Masters Running

First Run of September: 4am minus ten hours (Read 328 times)

MM#209 / JapanJoyful#803

42.195 km/26.2 miles on this Saturday, September 1 not only for the best start for any month in quite a while, if not ever, but with a 14 hour advantage over Jay, I've still got him by ten hours when he wakes up. 
    It was the fifth anniversary edition of the bimonthly marathons around the 5K perimeter of the Imperial Palace since the Japan 100-Marathon Joyful Running Club took over the Global Running Association’s bimonthly 5, 10K and 50K races that I used to do once in a while during a sojourn in Tokyo the eighties. Founded in 1987, the Joyfuls are the oldest 100-marathon club in the world.
    With 76 degrees at the start climbing to 87 degrees nd 90% humidity by the fourth of eight laps around the palace (plus a 2.195km out-and-back), I hope I’m the last to do that and everyone has the kind of beautiful running weather holly’s gonna be getting in erika-land. In fact, I was getting light-hearded and could feel some dizziness coming on in the four lap when we got drenched by a big rain squall that blessed us us with a return on the last lap too.
    I might have been doing to much tapering since the Light-at-the-end-of-the-Tunnel Marathon in July and knew from the beginning I’d be looking at the seven hour range for these conditions. It worked out just fine in 7:29:15.  No wonder I love running so much.

"Enjoy yourself. Your younger days never come again." 100yo T. Igarashi to me in geta at top of Mt. Fuji (8/2/87)

coastwalker

Mornin' all.

Tet, you certain win the Early Bird Special this morning!! Congrats on that, and on finishing a marathon in warm, muggy weather. I'm glad the light-headedness didn't last - could be scary and dangerous. Love the name of the local running club there!

Sarge - No, I don't every run, even though I should. I related here last Spring that I ran 2 easy miles with friends as a cool-down after a race, and paid for it with sore quads for 2-3 days. So, yes, racewalking and running use different muscles, and it would be smart to work them all.

I don't know about a 19-min. racewallking 5K, but last year's Nat. Championship 5K Racewalk was won by one of our top-5 or so racewalkers in about 22 minutes. A European, Asian, or South American racewalker may well be able to walk a 19-min. 5K - they are that much better than our racewalkers. Racewalking is much more of a major sport in those regions so the athletes are better supported and trained, and the competition is more fierce at every level - more like track in this country. To put things in perspective, as an old fart who only started racewalking in my late 50's, my best 5K time is 31+. One of my 'students,' in his late 40's, has walked a 5K in 29+, and can probably chop off another minute or two.

We're at a niece's home (in rural NY) this morning, and are going today to help a BIL nearby who is building his next house. So that'll be my workout for today. Our niece also told us that there have been an unusually high number of bear sightings in the neighborhood this summer, so I was less enthused about going out at 4 o'dark under any circumstances.

Enjoy!  -  Jay

Without ice cream there would be darkness and chaos.

SteveP

When you describe your runs Tet, I just eat my heart out.

SteveP

King of PhotoShop

Changed my mind and didn't get up to race.  So I'll do the Labor Day 15K in Fort Worth instead.  Down here, wherever you live you are either a "Ft. Worth runner" or a "Dallas runner" depending on which city you're closest too.  I'm closer to Dallas so I tend to be a "Dallas runner."  But I need to do more of the Ft. Worth stuff and my friends have been bugging me to get out there, so that's the deal.

36 slots on that roulette wheel and "Pulp Fiction" were indeed the correct answers. Well done Holly.

I thought I knew all the cooking gimmicks but two of them I saw today on Yahoo just amazed me. Twocat, you will love this.  How to separate eggs using a water bottle and how to peel a head of garlic in ten seconds:  http://www.saveur.com/article/Video/video-How-to-Peel-a-Head-of-Garlic-in-Less-Than-10-Seconds.  Google "separate eggs water bottle" for the other.  What time-savers!

Okay, your question for today is in U.S. history:  Which conflict saw the first use of the military draft?  Spareribs

King of PhotoShop

One more thing. Not only are there no racewalkers doing 19 minute 5K's, we also now have no VP candidates running sub-3 hour marathons:

http://news.runnersworld.com/2012/08/31/paul-ryan-says-hes-run-sub-300-marathon/

Spareribs

I was going to guess the War of 1812 but then when I cheated and did some research, found out I know nothing at all about that war.

A typical Saturday morning run for me, 5 miles easy then 6 strides.  I try to stay focused on the moment but sometimes the past and possible future come crashing in, which isn't always a bad thing.  I didn't want to do the strides, blaming the H&H.  Then I remembered one of the first times I did strides under this new plan and how hard it was, making me queasy, etc.  So I thought, this isn't so bad today and did them just fine.

"I didn’t run a race until I was 41 and that was a marathon! Let that sink in for a minute." -me

...off to a GreatStart........

...they

LOST the key to the YMCA this morning..........a crowd was gathered when I got there, milled around and all left.

========

went home for Coffee,

when

I got back someone else had shown up with a key

30-min poolrun

spent

wondering if the LifeGuards can actually swim.

.................trailrun tomorrow.....

..nothing takes the place of persistence.....

Just 2.4 miles for me today.

I am going to try and cut some weight this month but not this weekend.Joking Michigan vs Alabama tonight and I see wings and beer in my future. GO BLUE!

The great thing about our sport is your time can always be verified easily. after all that work to get there I remember my marathon times to the second.

I,m guessing Korea

Larry

Chumbawamba: I get knocked down But I get up again You're never going to keep me down

Definitely yes on the marathon PR times.  I have 4:12:10 etched on my brain.  I also have an excellent photo with Econo at the finish line when I did it, Eugene '09.  I took a survey yesterday as part of a research study for the St. George Marathon.  It asked my expected finish time.  I put 4:11 and I don't know if I believe that but it's good to have a top-end goal and that's mine.  I have no illusions this time like in the last few years that I can go sub-4 or even 4:05.  That takes the pressure off and I can have a good experience.

"I didn’t run a race until I was 41 and that was a marathon! Let that sink in for a minute." -me

pfriese

Okay, your question for today is in U.S. history:  Which conflict saw the first use of the military draft?  Spareribs

Civil War would be my "guess".

Unplanned race this morning (travel plans changed), Brookhaven 5K in Norman. Warm & humid at the start, tried to work on form more than speed. Ended up 2/14 in AG with a 26:10. Felt great the whole race and even had a kick at the end.

Have a great weekend.

Paul

King of PhotoShop

Great guess Haillar (Larry), as it was my guess too!  Here is what happened.  We had less than a minute to turn in our answer.  (You write it on a slip of paper they give you with your team name on it) and were still arguing.  Finally I said let's go with Korean War as it was called "the Korean conflict" and that was critical in the wording of the question.  So Riblet takes off with our answer to turn it into the scorer and a few seconds after he leaves i remembered reading a book that had as part of the plot people buying and selling "draft picks" to get others to serve in their name back in the Civil War.  So I jumped up and looked to catch Riblet before he could turn our answer in and fix it, but I was too late and we got this one wrong.  The answer is Civil War.   Spareribs

2 little miles for me this fine morning, with DS Ben. I'm running 19 tomorrow in preparation for the Portland marathon on 10/7. Like Tetsujin, I barely run during the week -- I am finding that I need the rest much more as I train back up from my hamstring injury. And like Opie, I approach this marathon with no pressure or expectation at all to PR.

...ok, Ribbs//..........here's one for you-

=============

Sept 1st 1939,

the Germans invaded Poland to start WWII

What was Poland's ''Plan-B''??

then

click on the answer

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Romanian_Bridgehead

it was actually a pretty good plan.

..nothing takes the place of persistence.....

tetsujin209 there is no way to compete in the "daily starting race" with somebody in Japan!  Although doing all those laps!  Oy vey!

Spareribs well for once I knew the answer and here I arrive too late to show off!  Drat!  But before reading down I was musing as to whether it counts as a "draft" if you can buy your way out!  Great garlic peeling tip!

tomwhite Murphy's law strikes again.  Almost funny except I can in your post how frustrating you found it.

I got my race series t-shirt today!  <<Now how do I link to those dancing fruit?  Confused>>  You get a shirt by finishing in the top three in series points in the local summer wacky race distance races.  There are ten races altogether and you get 3 points for coming in first in your AG, 2 for second and 1 for third.  I finished the year with 7, good enough for a tie for second place in the 50-59 AG and my first (and not all that unlikely last) race series t-shirt!  Big grin  I could have even sat out today's race and gotten it as I came in fourth in my AG.  Two visiting speedsters showed up.  One came in third overall (WOW!!) and the other beat me by about a minute.  The last person that came in ahead of me finished second in the AG.  He typically clobbers everybody in the 50-59 range but today he actually go beat.  So other than the guy who had a lock on first place in series points none of the other contenders for a shirt got a single point today!

Since I raced today's race I will probably have to just cruise through the New Haven 20k on Monday.  Had I known who was showing up and their likely times I would have switched that, cruised today and raced Monday.  But such is life and I am really, really happy about getting the shirt!  Big grin

In cooking news:  If you want the chicken recipe I told everybody about I have put it on my Allrecipes folder.  Click on the link in my signature line and look for Chris' Chicken.

Live like you are dying not like you are afraid to die.

Drunken Irish Soda Bread and Irish Brown Bread this way -->  http://allrecipes.com/cook/4379041/

Marathon Maniac #957

Tet – nice running in muggy conditions.  I’m hoping I get great weather in Erika-land as well.

Ribs – I like the garlic peeling trick – very nifty.

Twocat – congrats on coming in 2nd in your race series!

Today I set out to do the 20-miler I didn’t quite manage last week.  Scattered storms and rain were forecast, so I decided I may as well sleep in, as I was likely to get wet either way.  So I slept in and dawdled around and didn’t actually get out the door until 8:00am – extremely late for me.  This turned out to be a mistake, since the forecast rains never showed up.   A very humid mid-70’s at the start, temps quickly rose into the 80’s as the sun got higher.  And the water fountain at a key point in my run is broken.

Suffice to say, I got a bit dehydrated.  At 12 miles I headed inland toward home, thinking the fan on the TM might be a nice way to finish the run.   At about 15.5 miles, my mouth was like a desert, my tongue felt swollen, and I sort of “hit the wall.”  I had to walk the last ½ mile home.  I staggered up the stairs, poured a half-glass of water, and then had to sit down suddenly due to a dizzy spell.  My son filled my glass again for me.  After 3 glasses of water and 1 glass of cran-blueberry juice, I changed my sodden clothes for dry and hopped on the TM.  Amazing how much better I felt in just a few minutes.  So 4 more miles on the TM, making a total of 20 miles for the day.  89 degrees when I finished.

Not exactly a stellar run, but time for taper.  I figure if I’m a bit under-trained for Equinox, at least I am un-injured.  Sometimes that's the best you can do.  Smile

Life is a headlong rush into the unknown. We can hunker down and hope nothing hits us or we can stand tall, lean into the wind and say, "Bring it on, darlin', and don't be stingy with the jalapenos."