Masters Running

Thursday May 28th Daily (Read 34 times)

an amazing likeness

As a 'very seldom' poster in the daily, I can't seem to stop myself from chiming in with an opinion on Jay's RD situation...

First, as everyone who has run the event knows, this is a top-notch race in terms of organization; a well-oiled and practiced group who I have no doubt will make a well-reasoned decision.

Secondly, I have been in a race and had a runner go down about 10 yards in front of me. A few of us stopped, kept others from trampling him, moved him to the side of the course, and helped as best we could to get the attention of a nearby official. It was hard to get help, and to know what to do in the heat of the moment. I hope to never have to do it again given all angst it produced afterwards about whether I did the right thing in moving him, leaving when I did, etc, etc.

The race course involved in this discussion (if it is the half marathon) has rural sections where there are no nearby volunteers for 1/2 or a mile or so. Were a runner to go down in certain sections, it would be some time (4-5min) before someone would get to next intersection and a course official and request help, and then time for help to reach the runner would start ticking from that point.

I would find it completely appropriate to require this person be accompanied (per Holly's suggestion) by a guardian with a cell phone, or deny their entry on risks to self and others.

Acceptable at a dance, invaluable in a shipwreck.

Hi all,

Jay - tough situation there.  I would think a person prone to seizures would want to have a run/race buddy with them all the time anyway - at least if they have any common sense they would. My friend Kim - some of you met her at Robin's party - always races with a friend in case she goes down on the course but somehow she usually makes it to the finish and straight to the med tent!!

Tammy - hope your back feels better quickly!

Erika - some crazy temps you deal with there - your garden sounds great!

Tuesday was my swim, computrain day, Wed work with just a mile walk each way - everyone is in a panic over GO LIVE for Epic this weekend --- I AM DREADING IT!! Today 4.2 easy miles around 5:20 this morning before I picked up my lovely Maria!! My left heel only had mild discomfort on the run and actually felt pretty good all day!! Started seeing a chiropractor last week and maybe things are starting to come together -- good thing because my hubby is "starting" to think I've gone over the deep edge and is wondering how many other people I am going to see to get this heel better!! I say whatever and how many it takes!!  Patriot 70.3 is just a little over 3 weeks away - yikes!!

denise

Mike E

MM #5615

Hello everybody!

I went 6 miles, tonight...I had to run tonight because,tomorrow night, I have to suffer through go to a granddaugh's dance recital.

Anyway, as I ran down streets that were completely covered with those helicopter things from the maple trees, I wondered

of roch ever figured out what was going on.

Okay--gotta go--see ya!

wildchild

Carolyn

We have no maple helicopters here, because we have no maples.  Just lodgepole pines and aspens.   I remember throwing maple helicopters out of second story windows when I was a kid, and watching them whirl down to the ground!

Interesting discussion about Jay's seizure guy - I have nothing to add, but it's been instructive to read everyone's suggestions!

Long day here, with no time for a run.  My DH got a small agave splinter in his thumb yesterday when working in his shop, and didn't think much more about it, but when he woke up this morning he had a red streak from his wrist to his armpit - classic infection.  So we went to the ER in Boulder, and they admitted him and started him on IV antibiotics.  He's on a restricted diet because of food allergies, so I went to the grocery and got him some lunch, then drove home and cooked dinner, and drove back to Boulder to take him  his dinner, breakfast, computer, and toothbrush and stuff.  Oh, and it's an hour drive each way.  Hope he recovers quickly.

I hammered down the trail, passing rocks and trees like they were standing still.

MM#209 / JapanJoyful#803

For the most part, I've accepted the fact that age is getting to me and to do what I can without feeling bad about it.  However, there are times when it does get to me..

me too, especially when my 83 yo IM mentor can still beat me any any distance 5K - marathon.  I'll have another chance at a mid-june half though.  Howeer, the pleasure and satisfaction of sitting on a park bench at the beach today like an old geezer for over an hour watching 5-yo GS ,making sand castles, dams, learning to skip rocks, chasing seagulls and pigeons, etc. made me appreciate that getting old isn't that bad after all, . . . and he doesn't care if I'm fast-or-slow.  Besides, I guess I am an old geezer.

"Enjoy yourself. Your younger days never come again." 100yo T. Igarashi to me in geta at top of Mt. Fuji (8/2/87)

mrrun

fly-by post with running in Lyon along the Rhone

evanflein

Ohhh, bummer to have to follow a post from Marj with a photo of Henry in Europe! Hope you guys are having fun! (but it sure looks like you are, keep it up!)

Carolyn, I hope your DH is ok soon. That's pretty scary how fast that came on!

We actually had scattered showers all day from about 11 a.m. on so I didn't get out until that system moved on. That was about 4 p.m., so I just did a GA run on the roads around work (6.1 miles) and grabbed the truck from DH. Went home and planted a full row of beans (new variety, we'll see how it goes), 18 broccoli seedlings, 6 cauliflower (two each of three varieties), and 6 cabbage (3 each of two varieties, green and purple). I've got potatoes left to go and some miscellaneous things to plant in bare spots (a couple sunflowers, some parsley, etc) and I'm done. Then the flower garden (food comes first!).

I wish I'd taken a "before" picture of the garden before we rototilled it. It looked terrible. Then it looked nice, but empty. Now it's filling up but I've spent a lot of time cleaning out old weeds and roots from last year... seeing as how I gave up on the whole thing with all the rain and cool temps. I've got big hopes for the garden this year, but it's still really early in the process....