off to a nursing home to get some documents signed, so away I go...

No run for me this morning, just 30 minutes or so of weights and core.

Life is a headlong rush into the unknown. We can hunker down and hope nothing hits us or we can stand tall, lean into the wind and say, "Bring it on, darlin', and don't be stingy with the jalapenos."

Mike E

MM #5615

Hi Amy! I'm so glad you're back!

Welcome back Amy! Hope your progress continues and you're back at full speed soon.

Enjoy your time on Long Island Jay, though you could get up early and start the daily once or twice

Dave - that cartoon!!

Ribs - great article. As I get older it seems like I'm becoming more of a "shuffler".  I'll work on that. And I watched White Christmas too. I'll take one of those old classics over the new ones any time.

Barefoot and running in shorts on the beach? Awww Marj - I'm jealous!

C-R, did you ever try Liquid Bandaid on blisters? Depending on where the blister is, I think it works pretty well.

I ran outside both Saturday and Sunday, and it was unbelievably warm here at 5:00 AM, 37°  I told a guy who does a "Tough Mudder" class at the Y on Monday mornings that I would be there, and I've cancelled out on him a few times so I really felt like I had to show up. Well, guess what - he didn't! I ended up doing 5 miles on the elliptical and 30 minutes of weights. Tomorrow is another day...

Tammy - that candy sounds delicious. If you have any extra, I could tell you where to ship it

TammyinGP

Tammy - that candy sounds delicious. If you have any extra, I could tell you where to ship it

well, since my DH and son are at home all week, i'm just hoping there'll still be some left by Christmas!!  I have a feeling my instructions of "don't eat til Christmas Eve" will largely go ignored 

Tammy

Marathon Maniac #957

So, I have about 5 different appetizers I'm making. 

So what will you be making?  I'm always looking for new ideas...

Amy - Hiyah!

Life is a headlong rush into the unknown. We can hunker down and hope nothing hits us or we can stand tall, lean into the wind and say, "Bring it on, darlin', and don't be stingy with the jalapenos."

MM#209 / JapanJoyful#803

finished a 10K Saturday in 1:15:36.  they still had the timing mat out, even.

amy - could you try to hold that pace in your memory bank

in case you get back out here to the PNW sometime?

Barefoot and running in shorts on the beach? Awww Marj - I'm jealous!

me too.

didn't henry used to have one like that too.

lucky.

I can't seem to get Debbie Reynoilds off my brain today <<<(tammy/tammy)>>>

"Enjoy yourself. Your younger days never come again." 100yo T. Igarashi to me in geta at top of Mt. Fuji (8/2/87)

TammyinGP

Holly, the recipes are coming out of  a cookbook at home, so i'm just going off memory. one is sweet/tangy meatball, another is one called Antojitos mini's which I found on allrecipes.com, another is a warm bacon/cheese spread that you bake in a sourdough loaf, another is a sweet/spicy coated walnuts and now i can't remember my last one? plus, i'll put out raw veggies/dip so there is SOMETHING low in cals!  

and about 5 different kinds of Christmas sweets.

Hi Tet 

Tammy