Masters Running

Sunday Daily, 1.6.13 (Read 274 times)

coastwalker

Mornin' everyone.

I don't know about you, but I'm still not used to writing "13" at the end of a date.

Yesterday's racewalking training session was terrific: I managed about 3.8 miles on the indoor track before the crew started arriving. We had a good turnout, and I spent the rest of the session coaching and talking about everything from shoes to race strategy. It was a fun time!

DW and I had a night out last night, had a great time, and got home well passed my bed time. So I slept in till 4:30 this morning, and then went out for 7.2 racewalking miles. 22F with light snow falling. The snow was sticking in patches, and I was all over the place on the roads, looking for clear pavement and better traction. I was reminded (again) this morning that the white lines painted down the sides of roads get slick when they get wet, so I had to avoid them too. There was almost no breeze this morning, so it made me laugh that the snow seemed to be coming toward my face, no matter which way I turned. I got a few fat flakes in my eyes, but they were only momentary distractions. I went along the ocean for a bit - being at the coast when it is snowing, even in the dark, is quite magical. I didn't go hard this morning (couldn't have it I wanted to because of the poor traction) - I just delighted in being out there.

Have a great day!

Jay

Without ice cream there would be darkness and chaos.

I was reminded (again) this morning that the white lines painted down the sides of roads get slick when they get wet, so I had to avoid them too.

And manhole covers. Those can get wicked icy as well. Your run this morning sounds absolutely beautiful Jay. How about taking your camera along some morning. Oh wait - it's always dark early when you go out. You should sleep in some weekend and take some photos for us.

5 miles this morning on very tired legs, though the temps were a lot warmer than yesterday. 26° at 6:00 AM but the trade-off was the wind. It's still nice to get out early on Sunday mornings so traffic is not such a big issue.

Survived the Packer game last night. I was dressed well and it was actually quite toasty. Of course, practically sitting on top of the other 70,000 people who were shoved into their seats wearing all their winter gear made things, well, tight. Lots of Minnesota fans there too (sorry Mike). And there are going to be a LOT of people who don't feel well today. As DH and I were walking into the stadium before the game, there were two guys helping their friend walk. I guess he had been drinking Gray Goose all afternoon Roll eyes

Enjoy your Sunday everyone!

C-R

Hey Jay and Jlynne.

Winter is a good reminder to watch for slick spots and balck ice.

Glad you enjoyed the session Jay and the game Jlynne. It was fun watching on the couch.

Someone asked what movie night we had. Friday was The Great Mouse Detective (one of my all time favs) and yesterday it was Paranorman (yeah I know). Cute movie and worth a redbox.

8 miles on some very tired legs today. I guess I'm not quite recovered from donating blood yesterday although I managed five last night. Oh well off to rehydrate with some juice.

Have a great Sunday all and GO Colts!

"He conquers who endures" - Persius
        "Every workout should have a purpose. Every purpose should link back to achieving a training objective." - Spaniel

http://ncstake.blogspot.com/

Mike E

MM #5615

Survived the Packer game last night. I was dressed well and it was actually quite toasty. Of course, practically sitting on top of the other 70,000 people who were shoved into their seats wearing all their winter gear made things, well, tight. Lots of Minnesota fans there too (sorry Mike). 

I'm glad you enjoyed the game.  Don't worry about me...it's pretty much what I was expecting...with or without Ponder.

Just to follow up on Holly's discussion of salary vs hourly...I'm salary and the other guys at work are hourly so when we get called in for an emergency call, they get paid for it and I don't.  Also--when we're on call (which is every 3 weeks) we're expected to be ready to go at a moment's notice.  I have to skip a race in a couple of weeks up in International Falls with Ryan and some other guys because I'm on call....and I don't get paid anything for being on call.  Doesn't seem fair, does it?  Okay--sorry--I just had to get that off my chest.

Okay--that's it--gotta go to church...I'll have to pray for forgiveness for my mean thoughts....

...mornin' guys//...........since I don't know SQUAT

about riding a bike in Winter, I'll keep those SlickTips in mind......

went to

see the JackReacher Movie yesterday,

having read all the Lee Child books,

it didn't totally follow the plot,

but

even using TomCruise (ugh) as the 6'4 270-lb BookCharacter, it was actually Pretty Good

========

but I digress......

SubFreezing  40min bikeride,

stayed

in DoubleLowGear except for 2-UberHills, and the Quads are starting to handle it.

only saw

one runner out,

and

he wasn't wearing a hat

which I think meant he was probably INSANE.

...........good running guys.............Watch Your Footing........and share Bike Tips...

..nothing takes the place of persistence.....

Dave59

The Hockey Lockout is Over!

(Let's see how happy I am in a couple months and my team doesn't make the playoffs. Roll eyes )

I was sore all over from yesterday's 13 miler (plus a bunch of trips up and down the stairs at home.)  Now that the bathroom is finally done, there was a lot of clean-up to be done, stuff to be put away, stuff to be trashed, stuff to be donated....

I "ran" a mile this morning to see if that would help me feel better.  It did loosen me up a little.  (Although shoveling the driveway and sidewalks after the run undid some of the benefit.  Overall I feel better than when I first struggled out of bed.)

I don't know about you, but I'm still not used to writing "13" at the end of a date.

Maybe this will help----2013 is the first year since 1987 where all the digits in the year are different. I do know what you mean though and merrily put 2012 on a client report I was writing last week and luckily noticed it before it went final.

19.2 miles at 8:30 pace this morning---sunny and clear now and some very light snow earlier. We are due for a mini-January thaw later in the week, but the snow still looks pretty here.

Indeed my hockey playing kiddo was quite excited to hear the NHL news this morning.  He and Mr. CNYrunner (former hockey player with beer league pick-up game action every now and then) have been making do with AHL games and the junior national/international games. And of course the high school hockey schedule keeps us hoping. The kiddo's practices begin at 9:30 pm (ZZZZZ!.....what, hunh? what happened? that's me) and his games are usually at 8 pm.  I am a spirited hockey mom when I can stay awake!

Nice run Karin...

13.1 mile training run today...still very slow, but every mile counts...

Looking for a place to Happen, making stops along the way - The Hip

MVS winter hosted runs started this morning and it was at a friend's house just 2 miles from me -- we had a great turnout with lots of people starting their Boston training.   11 miles in 1:46:18 .. felt great - lots of friends and good eats afterward makes it even more pleasant!!

Plan on having a easy day the rest of the day -- eating some homemade vegetable soup and relaxing in the hot tub!!

Happy January my friends!!

denise

(Let's see how happy I am in a couple months and my team doesn't make the playoffs. Roll eyes )

Dave, I would hope that your team is the same as mine, and the Red Wings always make the playoffs!

Hugh turnout for the club run this morning, especially as they were organizing a special "new members" run. The new members were about 3/4 female, which is in line with my general observations on the gender shift in the sport lately. So now we're a bunch of old guys (including Perch) and younger gals -- hmmm...

Anyway, I ran a 6-mile loop around the lake, running with a couple different groupings as my pace was faster or slower than some others.

Doug, runnin' cycling in Rochester, MI

"Think blue, count two, and look for a red shoe"

Marathon Maniac #957

went to

see the JackReacher Movie yesterday,

having read all the Lee Child books,

it didn't totally follow the plot,

but

even using TomCruise (ugh) as the 6'4 270-lb BookCharacter, it was actually Pretty Good

I really like the Lee Child books.  I just finished Killing Floor for the second time - I got it at the library and didn't realize I had already read it until I was partly into it, and decided to read it again anyway.  You are right, though, that Tom Cruise seem totally wrong for that character, who I had envisioned as looking a bit like Dark Horse who used to post at CR.

MikeE - that would make for some serious resentments before long.....

After after almost two months of slow running, it didn't surprise me that yesterday's tempo effort left my legs very tired today, and it made for a tough LR.  However, I figured all the Higden folks would be saying, "do that LR on tired legs, it's good for you."

12.5 miles, followed by lunges, weighted squats, and single-legged bridges (and planks).  Tomorrow is leg-rest day.

Life is a headlong rush into the unknown. We can hunker down and hope nothing hits us or we can stand tall, lean into the wind and say, "Bring it on, darlin', and don't be stingy with the jalapenos."

tetsujin209 that was quite a feast they laid out!  As to the lawsuit, just because you are friends with tomwhite does not mean you can poach on my award!

evanflein where you are the daylight gains and losses have to be big!  How many hours (minutes? Wink) do you get during the year's shortest day?

StarrRuns those went with the Bar Mitzvahs held at a temple followed by a cheap lunch along with a band for dancing to. Now . . . I think people must take out second mortgages.

fatozzig sounds like a really good improvised cioppino, a dish I really love!

Spareribs I feel your pain.  On Friday I let the podiatrist give my ankle a shot and that killed any chance I had to run today's 10k race.  It is the first of a four race series and I will probably miss the next one at 15k as well due to being out of town.  I just have to hope for now it will not also be due to a lack of distance on my part by then.

Other than me having to bail on the 10k race today the news at the Twocat house is that the Christmas undecorating is done!  Took all day yesterday but everything is now boxed up and returned to its storage spot.  Well practically everything since my DW wants to keeps some plush toy snowmen out.  In cooking news I am attempting for the first time ever to make a yeast based bread.  My other breads all are quick breads and use baking powder and soda to make them rise.  The one I am working on is a multigrain loaf.  At the moment the little yeasts are working to make it rise.

Live like you are dying not like you are afraid to die.

Drunken Irish Soda Bread and Irish Brown Bread this way -->  http://allrecipes.com/cook/4379041/

(((mighty little yeasties)))

Starr, I just read the book "Quiet", so I have introversion on the mind.  One quote near the end caught my eye -- something about crossing the street to avoid having to make idle chitchat with an acquaintance.  (I never knew other people did that!)  Not that I don't like people -- I do!

I LOVE the factoid that this is the first year with all different digits.  That makes this an extraordinary year!!  Oh, and the rest of the decade will be extraordinary, too!*

2 miles of brutal hillage, taking my weekly mileage to...15!  I'm working my way up (from 6 total miles in November, rolleyes), one more mile each week.

*(singing "this is the dawning of the age of aquarius, age of aquariuuuuuuuus, aquaaaariuuuuuuuus")

King of PhotoShop

TW, the best parts of your posts are often before you digress, so let me build on your rant.  Reacher is portrayed by Child as HUGE, so I'm right with you on the Tom Cruise thing.  How could they even consider him as the character?

Holly, "Killing Floor" is I believe one of Child's very early Reacher books, if not the first. It's not one of the best either.  For those of you who read an author's entire work, you may notice that early in a series the books aren not so great, and then the author sort of matures into the concept.  Jane Austen's early work, known as the juvenilia, as it is with most author's early work, was very bad. I read it anyway, as even bad Jane Austen wrote better than many others.

I'm reading an Anne Perry book now. Anyone else read her? For Christmas i got two new Anthony Trollope books and dying to get back to him.

But I digress.

16 miles at easy pace this morning, mid-30's, sunny and still. Perfect day.

Love how Jay "sleeps in" til 4:30.  I started at 7.  Spareribs

BerthaSlayer

MM#5991

10 slow miles for me this morning. Unfortunately I slogged through one too many slush puddles, got wet feet and blisters as a result. My feet aren't happy campers right now. It was the longest run I have completed since before Christmas and equals the longest since Detroit. Am slowly building my way back up to a respectable base.

Lori

*it's Bertha or me. My money is on me.*

**"There is no growth in the comfort zone and no comfort in the growth zone".---- Sandy**