Masters Running

Friday's Daily, 8.17.12 (Read 411 times)

coastwalker

Mornin' all.

I'm getting a late start today because DW and I had a meeting (over coffee/breakfast) this morning. We're business partners as well as life partners, and we had things to discuss, ranging from customer communications to our plans for our wedding anniversary (next month). Odd that we had to schedule a meeting, but we did and it worked.

Spareribs "tolerate" you?!  Heck, you are one of the major reasons it is worth visiting this forum nearly every day. What I want to know is how in the world did the prosecutor let this go to trial!  I sure hope Man A not only gets off but the judge slaps the prosecutor upside the head for bringing this to court and give Man A a tongue lashing while he is at it!

All true. except that it is Man B who deserves the tongue lashing, plus a fine to cover everyone's time that he wasted by bringing this suite. The last time I got called for jury duty, I was excused from a slander case when I said the suit was stupid and a waste of time.

StarrRuns - congrats for signing up for your half! Sounds like a good race, and isn't it great to have something like that to get excited about!

WildChild - you win in the" interesting and varied critter-sighting contest!!"

OM - HELP! Without wheels and a gyroscope, I don't know how to be a Segway...

Tselbes - I agree that it is good to have good family. DW and I always remark about how well her dozens of siblings and cousins always get along at family gatherings, and pitch in without question whenever someone in the extended family needs help

Twocat - Happy Birthday to your DW. It was good of you to be flexible enough to roll with whatever came your way and to still make her day special.

I competed in the Saunders At Rye Harbor 10K last evening. Pop-up showers started about an hour before the race, and stopped in time for the sun to come back out and dry the roads. Temps were good (mid 70s), but it was a bit humid, especially after the showers. The course is nice, with lots of 'inclines,' and only one short uphill at 3 miles. I did OK, but far from great, finishing in 1:06:+ (10:44 pace), for 2nd place among the walkers. My (younger) friend Stephan beat me by about 3 minutes, as I expected he would. All-in-all, not so bad for a Thursday night.

This morning, I went for a quick 1.5 mi. walk - just enough so I could get loose and come back for some core work.

Enjoy!  -  Jay

Without ice cream there would be darkness and chaos.

King of PhotoShop

5 at easy pace this morning and although the temps were reasonable in high 70's, it was unusually humid, so I labored a bit. Embedded were 2 x 400 meters at 2 minutes each.

Thank you all for yesterday's comments.  Tramps, I was Man C.

I am incredulous as to what happened.  The defendant in this case is one of those gentle, but nervous and not very articulate people, maybe mid-50's.  The Prosecutor spoke privately to him to go over his options.  One of the options was that he could plead no contest, there would be no trial, charges would be dropped and he would be on 90 days probation, but there would be nothing on his record.  If he chose this route, he would pay court fees of $264.  He conferred with his wife and decided to do just that. He told me he was sorry, that he knew I had hoped to testify in his behalf, but that he was not a good speaker and was more afraid he would say the wrong thing, make a mistake in his nervousness and run the risk of losing, in which case it would be on his record.  I was disappointed I didn't get to tell what I saw, as I was convinced he had no chance of being judged guilty, but it's his decision not mine and he said the money was not an issue.  The smirk on the face of Man B made it all the worse but I did what I felt was right to do.  What a travesty.  Spareribs

He should have consulted a lawyer.  The case will likely show up on a background check for the next several years.

I'm excited to see how fast I can race tomorrow.  This will only be the 4th time this year I've raced and I looked at one of those calculators the other day.  They predict a time for a 2-mile race that seems incredibly fast.

"I didn’t run a race until I was 41 and that was a marathon! Let that sink in for a minute." -me

Dave59

I ran an easy 4 miles this morning.

Goal for today: Don't buy anymore cookies after I finish off all the ones in the house.

I noticed that my wife opened a box of Triscuit crackers (cracked pepper & olive oil) from the bottom of the box.  I taped it shut and opened them from the top.  Does that make me a bad person?

Have fun at the races:

08/17 hermosaboy - Ragnar Great River Relay

08/17 Mike E - Ragnar Great River Relay

08/18 henrun - Larry Olsen Memorial 10K, Hopedale, Ma

08/18 Marj - Larry Olsen Memorial 10K, Hopedale, Ma

08/18 phillipfromga - Area 13.1 Half Marathon, Roswell, GA

08/18 Ileneforward - Kevin Cook spirit run 5k, Orange CA

08/18 Opie - Red Coyote & OCU Race Series, 2 miles, Oklahoma City OK

08/18 pfriese - Red Coyote & OCU Race Series 2 miles, Oklahoma City OK

08/19 MilkTruck - Westport Island Shore Run 10K, Westport Island, ME

08/19 HollyS - Great Miami HM, Morrow, OH

wildchild

Carolyn

Nice racing, Jay.  Good luck to all the weekend racers.

Ribs, Karma will hopefully catch up with Man B at some point.

It was in the low 50s this morning, IRC for a 7.6 mile trail run before work, 9:36 avg pace.   I saw a dead deer on the side of the road this morning that made me sad.  Life is short.  Make the most of it.

Carolyn

I hammered down the trail, passing rocks and trees like they were standing still.

Mike E

MM #5615

Good morning everybody!  Yeah--I'm home this morning.  I asked for the whole day off so I could go to the Ragnar Relay.  This was before I found out that I'm in van 2 that doesn't leave until 4:00.  I never told them I didn't need the whole day...I feel like I'm skipping school...not that I would know how that feels...

Ribs--my blood is boiling over that whole deal!  I hate it when the bad guys win!  Actually, I hate it when the good guys are taken advantage of becuase they are "good guys".  Does that make any sense?  Luckily, Dave's post made me laugh and calmed me down...whew--that guy is lucky Dave came along. 

Yep--I'm heading out for the Ragnar Great River Relay, today.  I have to admit, I'm feeling a little pressure.  Hermosaboy is in a running club that has 3 teams running.  They're a great bunch of people and were nice enough to allow me to be on one of their teams this year and last.  Last year, I was on their #2 team.  This year, I was moved to their #1 team...and they're the defending champions!  That's pressure!  But it will be fun.  Hermosaboy is the first runner in van 1 and I am the last runner in van 2 so I'll see him at least twice...although we probably won't talk much.

Okay--I'm going to share this with you guys because...well...besides Ryan, you're the only ones who really care about this stuff.  In my last race--the MDRA 15k, Ryan set a state record for 21 year olds.  He also ran it when he was 19 and set a state record for 19 year olds.  Well...I have never set any kind of state record in my life and I want to, dang it!  So--this year, a 55 year old just happened to set a new state record in 54:39.  My goal for next year is to break that record.  Oh, I know, I only ran a 59:07.  And, yes, it was perfect weather conditions this year when it's normally pretty hot.  And, yeah--if you look back through my records you'll find that my 15k pr is 55:02 back in 2000 on a much easier course.  I know it's going to be hard to do...but it it was going to be easy...would it be worth it?  So--I have 1 year to drop 4 1/2 minutes off my 15k time.  That's about 30 seconds a mile.  Okay--there--I said it--now there's no turning back--I have to do it.

Okay--I guess I'd better go and get ready.  Have a great day everybody!  And good luck to everybody else racing this weekend!

Thank you for the typo fix Coastwalker.  I am going to double down on the point that the prosecutor should be held responsible here.  A prosecutor is not supposed to just "win" or even clear cases.  He is supposed to help seek justice.  Getting poor Man A to plead down the charge was not justice and given the impending testimony by Spareribs the prosecutor was well aware of the case's lack of merit.  Our public officials are not supposed to just beat down on those too afraid to defend themselves; as seems to have happened here.

No running for me today as I ran yesterday.  Instead elliptical, work and then grocery shopping to get ready for my barbecue party tomorrow.

Here is my part of the menu:

Ribs (of course!)

Jicima slaw

Collard greens

Farro with braised Swiss chard and ricotta cheese

Bourbon-pecan-sweet potatoes

Gazpacho (per DW's request)

Either roast acorn squash with maple glazed pumpkin seeds or oven roasted butternut squash fries.  There is some chance that or should be and and!

Okay, back to work for me.

Live like you are dying not like you are afraid to die.

Drunken Irish Soda Bread and Irish Brown Bread this way -->  http://allrecipes.com/cook/4379041/

Okay--I'm going to share this with you guys because...well...besides Ryan, you're the only ones who really care about this stuff.  In my last race--the MDRA 15k, Ryan set a state record for 21 year olds.  He also ran it when he was 19 and set a state record for 19 year olds.  Well...I have never set any kind of state record in my life and I want to, dang it!  So--this year, a 55 year old just happened to set a new state record in 54:39.  My goal for next year is to break that record.  Oh, I know, I only ran a 59:07.  And, yes, it was perfect weather conditions this year when it's normally pretty hot.  And, yeah--if you look back through my records you'll find that my 15k pr is 55:02 back in 2000 on a much easier course.  I know it's going to be hard to do...but it it was going to be easy...would it be worth it?  So--I have 1 year to drop 4 1/2 minutes off my 15k time.  That's about 30 seconds a mile.  Okay--there--I said it--now there's no turning back--I have to do it.

Okay--I guess I'd better go and get ready.  Have a great day everybody!  And good luck to everybody else racing this weekend!

Only 59:07?!  My 15k PR is 1:21:35, last fall, and I was so excited.  Of course you have a great goal.  And have a fun Ragnar!

"I didn’t run a race until I was 41 and that was a marathon! Let that sink in for a minute." -me

I feel for that Man A.  You really shouldn't go up to strange dogs.

There is a little poodlish dog belonging to a house that is the last house on a road before an elementary school.  Anyway, he is off leash a lot during the summer, I guess because no one walks down the road there.  He always runs up close to me, barking, following me along.  His Dad always comes out from the garage and chastises him.  Today it was "Now don't you just pretend to be listening to me!"  The dog was sitting by the owner, but his head was turned, watching my every move.  I thought it was pretty funny.

This morning was one of those days were I almost blew off my run.  I had gotten up late, ate to much food last night, I had already run 3 days in a row, was feeling blah....and trying to come up with more excuses.  But I realized I did have enough time so I went out for 4.2 miles and it was one of the best runs I've had in a while.  You just can't predict beforehand!  My legs felt fresh the whole time.

Mike, that is quite a goal.  Power to ya!

"During a marathon, I run about two-thirds of the time. That's plenty." - Margaret Davis, 85 Ed Whitlock regarding his 2:54:48 marathon at age 73, "That was a good day. It was never a struggle."

C-R

Nice racing Jay.

That's a sad story Ribs. Seems too many people go through life with a chip on their shoulder and an axe to grind. It was nice you were there to be ready to help tell the story.

Good luck racers.

That is a sweet goal Mike. Go get it!

Just a short run today to get the legs moving. I need to find more time to run or I need to get off my butt and invent that time machine I've been thinking about for so long. My only problem is how would you log a run properly if I did use the time continuum? Oh well another quandary.

Cheers.

"He conquers who endures" - Persius
                      "Every workout should have a purpose. Every purpose should link back to achieving a training objective." - Spaniel

http://ncstake.blogspot.com/

King of PhotoShop

Wildchild said it best. I have to learn not to get upset when stuff like this happens and just accept that the way people conduct themselves in life will eventually come back to them.  Spareribs

Great goal, Mike.  You have can do it!

Nice, Enke!

Bullwinkle is not as goofy looking as TV portrayed him.  I'm assuming that means Rockie isn't as smart as he's portrayed.

Way to go with the flow, TK!  You with the Husband of the Month award.

Rest day today, which is good since I didn't get home until after 10:30 last night from Bonkos.  Didn't win, but came in 2nd and got $30.  Well, $20 when you count that we put $10 in the pot to play. 

Am suppose to have a phone meeting with Coach Gary tonight.  Hopefully, he's close to giving me a new schedule.

Later ~

Leslie
                          Living and Running Behind the Redwood Curtain
                          -------------

Trail Runner Nation

Sally McCrae-Choose Strong

Bare Performance

Go Mike E!

(((Bonkos non-winners)))

OK, I'm really happy it's Friday.  A great day today, and my little 2-miler run was super easy.  I took my new cat to the vet, who cluck-clucked about what a nice, handsome cat I found (adopted him from the animal shelter on Saturday).    Yay!

Marathon Maniac #957

Ribs, Karma will hopefully catch up with Man B at some point.

I tend to believe that karma does catch up to these people eventually.  While we may not see it ourselves, I believe these people live with their own misery, isolated eventually by their alienating behavior. 

Nicely done, Jay!

Mike - you are my running hero, and I will cheer you on whatever your goal, you speed-demon, you!

Spent the evening getting all the stuff out of the boxes and putting them into the new kitchen cabinets.  DH ingeniously cut a portion of the old countertop with the sink included, laid it overtop of the new cabinets, and re-hooked the plumbing, so we have a temporary kitchen sink!  New countertops installed in one week.

No run for me today, but 30 minutes of upper body weights and core.

Life is a headlong rush into the unknown. We can hunker down and hope nothing hits us or we can stand tall, lean into the wind and say, "Bring it on, darlin', and don't be stingy with the jalapenos."

I took my new cat to the vet, who cluck-clucked about what a nice, handsome cat I found (adopted him from the animal shelter on Saturday).    Yay!

I knew there was a reason I liked you. Wink

How's your son doing these days?

Leslie
                                Living and Running Behind the Redwood Curtain
                                -------------

Trail Runner Nation

Sally McCrae-Choose Strong

Bare Performance