Masters Running

Wednes Day, 5.13.15 (Read 39 times)

mrrun

All those work issues can be resolved easily - the big R - however, it doesn't mean there's no more stress - just different.  having played in dirt all day yesterday, i paid the piper today, so only a short 4 miler around 1 today partially on the reservoir, but no glorious sunrise!

we do have some bacon in the freezer, but i keep forgetting about it - will have to dig it out and try the oven method.

happy runs and walks to all

marj

On the flip side, my very first boss said this and it has stuck for many a year, "Son, we give you three weeks of vacation per year but if we can afford to let you take two weeks in a row we really don't need you." 

Yeah, in my 45 years in the workplace, I was only able to take a multi-week vacation once, but at least the experience stayed with me. Maybe we should follow some European countries where a four-week vacation is mandatory!

Doug, runnin' cycling in Rochester, MI

"Think blue, count two, and look for a red shoe"

Jay, good job in your half with 3rd AG and a PR.  Also good job for Milktruck.  Twocat, nice 10K.  Murphy, great pictures of the kids.  deez, congrats on 3rd AG in your sprint tri.  Mike, thanks for letting us know about Hermosa's speedy marathon.  steve, I like the pictures of Tag and Noah.  wild, fantastic pictures.  mari, nice ultra.

Nice long runs for Holly, Aamos, evan, ribs, lame, and Twocat.  Good job on the speedwork for Aamos and Holly.

This morning, I did 5 slow miles on an indoor track while my wife was getting PT.

A good day and good runs for all.

TomS

You are all way too kind!! Thanks for pulling that picture over Holly -- I look at it and think "time to call Dr Robin!"

Jay - great morning photo ....the sky was beautiful as we were driving into Boston for work this morning as well

Stumpy - cute grand dog!

Tet - thank you!  The NE Season Opener was $70 I think which a lot of the sprint tri's are around here. I haven't signed up for any other races in the series as I am concentrating on training for Patriot 70.3. I am really hoping my heel starts improving more because I am also signed up for Challenge/Rev 3 70.3 at OOB in August.

The triathlon group I belong to has weekly "try the tri" events starting Wed June 10 - members pay $10, non-members $15 and can only participate once without becoming a member. We set up a super sprint event with members volunteering on the course and doing the timing. It's a lot of fun and a great way to get new people involved.

No workout to report today unless you count my 1 mile walk from Fenway to the hospital, but I did have a 2 baby day!!

Also realized Mari and I have sons who share the same birthday - my oldest is 29 today --- how on earth is that possible?!?!?!

Sleep well  my friends!

denise

Mike E

MM #5615

Hello everybody!

Just popping in so you guys don't forget me.

I wish I could have a dog, too...but Debbie really doesn't care for pets.  When she was younger, she had a cat that she really loved...and, I don't remember the whole story as to why he did it, but her uncle took it out one day and shot it.  She was so devastated by that, that she doesn't allow herself to get close to animals, anymore.  We had a Golden Retriever for 13 or 14 years and he wasn't allowed to have full range of the house.  He was confined to the yard and the entry way.  That's just not fair for any animal--especially a Golden who loves being a part of the family.  So...unless I get back into tropical fish...I won't be gettin' any more pets.  And, since the last guppy I had really didn't enjoy running with me very much, I probably won't get any fish anytime soon, either.

Let's see...my run...6 miles in 46:38.

My lower back has been bothering me all day yesterday and today...but it never hurt one bit during my run.  I have a chiropractor appointment next Tuesday.  I hope we can get to the bottom of these stupid pains I'm having.

Okay--that's it--gotta go--see ya!

evanflein

Holly! How did you do that with Denise's picture? I tried "copy image location" and pasting it using the picture icon/tool here and it didn't work. I'd love to know how you did that....

Amy, thanks, and I've considered it. People would think I was dying though. I haven't called in sick in probably over 15 years (seriously). Just a couple hours here and there for dentist appointments or checkups. I have over 1,400 hours of accrued sick leave and it will all be forfeited when I leave. Crazy, no? And I'm the benefits person. Heh. I should do something about that, right? Anyway, I'd probably feel so overcome with guilt if I did that, that I'd end up going in to work anyway.  I know, totally stoopid. And I haven't taken two weeks off since I had my second child, and he turns 21 in July. *sigh* We're just under a lot of stress at work because the state's budget is in the toilet because of the drop in oil prices (and we're very UN-diversified for revenue!), we're just wrapping up open enrollment and our wellness incentive program, which was fraught with problems on the vendor's side, just wrapped up last month. The stress level at work is sky high and the morale is below sea level. Good thing I run!

Marj... counting the days. Seriously.

We had a gorgeous day today, and got up to low 70's! I think that's the warmest since last fall. Ran 10.3 miles, part on roads, part on trails, part on bike path. Felt pretty wiped at the end, combination of long day at work and too fast pace for the run. Oh well, felt good to be out there. Up early tomorrow to go to Anchorage for presentation at the campus there. I booked a late flight home thinking I'd catch up with a couple folks, but I think I'll change that so I can just get home earlier. It's supposed to be even nicer tomorrow than today!

SteveP

Awesome picture this morning Jay. And Carolyn? Wow! I'd be worried about sliding off some of those trails and ending up at sea level. You are one tough cookie!

Yes, amusing at it sounds, there is a serious side to the Steve P comments in that it suggests a casual sitdown with the manager to clarify any misconceptions about the job responsibilities.  Nod and smile at the sales guys and say "thank you; I'll check that out with (name of manager)."

The responses have been: "It's already been addressed"; "I'm already working on it"; and "It ain't gonna happen". I have three heavy deadlines and everything I'm doing (except for bathroom breaks) is in an attempt to meet these deadlines. In the process, each of the sales persons will have their concerns addressed in a timely manner.

Because I've started, the company's inventory date had been pushed back to May 29th. The last time I did inventory to that property, out of around 7 million dollars, I was off less than $10.00.  This one is going to be different.

Oh, I want to take Miss Harper for a run!

SteveP

Marathon Maniac #957

Erika - I clicked on the picture in FB, then I right-clicked and hit "Copy", then I came here and right-clicked into my post and hit "Paste".

Life is a headlong rush into the unknown. We can hunker down and hope nothing hits us or we can stand tall, lean into the wind and say, "Bring it on, darlin', and don't be stingy with the jalapenos."

SteveP

Well, three things to never do in Michigan before Memorial Day: (a) Tug on Batman's cape (b) Spit in the wind. (c) Pull the mask off the ol' Lone Ranger. After flirting with record highs a couple days ago, this morning we were back in the low 40s and with a stiff breeze blowing I was once again in tights, long sleeves, and gloves. 4+ miles at a decent pace with only a couple of breaks and some minor pain from my hip area. I'm thinking that the recent changes in my medications might be affecting my running as well, but it's something I'll just have to get used to considering the alternatives.

Fixed that for you.

SteveP

Marathon Maniac #957

Life is a headlong rush into the unknown. We can hunker down and hope nothing hits us or we can stand tall, lean into the wind and say, "Bring it on, darlin', and don't be stingy with the jalapenos."