Masters Running

Tuesday, March 29, '16 (Read 39 times)

wildchild

Carolyn

Holly,  I'm sorry to hear you're having troubles.  I agree that getting counseling might be good, but that probably adds some stress because you already have too much on your plate!

My DH suffers from stress and anxiety, but he won't get help.  He has admitted a few times that it might be helpful, but then there's the issue of finding a good therapist, and the time and money to go on a regular basis...   Anyway, he's happier when we're traveling, and we're currently on the road in our very cool Sprinter van.  We're currently at Indian Creek, a climbing area an hour south of Moab Utah.  Today we woke up to wet snow, so we're taking a day off and getting some internet time at the public library in Moab.   I can't run or climb because of the stress fracture, but I brought my mountain bike, and I'm hoping I can do some cross training to keep from going crazy.   And it's  nice to hang out in the mountains instead of hanging out at home, while I recover.

Happy trails, everyone.

I hammered down the trail, passing rocks and trees like they were standing still.

RCG

Rose Colored Glasses

Oh, how I wish we had a Sprinter Van!  I am happy that Wildchild has one because it is great to be able to get away as you do!

Aamos, that is a fantastic idea! I would much rather Holly take Ralph's place than for me to run legs 1 and 3 my self. We will pick you up at any DC airprort, Holly!

In reply to the cartoon... Free Will. Oh yeah!

As for mental health?  I don't know. I see things differently than most, I guess. I look at it like this: If I had insulin dependent diabetes?  I couldn't just "snap out of it". I would take insulin.  If I had a blood clot? I couldn't will my blood to anticoagulate, I would accept heparin. If I had cancer? I would try chemo if the odds were in my favor. And if I had insulin dependent diabetes? I would take the insulin and watch my diet and exercise appropriately. And if I had a blood clot? I would receive anticoagulant medication and do whatever therapy was appropriate. And if I had cancer? I would accept the treatment necessary to better my chances at either surviving or feeling better.

I guess that is why I was willing to try talk therapy and, when medication was indicated by the professionals, I tried it. And I am so glad I did. And I am so glad that chapter in my life is behind me. Maybe I come by my alias "Rose colored glasses" legitimately.

Happy Running! And running does make me happy. And that was another reason I knew that I needed help. Running and other things that usually made me happy had ceased to do so.

Be well.

"Anytime you see the word "inflation" in the news, replace it with "record-breaking corporate profits" and you'll get what's happening."

RCG, I'm sorry to hear the RS is having trouble shaking whatever's got him.  I hope that changes soon.  Holly, you sure deserve a day off and golfing with your daughter.  I don't know anyone who works  harder at their job, being a good wife and mother, and everything else you do.  Quite a few years ago, my wife had some trouble coping with all life was throwing at her.  She got some professional help, including medication that helped her a lot.  Take care of yourself.

This morning, I had my second eye operated on for cataracts and glaucoma.  Since the first operation, I've been able to do quite well with the other eye and my glasses.  The first eye, however, was not quite good enough to either drive or read without glasses which I probably will not get until the second eye is healed.   I did pick up some drug store "cheater" glasses and can read and use my computer. Until I get new glasses, I probably could drive a short distance or locally in an emergency.  I don't think I'll have any trouble going about my non driving activities, including walking and, in a few weeks, running when I get cleared to do so.  I'm feeling optimistic about he long term benefits of the surgery.  This afternoon, I strolled a mile and it felt ok.

A good day and good runs for all.

TomS

just getting back from a 4-hour hike,,,,,,,it went great

kinda

of freaked me out when I saw THE KENTUCKY STATE LINE tho'

and

my Compliments to whoever invented the Hot Bath..........my next stop

[[[[[hoping erika is ok]]]]]]]

..nothing takes the place of persistence.....

Sayhey! MM#130

Just checking in....and will add, since I mentioned Bruce in connection with the NCAAs, when he died I for sure got counseling as he was 53 and my only sibling not to mention surrogate dad.

Holly, the plane ticket could be worth it (Barb & RS & family are a happiness center).......,sleep on it, ok?

https://agratefullifedotnet.wordpress.com/  (for a piece or two of my mind)

evanflein

So what relay are you thinking Holly should do? The Reach the Beach relay is in the fall, so I'm sure it's not that. Holly, heed what others have said, but I might add that couples counseling might be in order. Not sure your DH would be willing, but if you can't talk to your life partner about what's going on, the next question should be "why not?" and go from there. That was a huge issue for us, and couples therapy got us through some awful blocks and issues. Now, I have serious problems at work with stress and budget problems, etc, but my first "go to" for talking through my day and my problems is DH and it makes a huge difference.

Tselbs, hope the second eye goes as well as the first and you're on the mend soon.

Thanks for the concern folks, but we're fine here. The Pavlov volcano is in the Aleutians, which is many hundreds of miles southwest of us. The ash has been moving northeast though, so all flights into and out of Fairbanks (and many other communities) have been canceled, mostly as a precaution. Not an issue for us (no ash here), but our chancellor candidate visits have been interrupted. The woman who was here yesterday and today can't leave, and the gentleman who was supposed to be here today can't leave Seattle. So we're kind of in limbo. But, this too shall pass. Glad I don't have a trip planned though.

Today was really pretty crummy for most of the day, with snow, rain, sleet and wind. But about mid-afternoon it cleared off and the sun came out, and more snow melted and lots of puddles formed. I left after 5:45 pm for a run, and had a really good progressive pace 5.5 mile run with the last half mile being at 7:42 pace. Nice! There's a 5k coming up the first Saturday in May, and that'll be my last "speed work" until Green Bay.

SteveP

18 miles of coastline on an 80th birthday sounds poetic.

Holly, I'd been struggling with depression for years until finally one Dr had listened. Because I'm a recovering alcoholic, health care professionals have told me to tough it out. Counting blessings is a great idea.

I've had the flu for the past two days. Meh. I've been setting boundaries at work and hope to get closer to 40ish hours a week.

SteveP