Masters Running

07.25.15 Electric Saturday (Read 33 times)

New skirt in town

50 years ago today, Bob Dylan went Electric at the Newport Folk Festival.

13.2 miles this morning on my local bike path.  It was 15F cooler than last week--gorgeous!

My son is running his first 4-mile race today, the Casco Days Road Race.  He is running with some friends from his camp up in Maine, and it's the first race he's ever run without me.  He's 11 years old, and I'm sure he's completely capable of racing on his own. But all last week I kept sending him notes (no electronic communications or phone calls allowed at camp) with tips like: Don't forget to tie your shoes tight!  Don't forget to pee right before the start! and Don't go out too fast!. I'm sure he rolled his eyes every time.

The race is over, and I'm just looking forward to hearing how he did!

--Robin

NO  MO MELANOMA! Help me run 26.2 miles and raise $5000 for the Melanoma Foundation of NE.  Visit this page to learn more:  http://tinyurl.com/NO-MO-MELANOMA

Mike E

MM #5615

That is cool, Robin!  Let us know how he did...unless he tripped over an untied shoelace...

Marathon Maniac #957

Robin - I cannot believe your DS is already 11!

6.6 easy-paced miles for me today in 75 degrees, followed by Ribs' hamstring exercises.

DH is working today, getting some overtime in an effort to make up the transmission cost, bless his heart.  I will keep busy with various home-care chores, and try to drag DD out for the both of us to get haircuts.

Happy Saturday!

Life is a headlong rush into the unknown. We can hunker down and hope nothing hits us or we can stand tall, lean into the wind and say, "Bring it on, darlin', and don't be stingy with the jalapenos."

King of PhotoShop

Good luck to Robin's boy!

Jlynne, thinking of you.

Ran a 5K in Plano, or should I say ran/walked.  Very hot at the start and I had no energy.  The Saint however, finished 3rd AG, although not happy with her time. Neither was anyone else.  8 a.m. is way too late to start a race here.

Hudson doing well following the wisdom teeth extraction.  Takes way fewer pain meds than prescribed, and last night had some pasta for dinner.  Unlike me, he never complains about anything.

I need a nap!  Spareribs

Happy Anniversary a day late, Denise! You're a year behind us.

Robin, nice to hear about your DS! And how is his mom doing? By the way, what's a good sunscreen that I could use on my forehead without having it sting my eyes when I sweat? I still remember not thinking once and using Bullfrog (alcohol based!) and running almost blind when I started sweating.

Speaking of sweating, it wasn't nearly as hot as Ribs' Texas when I met with some club members for the weekly 8AM run -- mid-70s but humid -- and I ran 6.2 at a 10:30 pace, feeling good all the way. I did stop a couple times to chat with friends that I encountered who were going the other way, but it was a better run than on Thursday. Also a perchcreek sighting on the trail, but no chance to talk. I still haven't seen his doctor's note excusing him from being in Charlevoix...

And speaking of up north -- hey SteveP -- we found out that next week is the film festival in Traverse City, making it the most crowded week of the summer (also the reason for the high hotel price that we had reserved!). So we did some scrambling and will now be staying up in Petoskey in better conditions and a better room rate. We're taking our bikes, so not sure if I'll get any running in. It's sort of an anniversary getaway since today is our 34th.

Back later...

Doug, runnin' cycling in Rochester, MI

"Think blue, count two, and look for a red shoe"

Sayhey! MM#130

Hiya,

well I knew 5ks hurt so I forget why I signed up for a series of 3 in the summer...   Second of the series this am, 22:46, plus 4.25 total warm up (ha! As if thAt was necessary).

Met a nationally ranked runner (now a Master), Gary Romesser, who ran half marathons in 1:05 back when and now still comes in under 90 minutes.  The young, speedy Olympian was there and won the whole thing, but I was more impressed with Gary.  Very pleasant, humble guy.

Humidity is turning into rain.  Happy weekending, all.

https://agratefullifedotnet.wordpress.com/  (for a piece or two of my mind)

....Very Cool robin//...I know you're proud of him.......

============

...28-min poolrun, nb,deo,cf

...........PoolRunning is a Hard Sell...........aside from being a Great Combination Exercise,

it's about as Exciting as Watching Paint Dry

offered to get 3-of my Hiking Buddies in on a Guest Pass

1-no

2-don't call me, I'll call you

3-I just got out of the hospital with Congestive Heart Failure

ironically

#3 is almost 80-years old

and

wants me to get him in for the Elliptical vs the ARC machines (which he'll use to pieces)

but

having been a MediteranianSea Captain

he HATES water

meh

.............................good running guys

..nothing takes the place of persistence.....

New skirt in town

DS ran the 4-miler in 32:50 (8:13 pace)!  I'm so proud of him!

Roch here's a link to a Runner's World article from about 6 months ago, in which I discuss one of the habits of highly motivated runners.  I think it's down around Habit #10:

http://www.runnersworld.com/running-tips/12-habits-of-highly-motivated-runners

Anyhoo, my main advice is to use sunscreen from the eyes down, and use a cap and sunglasses to shield your forehead and eyes.  So many sunscreens sting!

--Robin

NO  MO MELANOMA! Help me run 26.2 miles and raise $5000 for the Melanoma Foundation of NE.  Visit this page to learn more:  http://tinyurl.com/NO-MO-MELANOMA

Roch here's a link to a Runner's World article from about 6 months ago, in which I discuss one of the habits of highly motivated runners.  I think it's down around Habit #10:

http://www.runnersworld.com/running-tips/12-habits-of-highly-motivated-runners

Anyhoo, my main advice is to use sunscreen from the eyes down, and use a cap and sunglasses to shield your forehead and eyes.  So many sunscreens sting!

--Robin

Thanks, Robin. I always wear a cap, but discovered today that it's a lot cooler in this H&H to run bareheaded. Today I used spray sunscreen on my bare pate and wore a headband with no sweat problems. Actually, my main reason for the cap is more to keep the bugs off when running in or near the woods. Those of you with hair on top might not notice flying insects landing on your head, but it's really bothersome to those of us who are challenged on top .

Doug, runnin' cycling in Rochester, MI

"Think blue, count two, and look for a red shoe"

deez, happy anniversary.  jlynne, thinking of you and your family.  Hermosa, good news about the job offer and another interview.  I hope you end up with a great job.  DrRobin, nice racing by your son - must be something in the genes.  ribs and saint, good racing.  Aamos, nice, speedy, 5K.

Nice long runs for Twocat, evan, and DrRobin.

Tis morning, it was in the mid to high 60s and there was a little wind.  I did 5 miles at an 11:37 pace.

A good day and good runs for all.

TomS

stumpy77

Trails are hard!

I see Amy is trying to intimidate me with her speed.  It's working really well.

Back in Maine for the weekend.  Now that DW has spent a week with her DD, she's ready to strangle someone.  Hopefully not me.  He's 92 yo (today), so you need to cut him a little slack, but he loves to argue and is ALWAYS right.  I have a slightly higher tolerance--I've only had to deal with him for 37 years

4.6 miles up and back on the hilly road.  Very exciting, as I kept my average pace under 10 for the whole time.  Practise running up hills really works.  And I'm also finding that pracitsing running DOWN the big hills helps, too.  I'm not thinking as much about a face plant at high speed and I'm running freer, without the feel of braking as much.

Jeanne--that is really tough.  Hard to deal with when you can't do much to help.

Need a fast half for late fall.  Then I need to actually train for it.

HermosaBoy

Nice race for your DS Robin!!!

Amy -- speedy as always!.

I had a very hot and humid 14 miler today with 8 miles @ GOAL Marathon pace minus 20.  Went fairly well, but there were a few pauses for water along the way.

Interview yesterday afternoon was not as good as previous ones.  One level up in management made it sound like a totally different position that I wasn't really excited about...

Now off to try a restaurant we have never been to before -- FEED ME!!!

And you can quote me as saying I was mis-quoted. Groucho Marx

Rob

Mike E

MM #5615

Hello everybody!

I, too, did 14 miles, today.  I had planned on doing them all at a 7:17 pace but, right before I went out, I checked my book and saw that I was only supposed to do 12 at that pace, today.  I thought, "What the heck, I planned on doing 14, so I'll do 14."  But, I did give myself the option to ease up after 12 if I was was struggling.  At mile 8 I was wishing I had given myself that option after 10.  I was fading fast.  I got to 12 in 1:26:43...then it took me 19:21 to get the last 2 miles in.  I'm tuckered out.

Okay--gotta go!  See ya. 

Mariposai

That restaurant looks l8ke fun. Was the food good?

Robin, that is a good racing time for your son. How is New York marathon training coming along?

After a relaxing morning I finally left for my trail run today. During the summer months I try to do 3x3 hours on the rrail as a base builder. Today, I was able to cover over a mile more than last week,  but I also managed to get lost for a little bit.  Nice sighting close when I was half way up the ridge.

Go racers go.

"Champions are everywhereall you need is to train them properly..." ~Arthur Lydiard

HermosaBoy

That restaurant looks l8ke fun. Was the food good?

Very...

From bottom left -- Corn Bread, Calimari, Shrimp Po' Boy and Crab Cake.

And you can quote me as saying I was mis-quoted. Groucho Marx

Rob