Masters Running

Half Way There Wednesday (Read 419 times)

Nice compromise, Dave. Smile

Steve - You are an angel.  Your niece's dad, not so much. Evil

Great PR, Baboon!

Jay - You hit on the head with how the headlamp makes things look - flat.  Hope you feel better soon.

Have fun with the colonoscopy, Ribs!

C-R - Good luck.

Go for it, Slo.

Hi, Mike and Jeff.

Breger - That gift for your DW still burning a hole in her Christmas stocking? Wink

Have a great trip, Posie!

TW - How's the insurance coverage these days?

Prayers for your friend, Roch.

Good luck with the dental work, Drake.

Rhoon - What?  No beautiful snow pics?  Slacker.

Whew!  Glad nobody has posted!!

The photo - Shorty woke up soon after that pic was taking and I told him not to move until I could get the light turned up so he could see Mr Mr.  Shorty: "Looks like some kind of weird sex thing going on."  Big grin

As I was getting dressed this a.m. around 4:30, it just started dumping.  I sat for about 10 minutes and it started to taper off but not stop, so I finally told myself to stop being a wimp and get out there.  As I walked out the door, the rain stopped entirely.  Sweet!  It was a cold run and I kept my light jacket on the whole time (which I very rarely do, even when it's raining).  Did 9 miles with some good hill work in the middle that kicked my butt.  Now I can feel myself coming down with a cold, so maybe it was the onset of the cold that kicked my butt. . . . . . Sounds good if you say it fast.  It was the hills.  They are the enemy and they are very, very good at their job.

Leslie
    Living and Running Behind the Redwood Curtain
    -------------

Trail Runner Nation

Sally McCrae-Choose Strong

Bare Performance

[[[[ roch's buddy ]]]]]

==========

...fatozzig//...........after I tasted Pickles' Cooking I have always had Good Insurance.....

..nothing takes the place of persistence.....

Breger - That gift for your DW still burning a hole in her Christmas stocking? Wink

Definitely.  I'm gonna keep quiet however.

Speaking of Christmas stockings I've been stocking up (no pun intended) on cruise related little things ... like a cruise ship ornament, ticket tags holders, maps, and Dramamine.  Big grin

Bill

"Some are the strong, silent type. You can't put your finger on exactly what it is they bring to the table until you run without them and then you realize that their steadiness fills a hole that leaks energy in their absence." - Kristin Armstrong

...fatozzig//...........after I tasted Pickles' Cooking I have always had Good Insurance.....

Big grin

Leslie
          Living and Running Behind the Redwood Curtain
          -------------

Trail Runner Nation

Sally McCrae-Choose Strong

Bare Performance

No spectacular 2012 miles on 12.12.2012 just turned 55 on 12.12.2012 and did a real easy run!

My headlamp is very very comfortable and I don't even notice it is there, so definitely worth wearing.

Think I will leave early today and get a run in before darkness comes again.  Have to work a bit on Saturday so no guilt doing this.

"During a marathon, I run about two-thirds of the time. That's plenty." - Margaret Davis, 85 Ed Whitlock regarding his 2:54:48 marathon at age 73, "That was a good day. It was never a struggle."

Forgot to mention that one of my crazier running friends -- not a guy either! -- posted about getting together with a group at 12:12AM this morning and running 12 miles. That's 12 at 12:12 12/12/12!

Yep, I do know some wild and crazy people! Big grin

Doug, runnin' cycling in Rochester, MI

"Think blue, count two, and look for a red shoe"

TammyinGP

Enke, what kind of headlamp do you have? I want one. My DH bought me one a couple yrs ago, but I don't use it. it bounces around too much and slides up on my head. i don't think it was specifically made for runners.

Tammy

While wasting time watching my computer code tell me what data line it is currently processing I found this article based, from what I can tell on they NYRR claim that their average NY marathon runner has a family income of $130,000 and USA Triathlon's claim that the average triathlete's household income is $126,000.  The article's title is "What's behind career achievers' love of marathons?" and can be found at:  http://management.fortune.cnn.com/2012/12/11/overachievers-marathons-endurance-sports/.  I have absolutely no idea if either organization's claim is true.  Just to warn you, the article just assumes the claims are true and then proceeds to speculate about the reasons from there.  I would file it all under "interesting if true," the "facts" and speculation as well.  Anyway, the article is very flattering to marathon runners and triatheletes alike so enjoy the head pat!

This is my last day (I hope!) in the moon boot.  That makes it day t-1 to running again!  Well, walk-run-walk at least.  Plan is 1 mile walk, 2 mile run and a 1 mile walk all on the TM tomorrow.  Yea, TM.  It is bloody freezing out!  No way to dress for and outdoor jaunt with that combination and not either freeze to death during the walk or sweat to death during the run.

Headlamps:  I purchased my headlamp to use for the annual relay race I run.  First off it is required equipment.  Second, the team one we can all share is totally gross and dripping sweat after one person wears it!  Even if it were not gross it is not very good.  The light is too dim to really light up the road.  My advice is to get a lamp with the greatest luminosity you can afford.  It really makes a huge difference.  With mine, I do not find the lighting to be flat.  More like what you see when driving your car.  Also, see if you might prefer (which I do) a headlamp that has a battery compartment in a separate case that you can keep in your pocket.  You exchange an power line running from your pocket to your headset for a much lighter headset.

Code is still running!

C-R find clones from another science fiction book.

coastwalker I hope you feel better soon.

Slo_Hand yea go for it!

Baboon congratulations on the many miles this year.  Next year a redoubling is sure going to be tough!

Jeff F convert.  Chanukah is already here and I got my first present already!  Alas the rest will only come on Christmas seeing as how my in-laws are all of that persuasion.

tomwhite to answer your first question no.  Your second, how would I know?  Good luck with the ARC!

rochrunner best wishes for your friend.  While genetics may help do us in I bet he has been this strong for so long only because he has been in such good shape.  As to your crazy runner friend she apparently has a full stock of other crazy running friends!

rhoon phast you are certainly the only person I have ever known (even if only virtually who seems to commute mostly by plane.

fatozzig chalk it up to good karma for planning to head out despite what you thought the weather would be like.

breger1 money?  How about money?  Might need to stock up on that for a cruise as well you know,  Wink

runr_nut well then Happy Birthday!  You must be 12 as well in some sort of critter years which would get you 12 on 12/12/12 in critter years. Big grin

SteveP man you are one nice guy!  I hope DD#3 appreciates the fact that you would do that basically to help out her employer.  Also, good to hear your emergency hospital run turned out well.

Yes, my code is still running.  If it is not done in another 20 minutes I am out of here anyway.  Fortunately, I can get the output from home and work from there.  [Editor: Why is that "fortunate?"  Sounds like you would be better off if your office's internet service cut out.  Twocat:  Yea, but . . . Sad]

Live like you are dying not like you are afraid to die.

Drunken Irish Soda Bread and Irish Brown Bread this way -->  http://allrecipes.com/cook/4379041/

MM#209 / JapanJoyful#803

happy twelveday nuts runner.

You might owe us 12 miles sometime though

That's 12 at 12:12 12/12/12!

that's like the guy who stood around at mile ten in the 2010 Spokane Marathon

to be there at 10:10:10 on 10/10/10.

ps - did they go out after lunch too?

"Enjoy yourself. Your younger days never come again." 100yo T. Igarashi to me in geta at top of Mt. Fuji (8/2/87)

While I am still waiting for my code to finish I finally got around to looking at my office mail.  Want to receive odd publications?  Work at a business school.  Who would have thought but there is a publication called Cayman Financial Review.  Yep, Cayman as in Cayman Islands.  A magazine devoted to a tax haven.  I would never have believed such a thing could garner a large enough readership to stay in business.  I guess I will just add this to my long list of suppositions that turned out to be wrong.

Live like you are dying not like you are afraid to die.

Drunken Irish Soda Bread and Irish Brown Bread this way -->  http://allrecipes.com/cook/4379041/

Tamster, this is similar to my headlamp.  I think I paid about 35 retail at REI for whatever model I have.

The strap is very comfy, the lux output is probably not really high, but sufficient for me.  Without it, I cannot see the pine cones on the road and lately there have been a lot of those traffic monitoring cords going across the road that I have been rolling my feet on, cause I can't see them without a headlamp.  The strap also stops some of the sweat from running into my face.  Batteries seem to last a long time.  When it gets light out during a morning run, I just turn it off and leave it on my head instead of putting it into my jacket pocket, it is that comfortable.  Does not bounce or slip around.

So I came home early, and around 2:30pm set out for 5.1 rainy, windy, hilly miles.  Feet were soaked at the end, but boy, what a TREAT to run during daylight hours, if you can call this crap daylight (feels like perpetual dusk).  Just might be able to leave work early on Friday and try this again.  Smile

"During a marathon, I run about two-thirds of the time. That's plenty." - Margaret Davis, 85 Ed Whitlock regarding his 2:54:48 marathon at age 73, "That was a good day. It was never a struggle."

Easy 3.5 miles this morning...

Looking for a place to Happen, making stops along the way - The Hip
                            stumpy77

Trails are hard!

Good evening, all.  Watching the 121212 concert for Sandy relief.  It's a Boomer special--Bruce, Stones, Who, Roger Waters, etc.  Liked Billy Crystal's intro, too.

As for running, nothing like a 20+ degree drop between days.  3.1 miles in high 40's yesterday, 3.8 in mid-20's today.

Need a fast half for late fall.  Then I need to actually train for it.

Fanilow

Happy 12/12 everyone! 5.5 cold miles for me this morning. I am hoping to run through the winter this year. Last year I took the worst winter months off and had to start all over in the spring. It was ugly.

2014 goals

Well, there's always next year.