Masters Running

Dec. 28 Bewildering Runs and such ... (Read 414 times)

Henrun

Great runs everyone. Yesterday was our family Hannukah party and Marj cooked up a storm including wonderful potato latkes. Everyone made it except for my son and his G.F. Their car broke down on their way up from Brooklyn. They had to rent a car and by the time they got here all had left. Regardless, we all had a good time and they stayed over. We spent the morning eating (once again) and talking. By the time they left at noon we were ready for a long run. We hit Heartbreak Hill in the warm, gusty weather planning to do 10. Marj, per usual, was a mile ahead and we both felt sproinky (at least I did-she was too tired from being the hostess with the mostest) so we did an extra 2 miles (12 for me and 13 for Marj). Marj's daughter and 3 grandkids
    wildchild

Carolyn

dg, way to show those young 'uns at the track! Nice 10 miler. You, too, Dan, congrats on the 10 mile run! I also ran 10 miles today, to make it over 30 for the week and 1400 for the year. I took the dogs for the first 4 miles, then back out for another 6. Slow 12mm pace in snow and wind, but at least it wasn't too cold (33F). I wonder how much yaktrax affect pace? They add a little weight to the feet, but probably the thing that slows me down more is the places with deep or mushy snow. It's supposed to be in the high 50's tomorrow in Denver - I'm actually kinda looking forward to going back to work so I can run in shorts! Wink

I hammered down the trail, passing rocks and trees like they were standing still.

Franc59

Half Fanatic #36

First run today since the 23rd!!! Still lots of snow on part of the trail but at least we are back to normal kind of weather for the PNW. 8.5 miles, very slow. Hopefully all the snow will melt by Thursday for the first marathon of the new year!!! Great Sunday evening to all!!! Francesca
        Mariposai

Great to hear that the Seattlelites are starting to have "normal" weather. It was 28F today, but I opted for the treadmill. 8 @ 11:00. It felt so good. Adding up my miles I came to realize that as of today I am only 17 miles from 1900 miles for the year. I think I can, I think I can.

"Champions are everywhereall you need is to train them properly..." ~Arthur Lydiard

Teresadfp

One day at a time

HOLLY - yes, DH is worse than the kids when he's sick! Once he got sick when we were in Cancun with three little kids. I'm trying to keep the vacation from falling apart, and he's complaining that I'm not taking good enough care of him! Shocked I just bit my tongue and left the room quickly. I'm glad you bought a new pillow! When DD threw up on Christmas Eve, I assumed she'd made it to the toilet, because she usually does at her age. But she didn't. 24 HOURS LATER, I discovered it was on the new carpet in her bedroom. She'd done her best to clean it up, but it was too late - even good carpet cleaner didn't get it up. Sigh. I guess I'll have it professionally cleaned.
            evanflein

Teresa, even that might not work. My son threw up on our bedroom carpet (its an ivory color) after having some of the kids' Tylenol when he was 5 or 6... there's still a faint pink spot after many attempts to clean it. 4.2 miles outside on the hilly roads by my house, -25F temps. Noticeably colder here at this elevation than yesterday. (The temperature at the airport now at 5:30 pm is -38F) I came inside, peeled off my outside stuff and hopped on my treadmill for another 90 minutes and 10.8 miles, for a total of 15 for the day.
              evanflein

Felt like Spring here in Rapid City! Sunny, calm and 48 degrees. A week ago it topped out at 3 or so. I know, I know, we were just looking at Erika's post from Anchorage so even last week was very doable. But today was glorious -- and I did my first 10 miler in a very long time, and certainly the longest I've run since my surgery. Was glad to read Sparerib's report of 8 miles: congrats, Ribs! My Amy was with me the whole time; she's still afraid I'm going to conk out again or something, but I'm feeling good.
                Dan, I think you'll have a hard time shaking her for quite some time! Wink Oh, and I'm in Fairbanks. Anchorage is like the banana belt compared to us up here! Holly, yes, definitely. You'd think we were all supposed to stop the world and cater non-stop to the ill spouse, right? Nancy, yes, I think you can! There's three days left to the year, believe me I'm counting them!
                stumpy77

Trails are hard!

Hope everyone had a good Sunday. Back to work for a few days for me, then another long weekend. Out this morning for 3.2 slow miles in 32 minutes. I really wanted more, but I've had something going on that's elevated my RHR and aggravated my atrial flutter that shows up from time to time. Haven't figured out what yet, since I have no other symptoms and generally feel fine Confused Seems to be a lot better for most of the day, so I hope I can fit in another 5 miles at least before the end of the month. At least I got to do it in shorts and a light long sleeve shirt. 48F when I left the house. Very impressive run for Erika today. I spent a couple of days outside in -20F in Idaho this past January, but I did it with insulated coveralls, hand and foot warmers and a lot more other clothes. Not exactly running clothes Wink Roy -- I'm surprised no one swung at the softball you tossed this morning
                  Tim, reading your post, woody springs to mind for some reason, I know it's hard not running Smile Roy
                  I know there's several wise cracks in there somewhere. Walt--that sounds pretty impressive for two days in a row. WTG. Bill -- Nice "easy" half. Ssure wish I didn't feel like running like that!

Need a fast half for late fall.  Then I need to actually train for it.

Mariposai

Got that Half coming up in a month down in Tallahassee, you see. Oh -- and the Vikings won. A good day all around!-- Dan
                    don't forget the Seattle Rock and Roll... don't worry my butterfly wings can be all around you if your gorgeous Amy want to go faster. This post made me so happy.!!!!!!!!!!! Time to celebrate!! wondering if SRLopez ever left his den today. I love that 10,000$ dog....she sure knows what she is worth. Wink

"Champions are everywhereall you need is to train them properly..." ~Arthur Lydiard

But today was glorious -- and I did my first 10 miler in a very long time, and certainly the longest I've run since my surgery. ... My Amy was with me the whole time...
                      Glorious indeed. WTG Dan!

MM#209 / JapanJoyful#803

I missed a day somewhere but am glad it wasn`t the 28th which turned out to be a hughiest of PR`s in the taper/nonrunning category. 4,769 miles in 10 hours (7.5sec/mile pace = 3min/42sec mary) on last minute business cum pleasure trip from Seattle-to-Tokyo. Would have taken 52da/21hr/36min running nonstop at my ultramary pace and 6mo/10da/12hr if swimming. Gal in the next seat said, "sure, if no sharks." Turned out she does some of the cancer survivor events in Seattle and kind of reminded me of a goddess version of taper tim (divorced too) as, after getting snowed out of Christmas shopping, she donated all of what she figured she didn`t spend on presents to charity too. intermittent internet access at best for a while but hope to start the New Year joining thousands of other Tokyo runners on their annual first-runs-of-the-year around the 5K circuit of the Imperial Palace I used to love so much when living here. Shinnen Omedetou Gozaimasu.

"Enjoy yourself. Your younger days never come again." 100yo T. Igarashi to me in geta at top of Mt. Fuji (8/2/87)

Franc59

Half Fanatic #36

Jon, Do an extra lap around the Imperial Palace for me too, since I never got to do it when we were there!!! I've decided to go for the marathon on 1/1, I'll run it for you too!!!! Francesca