Masters Running

"You're not going to get away from me. I've been running for 40 years." (Read 271 times)

"Some are the strong, silent type. You can't put your finger on exactly what it is they bring to the table until you run without them and then you realize that their steadiness fills a hole that leaks energy in their absence." - Kristin Armstrong

I LOVE IT Big grin Thanks for that info Breger...

Courage ! Do one brave thing today...then run like hell.

We should find her and invite her to RA. She might already be a member...who knows?!!
        Quit being so damn serious! When we change the way we look at things, the things we look at change. "Ya just gotta let it go." OM

Marathon Maniac #957

What a great story to start my week!

Life is a headlong rush into the unknown. We can hunker down and hope nothing hits us or we can stand tall, lean into the wind and say, "Bring it on, darlin', and don't be stingy with the jalapenos."

coastwalker

She was a "Black Belt Tennis Player"?? I thought they awarded trophies in tennis, not belts... Jay

Without ice cream there would be darkness and chaos.

rlemert

(This is from memory, which is becoming a dangerous source, but ...) Back in the late 60's or early 70's, one of the US Olympic Marathon team members was a police officer as his 'day' job (I believe it was in San Francisco, but I'm not sure). He came across someone doing something he shouldn't have been (a burglary, IIRC), and tried to make the arrest. The suspect took off running, jumping over fences and the whole bit, thinking "how hard can it be to outrun a donut-eating out-of-shape cop?" After five or ten minutes of this, the suspect looked back to confirm that the officer had long since been left in the dust, only to see him jogging along, hardly exerting any effort. The officer said "I can keep this up all day, can you?"
              Kennedy

Chased a guy on a dirt road along a river once after he'd done an armed robbery at a convenience store. He was blazing fast the first 200 meters, then gradually slowed down. We got about half a mile down the river, and he turned around, obviously gasping for breath. We were doing about 8:00 pace at that point, so I figured I'd let him go another couple hundred yards so he'd be good and tired just in case he wanted to fight at the end. Then the guy stops, bends down to pick up a small stick, and puts the stick to his throat like he's going to kill himself with it. I started laughing so hard I nearly pissed myself. Good times.
                  Kennedy, It was an "armed robbery" and you chased him????!!!! This could have had a very bad ending. (Nice story though the way actually turned out.) Bill

"Some are the strong, silent type. You can't put your finger on exactly what it is they bring to the table until you run without them and then you realize that their steadiness fills a hole that leaks energy in their absence." - Kristin Armstrong

Kennedy

My bad - trying to get in the stick story and not being clear enough on my other facts - it was either a strong arm robbery or unarmed robbery with the hand under the jacket to fake a weapon, I don't remember which. Time has eroded that part of it for me, it's been almost 20 years now, but the stick image will be in my head forever. Hadn't thought about it in a while and actually laughed out loud sitting here thinking about it again this morning.