Masters Running

Tuesday Daily, 9.25.12 (Read 348 times)

{{{Posie Lady}}} - Hang in there.  The is most likely related to the bad air and the wretched treadmill.  That combo would put a funk into anyone.

JLynne - When I saw the highlight on ESPN this morning, first thing I said to The Hub was, "Oh my!  JLynne is gonna be PO'd!"

{{{TK's Ankle}}}

Jay - Maybe we should exchange phone numbers so we can call one another when we're not sleeping.   . . . . oh, wait.  You're 1:00 a.m. is my 10:00 p.m.  Never mind.  I gotta at least give myself a chance.

4 EZ miles this a.m. with 6 strides tagged on at the end, followed up with an hour of core/strength training whilst watching "Circle of Friends."  One of my all-time favs.

Leslie
    Living and Running Behind the Redwood Curtain
    -------------

Trail Runner Nation

Sally McCrae-Choose Strong

Bare Performance

RCG

Rose Colored Glasses

Hi All,
      I've been enjoying the banter today. Hope Jay is awake. I suspect I will be the one tossing and turning tonight (more on that later)

Mariposai, I sure hope the air clears soon. You deserve to feel as good as you make us feel with your cheerful outlook on life.

Spareribs, if I am correct in my calculations, you are not too far away from here on the NC Coast? 2-5 hours?

Good to read DeeGeeBeeGee.

Great seeing Hermi, too.

tomwhite, you continue to make me smile. And Tet, too.

I am fading now, so no more shout-outs...

49F

IRC

5.35 miles with Jane. Nice starry morning, moon had moved somewhere else.

(the later more from before)

Why I plan on sleeping poorly tonight: I love my current job. But it has increased my desire to go back into "real" nursing. And so, my bosses (who are my friends) have supported my decision to apply for two hospital jobs. My bosses want me to continue to work at my current job AND pursue the hospital work.
      Which is what I want to do, too.

The first hospital job is one that I was sort of offered but, we "have to go through the proper channels" is a research nurse position an acquaintance told me about months ago! I would be working for her a couple days a week with cardiology research studies. (This hospital is in Newport News) The acquaintance emailed me yesterday to tell me that she was posting the job at lunch time.

The second hospital job is essentially the one I left 12 years ago because I was tired of working 12 hours night shift (1900-0700). But the hospital only offered 12 hours shifts.
      Well. I ran into an old friend/co-worker at Target yesterday and she said she was not working 12 hours and that they were letting her work 4s and 8s.

I asked if there were opening for PRN nurses. She said, "YES!"

So I filled out the on-line application today and hit SUBMIT!

MY PROBLEM:
      Do I apply for the first job, too and see if I get an offer from both, either, or none?

Or do I just wait to hear back from second job? (This back in labor and delivery here in town.)

Jay, pass the anxiety baton, I'll take over from here. 

"Anytime you see the word "inflation" in the news, replace it with "record-breaking corporate profits" and you'll get what's happening."

RCG

Rose Colored Glasses

rhoon, great pictures of the fall colors from your plane.  Jay, good job in your 4 mile race with 2nd racewalker.  mari, fantastic mountain pictures.  opie, congrats on hitting 1000 miles for the year.  Tammy, way to go, toughing out the half.  dg, it's great to have a post from you and hear about your comeback with 7.5 mile, hilly, run.

Nice long runs for lame and evan.

This morning, it was about 50° and there was a light wind.  I got in 8 miles at a 10:47 pace.

A good day and good runs for all.

TomS

Oh and what TomS said!

Hey Tom,

It is great to read about your 8 miles! That is a good distance and a good pace!

Your friend,

RCG

P.S.

Three out of four of the sports columnists picked the Browns to go the longest without a win this year. (Or is that every year?)    Sad

"Anytime you see the word "inflation" in the news, replace it with "record-breaking corporate profits" and you'll get what's happening."

buehrle this is an easy call.  As a very smart friend of mine once told me, "Never turn down a job you have not been offered."  That applies to any method of short circuiting an offer, in this case by not even applying.  Apply to both.  If you get both, see if they will compete to ultimately give you a better offer.  Then take the one you like most.

Live like you are dying not like you are afraid to die.

Drunken Irish Soda Bread and Irish Brown Bread this way -->  http://allrecipes.com/cook/4379041/

Posi,

Beautiful backyard!

DG,

Hi !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

TomS,

Great to  see you still pounding out the miles.

I have been busy with work and my grand kids along with dead things in the walls. I have been getting in my runs though. 7 really comfortable miles Sunday and 3 miles today after work. Not feeling real good today I think I may have caught Liams (DGS) cold. Oh ya did you notice the reference to dead things in the walls? I had a terrible smell from my bathroom walls that turned out to be 2 dead squirrels. I am not sure how they died in there but Peee! Youuuu ! You would think  a squirrel could climb back out for goodness sake.

I had to cut the drywall a foot up all the way around the bathroom. Now as long as its torn up the DW says its a good time to redecorate.

Larry

Chumbawamba: I get knocked down But I get up again You're never going to keep me down

Marathon Maniac #957

(((Dave)))

RCG - what Twocat said.

Mariposai - (((hugs)))

3.5 miles for me today because I fussed around and ran out of time before work.

Life is a headlong rush into the unknown. We can hunker down and hope nothing hits us or we can stand tall, lean into the wind and say, "Bring it on, darlin', and don't be stingy with the jalapenos."

RCG

Rose Colored Glasses

buehrle this is an easy call.  As a very smart friend of mine once told me, "Never turn down a job you have not been offered."  That applies to any method of short circuiting an offer, in this case by not even applying.  Apply to both.  If you get both, see if they will compete to ultimately give you a better offer.  Then take the one you like most.

Thank you for this sensible response.

You caught me with "That applies to any method of short circuiting an offer, in this case by not even applying."

If both hospitals made me offers, I know I would take the one in L&D. Because I am comfortable with that and it is a lot closer to my house and will pay more.

But. I have NOT been offered either job.

The fact is I might get no offers.

And that would be okay, too, because my current job is satisfactory.

That cardiology research nurse job? There will be a huge learning curve but, I have confidence that I could master the skills necessary to perform well.

And that would be pretty cool, too.

Thank you for this sensible response because it has forced me to think about that research job. If the L&D job had never appeared, would I apply to the research job? 

The answer to that is: I should.
                And so I will. 

Mariposai

Just checking in to see if Jay is still awake Clown

Rosie, good luck with the job offersSmile

I decided to stop by here just for a quick post to send good luck to Jay and now I am reading about posole  recipe (one of my favorite down to earth food, btw) and all desire to go running is gone from me. All of the sudden I am too hungry to do anything Black eye. I should just have gone out without posting...

Roll eyes what to do, what to do?

"Champions are everywhereall you need is to train them properly..." ~Arthur Lydiard

dg.

quickie (I hope) post, mainly to say hi & thanks for all the welcomes!

Nancy....  take care of yourself!!! do you so much, all the time, I don't know all of the circumstances here but cut yourself a little slack, ok??      just can't imagine you in danger of slugdom.  have read articles about how the elites take a week or 2 a year to just rest.   or something like that..... listen to what your body is telling you.             ..... of course maybe it's just the bad air & circumstances, too bad.  hope it clears up soon

Larry, I haven't 'seen' you in 100 years!  how are you?

Rosie, both.   excited for you.

ran w/the track club tonight, a new thing for me. they get to use an outdoor u of m track which is pretty nice.  200's, (just 12, but I did them all), just starting to try to do a little speed work again.  behaved for the most part.  I love 200's.   

ok just keeping my toes in.  more tomorrow I hope.

Mariposai

DG, the issue has been bad air quality in my area due to forest fires. Thanks for your concern.

7 zombileks miles for me under sunny skies today, first one in over two weeks Smile. The zombies mission was "exploration" and yes...zombies were everywhere and I lost all supplies gathered today, but I out-run 1 group ...not bad for tired legs.

Sorry if I am late for the party...but

Happy Birthday Batman!!!!

"Champions are everywhereall you need is to train them properly..." ~Arthur Lydiard

Bushrat Runner

Today, all day, ended up being dedicated to raising a boat that got swamped against a dock and sank on its side last night. This time, it was our boat, and the maintenance guy that was out at the river in the morning called it in. My staff pretty much did nothing else, but the boat is out, getting dried out, and tomorrow we'll get it right and ready to go again. A lot of work though. Next time we decide to sink a boat, I hope we sink a small one. 

Work trip to town for me tomorrow. Will run in evening.

Dave59

Green Bay replacement weather guy: http://www.nbc26.com/news/nbc26-today/171143461.html

Good to see the city has a sense of humor.