Masters Running

Friday 2/27 Master Runs and Workouts (Read 553 times)

Marathon Maniac #3309

Ribs, this has me thinking. Are you saying that Holly should NOT be doing this kind of speed work right now...even though she is roughly where you say this kind of work should be done. OK, you seem to say "wait till your A race" is that correct. I mean, is there more than one Marathon which a person may want to BQ? I only ask because I am trying to figure out this process. If she is - lets say 8 weeks out - which she almost is right now, wouldn't be ok if she did the workout she did? Or, are you saying "save it" for a bigger and better race...just pondering. Yeah, last year when you coached me, there was many many runs when I knew I was done...but just HAD TO get the mileage in...no more as injuries suck, and I want to run "quality miles" not "quanity miles...huge difference. Last night I finally got it...big time. 6 miles I felt like I was done with a good workout. Before I would say....nope, you HAVE to finish. Then I thought...hey, what about Sat and how you will feel then. The was a deal breaker that I will never forget. And was one you tried to make me understand... but I was too stubborn. So, I want to run all year...not limping around. I get it, TimBo

Running has given me the courage to start, the determination to keep trying, and the childlike spirit to have fun along the way - Run often and run long, but never outrun your Joy of running!

Maniac 505

I visited the local running store (doing my part for small business) and dumped a whack of cash on a pair of Asics 2140's. Nice, cushiony, I love em. It was free Gu Friday so I did save $1.25. Roll eyes
      Enka: Enjoy the new shoes. You deserve them. but in the interest of the economy, IMHO you don't need any GU until you get well over 15 miles, and $1.25/GU? If you don't need caffeine switch to Crank. You can get them down to $0.80 or so each, (less if you refer your friends) nice run, good luck on your upcoming 1/2, wish I could do it. Dave

Marathon Maniac #957

Divechief - I haven't seen Crank. I did try PowerBar Gel recently, which was surprisingly not too gross, and I think they are about 1.10 at Meijer (grocery store) vs. 1.25 for GU at the running store. The PowerBar gel was more liquidy, and went down a lot more quickly than the more pasty GU.

Life is a headlong rush into the unknown. We can hunker down and hope nothing hits us or we can stand tall, lean into the wind and say, "Bring it on, darlin', and don't be stingy with the jalapenos."

Renee the dog

Is there really a product named Crank? OMG, I thought divechief meant crystal meth... which fit amazingly well in the reply. LOL...yeah, I belong in the boomers forum....

GOALS 2012: UNDECIDED

GOALS 2011: LIVE!!!

Crank sounds scary, is that a cyclist's power gel? To respond to your suggestion Divechief, I do need a GU for the Mercer Island Half as they have nothing but water on course. I prefer to just drink a bit of gatorade during HM's, but there won't be any on this course. So last year I had one Gu around mile 7, maybe two I can't remember. If I don't have something, my experience has been that I get lightheaded around 10 miles. Yesterday I experimented with running the second half of my HMP miles holding a bottle of Gatorade and taking sips. A lot of it went down my shirt so I think I will stick with a Gu and drink water on the course.

"During a marathon, I run about two-thirds of the time. That's plenty." - Margaret Davis, 85 Ed Whitlock regarding his 2:54:48 marathon at age 73, "That was a good day. It was never a struggle."

Marathon Maniac #957

Enke - you could try one of those sippy cups with the straws. I used on of those at Boston last year, then pitched it about the 10 mile mark when I got tired of carrying it.

Life is a headlong rush into the unknown. We can hunker down and hope nothing hits us or we can stand tall, lean into the wind and say, "Bring it on, darlin', and don't be stingy with the jalapenos."

I like your idea Holly, but I might be embarrassed to be running with a Spongebob Squarepants sippy cup. What would be perfect is something with a no leak straw and collapsible and re-useable.

"During a marathon, I run about two-thirds of the time. That's plenty." - Margaret Davis, 85 Ed Whitlock regarding his 2:54:48 marathon at age 73, "That was a good day. It was never a struggle."

Marathon Maniac #957

I got one at Wal-Mart or Meijer, not in the baby aisle, but in the tupperware-type stuff for lunch boxes. It was a plain tupperware bottle, small, maybe 8 oz. with a fold down straw. Probably paid about $2 for it.