Masters Running

Tuesday Sunrise 6.3 (Read 36 times)

henrun enjoy your new sneakers!  I hope you find some good running routes on which to make use of them.

stumpy77 grr.  Red Soxs bad!  Bad!

deez4boyz the only way I get in a run prior to coastwalker is to take a trip to Europe.  That way you can run at around even 8am (let alone 5:15!) and get started and done before he is even up!

fatozzig did you make up the Humboldt County list?  I really like #2!

tselbs you are in the wrong place!  The last two days here in CT have been spectacular!  Sunny, low 70's for the high, with very little humidity!

Craneium congratulations on getting healed up.  Best wishes for staying that way.

SubDood can I get a list of races you plan to do this year?  I would kind of like to see about finding ones far, far away.  Just a precaution you know.  

AamosY I suspect you could just run to the start in VT, do the course and run home!

evanflein oh I so do love AZ!  I remember being there one summer I would be out and about and everybody else would be hunkered down in the AC.  Sigh.

StarrRuns congratulations to your DH!

mrrun if you want to ever start the daily and avoid the 4:30am start see my note above to deez4boyz.

wildchild and Holly S. it looks like you are all having way too much fun!  wildchild good luck on your quest to reach Kansas.  I hear clicking some shoes together is actually a lot faster than driving.  You might want to try it and see how it goes.  

coastwalker best wishes for a totally pointless and uneventful physical!

tomwhite see going to Europe makes getting up way too early in the US quite manageable.  It even makes it easy to start the daily if ever want to!

enkephalin if your knee is behaving then that is way better than if the run felt sluggish or not.

Mariposai good way to taper!  Maybe you can get my DW to let you straighten out her office while you are busy trying to think of ways to avoid running?

TammyinGP I am pretty sure if you took your dogs anywhere they would be happy!  Well, maybe not the vet.  But other than that I think dogs are just happy to be with their people.

lamerunner I quite like trail running too.  As an aside I have discovered my shoes wear more evenly in the heal on trails.  I think it is the lack of camber in the trail as opposed to a road.  Unfortunately around where I live there are none unless you get in a car and drive off for a bit.  Even then, the trails tend to be too short to run.

Another day of no running for me.  Instead I did a bit of gym work then off to do computer work.  On a positive note my leg is feeling pretty good and my code is working!

Live like you are dying not like you are afraid to die.

Drunken Irish Soda Bread and Irish Brown Bread this way -->  http://allrecipes.com/cook/4379041/

evanflein

I wonder how Jlynne's sister is doing....

Nice that Carolyn and Holly got to run together. They've got a long drive ahead of them.

"Excessive Heat Warning" was on the news today. So this is hot even for the locals. I got up early again and ran 7 miles. It was nice this morning, probably mid 70's when I started, and I took some water this time so was a little better prepared. I have managed to get bitten by something, I think mosquitoes, but it's like when I was in Hawaii... legs are covered in itchy welts. I'm used to our mosquitoes, but these are different and I'm having a bad reaction. Bleh. Stopped at the store on the way back this morning and bought some Benadryl spray. Ripped it open right there in the store and sprayed my red itchy spots. Then ran the last mile back to the hotel.

We're going shooting this afternoon! We could sign up for various activities, and we decided to do the target practice. I've never shot a gun before, so this could be interesting.

C-R

Wow is this place busy today.

Nice pic Carolyn and great you got a run with Holly.

Sorry about the injury tc. Heal up now - ya heer.

So Ribs got me to thinking about being Southern. I spent my formative HS years in Deep Alabama. Just for a bit of context. Dad was military. Mom - German. I was raised as a little Deutches kinder until 13 when it was time for that last retirement posting. Yup it was Alabama. My primary language was German, I could speak English but not Southern. It was fun. So with that Ribs - you neglected one of the best comments - You can say anything about anyone if you include "bless his/her heart" in the sentence and its an acceptable comment. Some of my favorites directed at me, "He ain't overly smart for bein Uropeean, bless his heart", "He sure has a goofy accent, bless his heart." and so on. Still makes me laugh.

7.2 miles at lunch today and I just figured out it was my shoes causing my ankle to flare. Too much use of flats. Oh well.

"He conquers who endures" - Persius
        "Every workout should have a purpose. Every purpose should link back to achieving a training objective." - Spaniel

http://ncstake.blogspot.com/

C-R - Ha!!  My MIL says "bless his/her heart" all the time.  She's a Texan, as was my mom, and my dad is an Okie.

2Kitty - Yes, I made up the Humboldt Co. list, and it's so true!  If you look at Craigslist under gardening for Humboldt, TONS of people looking for jobs to prune marijuana.  Interestingly, Sunday night on the LMN channel, we happened upon an hour-long program about the negative impact of marijuana growing in Arcata, one of the most liberal towns you will ever find.  The estimate is that 1 out of ever 7 homes is being used as a grow house.  Rents have skyrocketed because landlords know they can make, for example, $1600, as opposed $900, per month renting to a grower.  They get a big security deposit, and I guess they hope that between the rent and SD, when the growers leave, they have enough money to rehab the now completely destroyed rental house.  I could go on and on about the negative affects this county is now reeling from because of the marijuana and now meth, as well, but I won't..

Erika - You  must be melting.  Sounds like ice cream weather, to me!

Leslie
          Living and Running Behind the Redwood Curtain
          -------------

Trail Runner Nation

Sally McCrae-Choose Strong

Bare Performance

King of PhotoShop

C-R, I wrote a column on this subject for my club's newsletter many years ago. It was called "Ask Spareribs" and was kind of a bad advice column.  Here was one of the questions and my reply:

Dear Spareribs:

I met my girlfriend when we both took up running at the same time, but she is now way faster than I am, and I think she is losing interest in me because she always wants to run with others.  She said to me this week, “I know you work hard at your running, bless your heart, but you just don’t have a lot of speed, and I need to go faster.”  What do you think?  Phil in Park Cities

Dear Phil:

I think the real problem is your inability to speak Texan.  When Texans bless your heart, they are not offering you a real blessing; they’re telling you you’re pond scum.  You have to learn to read between the lines.  Here are some examples:

“I see your boyfriend has gotten himself a new haircut.  Bless his heart, it makes him look so much younger.”

Translation:  “He’s homelier than a bar of homemade soap and the haircut won’t do him any good.”

“I think it’s wonderful the way your son studies so hard in school. Bless his heart, I know he is doing the best he can.”

Translation:  “Your kid better study hard because he’s dumber than a hoe handle.”

So if I were you Phil, I would start looking for a new girlfriend, as it seems this one has already moved on.  But you shouldn’t have too much trouble finding a new one.  You seem like a kind and intelligent young man, bless your heart.   Spareribs

wildchild

Carolyn

You guys have me LOL-ing at the bless your heart jokes there!

We made it just past the Kansas border today.  The weather was fine - some dark clouds this morning, but then just partly cloudy.   Yes, it is a LONG drive from the east coast to Colorado!  Clicking our heels together would have been great, but how would we have gotten the car full of DD's stuff home?

Leslie, yes, my DH flew home.  He'll drive with DD from Colorado out to Seattle in a month or so when she does the 2nd leg of her trip.

Holly, thank you so much for letting us crash at your place last night, especially on short notice!  And thanks for dinner and breakfast, and the run!  Always  nice to see you again. Can't wait for Vermont!

I hammered down the trail, passing rocks and trees like they were standing still.

Dave59

I left 15 hours ago for a tech conference in the Detroit area and just returned.  I haven't read anything yet except the post right above mine with Ribs and his "bless your heart" stuff.  That was classic advice.

Miranda Lambert has a good song called "Only Prettier" where she uses the phrase too:

"Well I've been saved by the grace of southern charm
                I got a mouth like a sailor and yours is more like a Hallmark card
                If you wanna pick a fight, well I'm gonna have to say good night
                I don't have to be hateful, I can just say bless your heart."

Tech conference was the best I have ever been to of this 1-day type.  Not a single session was a dud or a sleeper.  Speakers were some of the top people in their field, brought it from all around the country.  Food was high class catered stuff.  And I even won a $100 American Express gift card in a drawing at the end of the day.

There just isn't enough training done anymore, at least in my company.  I felt like a man stranded in the desert who came across an oasis and drank himself silly.  And I make it a point to learn a lot on my own.  It just isn't the same.

MTA: Wild snuck in before me so Ribs post isn't right above mine, and apparently, the "bless my heart" appears in more places in the daily.  I will have to go back and read once I have a beer.

Thanks for the recap TwoCat - they really help!!

Wondering about JLynne's sister as well

Laughing at Ribs - how to read between the lines on Texan speak

Busy, fun day --- morning mass, breakfast with a friend, shopping with son #3 and his gf and my mom, visit with my sister and her daughter who graduates from h.s. this weekend, then finally a 3.4 mile run!!

Tomorrow is national running day, but since I am working 12 hour shift have a feeling it will be a walk day for me!!

Sleep well my friends!!

denise

MM#209 / JapanJoyful#803

Mikemp might need to heed those  "bless-your-heart" stories that seem to be the same as effusive use of honorifics in a certain country of his impending relocation.  Kind of like some people writing some people's annual evaluations. No wonder everybody thinks I'm such a good runner in Japan. You too, ribs, bless your heart.

"Enjoy yourself. Your younger days never come again." 100yo T. Igarashi to me in geta at top of Mt. Fuji (8/2/87)

Mariposai

Tech conference was the best I have ever been to of this 1-day type.  Not a single session was a dud or a sleeper.  Speakers were some of the top people in their field, brought it from all around the country.  Food was high class catered stuff.  And I even won a $100 American Express gift card in a drawing at the end of the day.

There just isn't enough training done anymore, at least in my company.  I felt like a man stranded in the desert who came across an oasis and drank himself silly.  And I make it a point to learn a lot on my own.  It just isn't the same.

Congrats!!! It must feel good to be in your position... not enough training done to help you. I always feel like I am a mile away from the top way of doing my job.

4 miles with the slowest runner in my newly started running group. At 14' mile pace we had a blast.

"Champions are everywhereall you need is to train them properly..." ~Arthur Lydiard

SteveP

Glad you're getting a physical Jay. We want to keep you around for a while.

Enke, I have a half coming up in August. I'm looking forward to the fellowship as much as the trails.

I'm thinking SteveP is exactly the type of person I'd love to have help me out in a hardware store.  Would definitely make the visit more interesting!

The most important thing to remember is not to mix paint for a guy unless he has a note giving him permission to pick a color.

(((((Goofy)))))

Dave59, can you use your card on race fees???

SteveP

Marathon Maniac #957

Anyone want to do the relay in VT? I could just sign up for the 50k and hope for the best.... but that may not be prudent...

Deez4boys brought that up as well, but I don't know what is available re: relay options.

Life is a headlong rush into the unknown. We can hunker down and hope nothing hits us or we can stand tall, lean into the wind and say, "Bring it on, darlin', and don't be stingy with the jalapenos."