Masters Running

Thursday - 4/30 (Read 36 times)

King of PhotoShop

C-R, we have a sketch we do at dinner in my house whenever I cook asparagus.

One of us will say loudly, "We are looking for the slave known as Asparagus.  Which of you is Asparagus?"

Then we all take turns calling out, "I'm Asparagus!  No, I'm Asparagus..."

Well, it works for us.   Spareribs

Sayhey! MM#130

That would be KEVIN White.  Kevin "Combover" White (makes Trump look like a minor leaguer).

-->  you said to correct you, she said in her nit-picky defense.

PS: as per his tweets, Meb has gained 13 pounds (121-134) since Boston....and I read he was puking throughout the course last Monday due to his sports drink (you'd think these elite guys would have the fueling think down, wouldn't you?)

Henry, what a great recollection.  One of the classiest things the BAA ever did was to re-create the podium crowning for her weeks after the marathon, flying her to Boston to do so.  Rodgers was the male winner and I think Bryan White the Mayor?  Correct me if I have that wrong.  Spareribs

https://agratefullifedotnet.wordpress.com/  (for a piece or two of my mind)

C-R

C-R, we have a sketch we do at dinner in my house whenever I cook asparagus.

One of us will say loudly, "We are looking for the slave known as Asparagus.  Which of you is Asparagus?"

Then we all take turns calling out, "I'm Asparagus!  No, I'm Asparagus..."

Well, it works for us.   Spareribs

Hahaha. That made me laugh. I knew we were kindred spirits.

I heard that as well Amy. They didn't show or mention on the replay I watched that evening but I have to think it was something else causing the upset as these guys are too process oriented and professional to pull a rookie stunt and try something new on race day.

"He conquers who endures" - Persius
        "Every workout should have a purpose. Every purpose should link back to achieving a training objective." - Spaniel

http://ncstake.blogspot.com/

....and I read he was puking throughout the course last Monday due to his sports drink (you'd think these elite guys would have the fueling think down, wouldn't you?)

Well, that makes me feel slightly better since I STILL don't have my nutrition down when running and probably never will completely.

I've been AWOL 'cause I've been slammed at work and at home with work, so coming in here today is a nice reprieve.

Amy - Re "WIld" - I agree with you re the stupidity of not preparing appropriately, but then she wasn't exactly living a stellar life.  I doubt at that point she would've been able to prepare.

In that regard (backpacking), Clients (sisters) were in last week to sign some docs.  One said she and some friends were planning to spend 4 days backpacking a portion of the PCT next year.  Not to sound rude, but I'm looking at this lady and thinking, "Hmm," because while far from obese, she doesn't appear to be in any shape to go backpacking.  So she starts talking about how they're looking into buying this and buying that and I mention how the Arcata Community Forest would be good training ground since it's not flat at all.  Her: "Oh.  Yeah, that would probably be a good idea."  Me: "And you'll want to practice with a loaded pack to get used to weight." Her: "Yeah, you're right [or something like that]."  And then me: "And you need to remember that when you're at elevation, everything changes.  It makes things harder."  Her: "Even at 6,000 feet?"  . . . . . This woman has absolutely no idea what she's getting herself into.

Coffee - I can't stand Starbucks (which is what they use here at work - yuck), and I like mine with cream and sugar.  Although I'm learning to cut back on both.  I figure by the time I'm, oh, 70 or so, I'll be able to drink it black.

Banana chocolate chip cookies?  I'll have to get The Hub to experiment since he's the baker in the house.  Last night I came home from a meeting to fresh, warm cobbler sitting on the stove.  Why does he torture me so???

I'm still on the stationary bike, although I have run a whole 3.5 miles this week and will try some more mileage tomorrow.  It's getting there - slowly but surely.

Okay - Back to work.  OSHA probably would not approve of the stacks of files all over my floor.

Leslie
          Living and Running Behind the Redwood Curtain
          -------------

Trail Runner Nation

Sally McCrae-Choose Strong

Bare Performance

That would be KEVIN White.  Kevin "Combover" White (makes Trump look like a minor leaguer).

-->  you said to correct you, she said in her nit-picky defense.

PS: as per his tweets, Meb has gained 13 pounds (121-134) since Boston....and I read he was puking throughout the course last Monday due to his sports drink (you'd think these elite guys would have the fueling think down, wouldn't you?)

I wonder if it was really from his sports drink or did he have that awful stomach bug going around.  Two of my running group friends had to stop early on because they realized they were sick with it -- one ended up in the hospital with a temp of 95 - hypothermic and dehydration .... in her defense she said it came on really quick - nausea by mile 3, vomiting mile 7, medical tent mile 10

denise

mrrun

Henrun read most of this thread to me while I was driving (which unfortunately took a wrong turn of 7 miles, while I went to the wrong place).  About 6 years ago, we were cross-country skiing north of Quebec and I had a massage from Jaqueline Gareau - it was excellent.  She said she  cross country skiied all winter long, because the roads were too narrow to run on.  This was a couple of years before they honored her with being grand marshal.

Ran about 3 miles before we left.  And yes, there's lots of that stomach flu/nausea going around.

marj

It's good to hear from Jay.  Steve, I hope your new job works out well.

This morning, it was in the low to mid 40s with a light wind.  I did 5 miles at a 10:49 pace.

A good day and good runs for all.

TomS

No running today for me, but I did get in a decent 5.5 yesterday -- mostly running with just a couple walk breaks -- and went on a bike ride with my DW in the afternoon to help celebrate her birthday (I even bought the coffee at the turnaround point).

Today I'm all over town! This morning I drove out to the far east side of the area to visit the air museum at the Selfridge Air Base, and then in a couple hours we head in the other direction southwest to Ann Arbor to attend a show at a coffee-house type place. Whew! Wonder if I'll see any of the AA crew -- it's been a while.

I hope everyone else is getting things done this week.

Doug, runnin' cycling in Rochester, MI

"Think blue, count two, and look for a red shoe"

Dave59

No running today for me, but I did get in a decent 5.5 yesterday -- mostly running with just a couple walk breaks -- and went on a bike ride with my DW in the afternoon to help celebrate her birthday (I even bought the coffee at the turnaround point).

Today I'm all over town! This morning I drove out to the far east side of the area to visit the air museum at the Selfridge Air Base, and then in a couple hours we head in the other direction southwest to Ann Arbor to attend a show at a coffee-house type place. Whew! Wonder if I'll see any of the AA crew -- it's been a while.

I hope everyone else is getting things done this week.

Yesterday as in 5/6 or 4/29?