Masters Running

Flying Pig Marathon, 2 weeks after Boston? (Read 545 times)

Marathon Maniac #957

I know, I know, here I go again, but here’s the deal. Last May I ran the Flying Pig HM with my friend Scott and his niece (their first HM). This year, partly inspired by that recent PBS special, they want to run the full marathon, using the Hal Higden plan. They have no time goals, only to finish the distance upright. I would love to share this experience with them, but the Pig is May 4 – 2 weeks after Boston. On the one hand, I know this is possibly an injury-prone time, and that’s assuming I make it through Boston without hurting myself. On the other hand, the Pig would be done at a slow pace, possibly/likely walking parts of it. And if I can do four 20-milers and a 26.2-miler, 2 weeks apart, what’s one more added to the chain? Why waste all that good training? Would you do it? Of course, as I’m thinking about this, I’m also thinking that if I also ran/walked the Dayton marathon on March 30, I would qualify to be a Marathon Maniac. This running stuff is addicting…

Life is a headlong rush into the unknown. We can hunker down and hope nothing hits us or we can stand tall, lean into the wind and say, "Bring it on, darlin', and don't be stingy with the jalapenos."

GreenMan

... Would you do it? ....... This running stuff is addicting…
      If I we're capable, maybe. You're capable. But I would be thinking add about 1:30-2:00m/m to your BQ pace for the first two and run how you felt for the Pig. Yep, its addicting, but I was on the recovery wagon today - probably fall off Tuesday. jjj
      Iron Mt. Trail Runners blogsite .... JJJessee blogsite ....Spring is here. Go outside and play.
        Well...Holly...it really depends.....partly on your training base....the effort level at Boston....your ability to recover..and so on... Last year after Boston I was considering running OKC 2 weeks later....I wanted to run the OKC marathon with a good friend who was running his first but my recovery stunk...and I didn't want to hinder my friends race..So the plan was for me to run the 1/2 at an easy pace, then meet my friend at the 22 mile mark and run the rest of the way with my buddy. It also would give me a chance to encourage some of my other friends as the passed the 22 mile mark. I was even able to run a mile with a another friend who was running at a PR pace. It was very exciting. Even though I did not run the marathon I had a great time helping my friends....I would do it all over again.. So, if I were in your shoes, I would keep it in the back of my mind, then wait and see....and if the full marathon does not work out...try my "friend helping" strategy. Good luck.
          Holly, Holly, Holly. Roll eyes Listen to Tim ... Bill

"Some are the strong, silent type. You can't put your finger on exactly what it is they bring to the table until you run without them and then you realize that their steadiness fills a hole that leaks energy in their absence." - Kristin Armstrong

wildchild

Carolyn

They call them "maniacs" for a reason... Roll eyes

I hammered down the trail, passing rocks and trees like they were standing still.

Coach Jeanne

Speculum Wrangler

I'll be following this thread to hear the collective wisdom... In September, my sister and I registered to run Big Sur (to enjoy the scenery, take pictures, meet the grand-piano player, etc). We never intended to "race it," just to finish before the 6hr cut-off. Then the little speed demon went and BQ'd in Columbus. So now her plan is to "run easy" in Boston, then do Big Sur with me the following week. Even crazier than Holly, huh? So, oh Wise Masters and Marathon Maniacs... do I have a chance of having a running buddy for my marathon, or should I just count on seeing her cheer me on at the finish line?

Jeanne

evanflein

Would you do it?
                I'm stayin' out of this...
                  So, oh Wise Masters and Marathon Maniacs... do I have a chance of having a running buddy for my marathon, or should I just count on seeing her cheer me on at the finish line?
                  Well, Boston is not an easy.....it is downhill until it is too late...in other words it is easy to burnout before the Newton Hills....if run easy, it can still result in sore quads.... Again...it just depends...but it is still neat to have a BIG cheering section...

MM#209 / JapanJoyful#803

YES, YES, YES - DO IT, DO IT, DO IT, . . . .

"Enjoy yourself. Your younger days never come again." 100yo T. Igarashi to me in geta at top of Mt. Fuji (8/2/87)

MM#209 / JapanJoyful#803

. . . . . . because you're doin' it for the right reasons this time havin' fun with your friends stepping up from last year's half and there's no way two weeks after Boston the competitiver runner you are would throw caution to the wind and try to beat other runners you see getting ahead of you or get carried away for a new PR and end up with a serious injury. Do it and have fun - I dare you! Big grin ps - see you in the 40/40 sometime next summer. thanks.

"Enjoy yourself. Your younger days never come again." 100yo T. Igarashi to me in geta at top of Mt. Fuji (8/2/87)

Marathon Maniac #957

. . . Do it and have fun - I dare you! Big grin
                        Well, I can't back away from a dare... Smile I'll go ahead and sign up. Like Tim said, if I can't run the whole thing, I could always wait for them at miile 22 and cheer them on.

Life is a headlong rush into the unknown. We can hunker down and hope nothing hits us or we can stand tall, lean into the wind and say, "Bring it on, darlin', and don't be stingy with the jalapenos."

Go for it ,girl! Two years ago, my marathon training buddy (20 Boston Marathons) did Paris and then did Boston eight days later. At the time, I thought he was nuts, but he survived and you will too. You are sufficiently driven, and have the mileage base. Just promise to listen to your body, and give it up if you have to. Fran

Imminent Catastrophe

Seems like you could do it, based on your training, BUT... I would do the first race very easy, then you can run the second one harder. So that's Dayton very easy and Boston harder, or Boston very easy and Pig harder. I wouldn't run a hard race then an easy one, unless you're used to that kind of regimen. Good luck! Maniac #191

"Able to function despite imminent catastrophe"

"To obtain the air that angels breathe you must come to Tahoe"--Mark Twain

"The most common question from potential entrants is 'I do not know if I can do this' to which I usually answer, 'that's the whole point'.--Paul Charteris, Tarawera Ultramarathon RD.

√ Javelina Jundred Jalloween 2015

Cruel Jewel 50 mile May 2016

Western States 100 June 2016

dg.

Holly, was it Scott that was going to have to stop because of his knee?

Marathon Maniac #957

Yes, he had knee surgery some years ago because of a bad car accident, and he thought the HM might be the last race he did, just a big goal he wanted to achieve. Now he has caught the bug, and he and his niece want to see if they can complete a full marathon. Like I said, he saw that marathon program on PBS and was inspired to give it a try. Like the first race, he thinks this will be the one and only marathon, just another mountain to climb and then put behind him.