Masters Running

Wednesday, Nov. 19 Runs (Read 707 times)

TammyinGP

Leslie - the running store in Ashland is real big on trail running events. The owner there is Hal Koerner, who is quite the running celebrity in his own right. On my blog - in the left hand column - is a list of some other blogs I follow. Click on the one for Rogue Valley Runners - that's their store blog and if/when they have upcoming trail races they keep them updated there. There were just a couple of fairly big trail races in the Ashland area I think. I'm not sure if there is anything else coming up or not, but that would be a good blog to bookmark and check in with periodically.

Tammy

TammyinGP

If anyone gets Ultra Running magazine, I think it's this months issue that has Hal Koerner on the front cover.

Tammy

I must be the only resident HUMBUGH! My poor DW had to guilt me into helping her decorate the tree last year. Since the kids are all grown she says its not the same doing it alone. Cry That worked last year but since we will be in Oklahoma for Christmas this year I am pushing for the table top variety. Undecided 3 slow miles in 28 minutes in 29 degrees. I hope to start raamping up the miles by the weekend. I am just trrying to ease back in right now. Larry

Chumbawamba: I get knocked down But I get up again You're never going to keep me down

Tammy, nice pictures. Thanks for posting them and your adventures on your blog. I love looking at race photos!! Thanks again.
          Quit being so damn serious! When we change the way we look at things, the things we look at change. "Ya just gotta let it go." OM
          TammyinGP

Thanks evryday - and if you like looking at video's, you need to scroll down and watch the video I posted of my son scoring a touchdown. A proud mommy moment. It was one of the 10 or so touchdowns he scored during the 8 game season Big grin

Tammy

evanflein

Another day, another 40 minute ride on the elliptical. Now I get to spend the rest of my afternoon all sweaty cuz the "express" club I'm using has no showers. They used to have towels, but apparently they're too cheap for even that little nicety. Lovely. Twocat, I sympathize. I'm feeling much better (but as I've said, not BETTER) and would like to try a run... but I'm torn with thinking that a few more days might do a lot of good, and starting up too soon will just be another setback. Or it could be ok... but don't want to take the chance...! Arrgghhh! Driving myself crazy. So, I'll probably keep the gym-rat routine up for a few more days, and try an easy run on the TM this weekend. That's just a couple days away, right? Sunday would be three weeks exactly since NYC.
              Mariposai

twocats, sorry to hear about your new discovery. I have dealt with bursites on and off since my Eugene marathon two years ago (14 hours in the car back and forth and hours of sitting at my desk before and after the marathon was the cause of mine). If bursitis is the problem, I can give you a few pointers, but first you may need to give me a few more information on your symptoms. If you like, you can email me in my private email to continue this topic. For those who are interested in the topic, there are two major bursae of the hip, inflammation of which can both be associated with stiffness and pain around the hip joint. The trochanteric bursa is located on the side of the hip. It is separated significantly from the actual hip joint by tissue and bone. Trochanteric bursitis frequently causes tenderness of the outer hip, making it difficult for patients to lie on the involved side, frequently making sleep difficult. It also causes a dull, burning pain on the outer hip that is often made worse with excessive walking or stair climbing. The ischial bursa is located in the upper buttock area. Ischial bursitis can cause dull pain in this area that is most noticeable when climbing uphill. The pain sometimes occurs after prolonged sitting on hard surfaces, hence the names "weaver's bottom" and "tailor's bottom." Bursitis of the hip is the most common cause of hip pain. Ischial bursa is what I have. Stubborn thingie, but manageable. I went to the track for a quick spin. 7 miles this lovely autumn afternoon. 2 miles easy to the track, then 1x800 @ 4:06 with one minute jog; 1x800 @ 4:05 with one minute jog; 1x800@4:05. 1.5m easy around the track and then 2 miles easy back home. Got a letter in the mail today from my state congressional representative in DC saying...thanks for all you in the community...you are kul . I guess her assistant is reading the local paper jij. The neat thing is that she hand wrote a personal not and signed it too. Off to do some teaching...then I have some pictures I wanna post.

"Champions are everywhereall you need is to train them properly..." ~Arthur Lydiard

200 pushups, 200 situps, 30 leg curls, 30 arm curls, 30 lat pulldowns, 30 squats, 50 wrist curls. Dark Horse
                  I'm a dark horse, running on a dark race course.

MM#209 / JapanJoyful#803

twocat - thanks for checking back in. Poor timmy's starting to have a hard time, even fantasies on the treadmill. That's too bad about mary though, I thought she'd get better once out of the nonrun club, especially since none of the rest of us stay goofy once we're out.
                    You have now confirmed Tim-Bo's suspicion that I AM goofy!! Oye!!
                    Since I can't keep up to them anymore, I hope running again starting next week doesn't ruin all the nonrun dreamin' I've been able to do about the goddesses almost like it's true.<>evanika/posalina)>>> ps twocat - I'd never admit it to tim but there's a big difference between taperin' because of wantin' too like me vs. havin' to 'cause of some stupid injury, medical or other reason beyond control. Any chance of an experimental bursa transplant from hip to shoulder (or maybe to tim to help stifle his urges). ps mary - Denali is Alaska that's for sure but there's some good stops along the way too. just ask John Bingham .

"Enjoy yourself. Your younger days never come again." 100yo T. Igarashi to me in geta at top of Mt. Fuji (8/2/87)

dg.

Twocat, in "Listen to Your Pain" it says that if it's trochanter bursitis the only effective treatment known is a corticosteroid injection into the bursa. I wasn't a fan of that kind of thing but this book has convinced me that there are times it's a good thing. (injections. not bursitis. Roll eyes ). yay your hamstrings are feeling better, but be careful! I know you know that. Sometimes we need reminders. They are notorious for healing slowly. Just ask mine. my dh just came home with a spicy mediterranean pizza. he definitely earned it. a very long day for him... but omg. I need someone to give me a healthy mental outlook here. Anyone else that's trying to 'watch it' ever resent it that we can't have things like that? Can't is the wrong word. It's my choice. but it still makes me mad. Not sure who to be mad at. one more rolleyes. 1 hr. of assorted things this morning.... mainly prehab & some new exercises a trainer at the gym showed me.

Marathon Maniac #3309

(This is not always as idyllic
                        Ok, is that a real word...off to look that one up...idyllic??? TimBo not so smart...maybe..

Running has given me the courage to start, the determination to keep trying, and the childlike spirit to have fun along the way - Run often and run long, but never outrun your Joy of running!

Marathon Maniac #3309

I just beneath the breastplate.
                          Geez Mary...your kill'n me here GF... Tim

Running has given me the courage to start, the determination to keep trying, and the childlike spirit to have fun along the way - Run often and run long, but never outrun your Joy of running!

arf

MM #405

ARF! - are you and Chuck okay?
                            Chuck is fine....but I am a hurtin' unit, my ribs are crunched up . I had a very bad crash as I tried to ride my bike home from work one night after a snowstorm, rounded a corner too fast and slipped on some ice. Why am I riding my bike in the winter? Well, the GOOD news is my daughter is back from Germany! Big grin The BAD news is she needs to use MY car Angry so I thought, no problem...I'll just bike to and from work, which was fine until the snow fell and messed up the roads Sad Sad Sad arf
                            evanflein

{{{Arf}}} Take care of yourself! Hope it's nothing really serious... are you taped up? DH broke a rib when he got hit by a baseball pitch (wonderful bruise, too!) and doc said just take it easy, it'll heal on its own. Same for yours?
                              arf

MM #405

{{{Arf}}} Take care of yourself! Hope it's nothing really serious... are you taped up? DH broke a rib when he got hit by a baseball pitch (wonderful bruise, too!) and doc said just take it easy, it'll heal on its own. Same for yours?
                                Hi Erika, I'm not taped up, my doctor said they don't do that anymore because they want to encourage deep, (though painful) breathing so as to prevent pnumonia from developing. Just taking truck loads of Extra-strength Advil Dead