Masters Running

I don't run with my shoulders or do I ? (Read 233 times)

HI EVERYONE! I have missed a lot around here and will never catch up. Congrats to all the racers that made it through their goal races and {{{{}}}}} to all the wounded that did not quite get there. I have been AWOL for about 6 weeks with some medical issues and am really glad to be back. I have not resolved all my problems but I am able to run again. I had to drop from my fall marathon and that really ticked me off. My problem is, both my rota tor cuffs are torn. Over the last year they have become increasingly worse and I thought that I would get them repaired this winter. Well ,I fell on a run back in August and caught myself with my arms but it really made the issue worse. It was very painful especially on those 20 mile training runs. You move your arms a lot more than you think when you run. I decided to back off and go through the medical procedures to fix this once and for all. There was no way at the time I could run my marathon anyway so I dropped it hoping to set up what I thought was an inevitable surgery. The insurance companies had other ideas. They have given me drugs for 2 weeks (no help) and I am in PT and new drugs (no help) I got shots in both shoulders ( Feels much better but for how long) I have decided that as long as the steroids are kicked in I might as well do a few weeks of running. I notice I only need 30 or so miles to get to 1000 for the year so that's my goal over the next few weeks. I have been told after 4 more weeks of PT if I still have pain they will OK me for an MRI. My fear is that by that time then surgery( on not 1 but 2 shoulders )and my recovery time I will be sidelined well into the spring so no spring marathon either. Maybe next fall. Or!!!!! My PT will actually work and no surgery and life will be great again. Running wise that is. Life other than that is great. Eating , reading gaining weight . Life without running sucks! 3 Miles don't care how long or how fast it was the best 3 mile run I have had in a long time. Matter of fact its the only one. Larry

Chumbawamba: I get knocked down But I get up again You're never going to keep me down

Mariposai

Thanks for the update Larry. I was wondering what you were up to. Sorry to hear about your shoulder problem. Insurance companies are a pain sometimes. Before you finish your PT sessions make sure you ask your PT to give you some running friendly shoulder exercises. Celebrating with you your victory lap of three miles today...sometimes we forget how precious the gift of running is, regardless of the distance of pace. Please don't be a stranger...we miss you here.

"Champions are everywhereall you need is to train them properly..." ~Arthur Lydiard

Larry, that so sucks! I am very happy to hear of that 3 mile run. Sounded like just what you needed. I really hope the PT works. At least you have a plan and are moving forward on it, even though this has put a big dent in marathon plans. Keep on posting those runs!

"During a marathon, I run about two-thirds of the time. That's plenty." - Margaret Davis, 85 Ed Whitlock regarding his 2:54:48 marathon at age 73, "That was a good day. It was never a struggle."

wildchild

Carolyn

Hey Larry, welcome back! You know you don't need to stop posting when you stop running, though... look at all the non-runners posting in the daily! I think they outnumber the runners today! I hope your PT fixes your shoulder issues and you don't need the surgery after all. But good luck to you either way! And congrats on the 3 miles today. A good reminder to all of us that we shouldn't let a carpy run bother us, as it's far better than no run at all.

I hammered down the trail, passing rocks and trees like they were standing still.

Marathon Maniac #957

Larry - how frustrating for you! But thanks for the update, and please keep posting, whether you are running or not, and let us know how you are doing. It would certainly be nice if this would resolve without surgury.

Life is a headlong rush into the unknown. We can hunker down and hope nothing hits us or we can stand tall, lean into the wind and say, "Bring it on, darlin', and don't be stingy with the jalapenos."

Mr. Chip & Mizz Rizzo

Well Larry - you know that I really missed you in Detroit this year .... and I really miss you in that 1500 mile club YOU talked me into joining!! Evil grin (I'm not going to make it - but I will come close) I sure hope the PT works for you. If they do surgery, would you have to have each shoulder done at seperate times? My FIL and boss have both had this procedure done and it was successful for both of them. Don't just drop off the face of the earth like that again ..... we missed you and wondered what happened. My first glimpse of what you were going through was when you responded to my marathon report. Like you already read - we have many Zero Miler's right now posting regularly (sometimes TOO regularly) Big grin If you have to wait until next fall for a marathon - you can go to Milwaukee with us!!

~Mary

"My sunshine doesn't come from the skies,
              It comes from the love in my dog's eyes."

~unknown

http:www.rawleypointkennel.com

Top 'O the World!

Hey Larry! Sorry to hear about your shoulders! Gawd I hate ins companies w/these types of injuries! Dead Although the duration argues w/me, may I pray for you that it is the type of soft tissue tear that will heal itself in time - despite their interference?!~ if 3 milers work for you just now, keep @ it! Wink but does your PT know you're doing it?
                Remember that doing anything well is going to take longer than you think!! ~ Masters Group
                  Hey Halllar!
                  Quit being so damn serious! When we change the way we look at things, the things we look at change. "Ya just gotta let it go." OM
                  evanflein

Larry we have really missed you around here! Thanks for the update... and from someone in the employee benefits arena interested in maximizing employee satisfaction while controlling costs, I'm interested in your story. I will bet that when all is said and done, you probably will have surgery to fix the problem. And in the end, your total cost to treat and fix your problem will be MORE than if they'd just approved the surgery and followup PT to begin with! That's my prediction, and it has been proven to be true so many times I'm surprised so many plans still follow the "start with aspirin" approach. Keep in touch and let us know how it goes.
                      I've missed hearing from you hallar and wondered what had happened. It sounds like it's been a tough spell. I hope it all works out well, and soon. Keep posting. TomS
                      DickyG

Hey Larry... Welcome back and thanks for the update. I certainly would never attempt to second-guess medically trained people...so I won't. I do know that rotator cuff problems suck...look at all the pro athletes who have been sidelined by similar injuries. I also know that the right steroids are very beneficial, especially in the areas of masking pain, as are cortizone shots. It looks like you have no choice but to go along with the insurance company's plan...let's just hope it's the right plan. At any rate, stay in touch...and good luck. DickyG