Masters Running

Tuesday's Daily, 9.4.12 (Read 407 times)

coastwalker

Mornin' all.

Excellent running by OM ant Wildchild over the weekend - congrats to both on your PRs! Congrats also to Steve and AD; thanks for the great photos and 'running' commentary. I like the photo of AD's lunge at the start. Glad AD finally got his ice cream.

I completed my 'tri' yesterday by mowing the lawn after my long workout, and then finishing off the afternoon with a great kayak excursion in the salt marsh with DW. We had to work a bit to get ourselves in, but then could just relax and ride the tides back out. Nice.

I almost talked myself out of a workout this morning, but overcame that and was out the door by 4:10. 5.3 racewalking miles in what felt like a cool 60F with a bit of a breeze. A little more than half of the moon was shining down from high in the sky when i started, and lighting the way for me quite nicely. But by mile 3, fingers of clouds were pulling a light blanket under the moon and stars and hiding them from view - just the beginning of a thickening cloud cover preceding the rain (remnants of Issac) that we'll be getting later today and tonight.

Enjoy the short week, and all that "back to school" may mean to you.

Jay

Without ice cream there would be darkness and chaos.

Tselbs glad you're running feels better after the change in Meds.  You deserve it.

OM nice HM.  Congrats on the sub-2.  The last 2 miles are always hard.

WildChild nice Marathon!

MikeE some day you're going to have to learn to enjoy running with your sons.

RhoonFast (love that name!) what great pictures.  Love Alaska.

DW and I are going to Barcelona for a quick trip in a few weeks.  I have forgotten all my High School spanish, even though I live in bi-lingual South Florida.  I'm a bit nervous about the language.  Don't want to come across as an Ugly American.  I wish Mariposai could go with us!

A pretty good weekend of workouts for me.  Friday night after work, I was finally able to drag myself make it to the pool. Felt sorta like the newbie I am but got it done.  1250 mostly okay yards.

Then on Saturday morning I was planning on 9 miles at least; the idea being to get to about 4 or 5 and assess how I felt. Everything seemed okay so I went for more miles.  Ended up with 11.2 H&H miles - with most in the second half at sub-9 pace. Those 11 miles felt sorta like 15 used to but with the limited mileage I've been running I'll take it.  Probably ran a bit too much in HR Zone 3 and 4 but it was hot out there!

I was low on energy all day after that.  I took something like 4 little naps at different times.  And to think 18 miles used to be routine.

Later on Saturday, I checked the last two Bike tubes that had gone flat and found that they went flat at the same spot.  So I marked the Tire carefully and found a puncture that had gone all the way through.  TimBo was right.  So ... I tossed the tire and bought a new one.

Being off for the Holiday on Monday, it was great to be able to sleep in a little and still be able to Bike early.  And the Sun was up! How nice was that to be able to see.  A good 25 mile ride at what felt like a nice pace.  It felt great to be able to finish a bike workout without a flat.  I rode confidently on the new Tire.  This was supposed to be an Endurance Ride, but I may have ridden too hard. The majority of the ride was in Zones 3 and 4. Still, it has to be good that I can ride 25 at that pace with no perceived "pushing it" really.

Then 6 miles this morning.  I had thoughts of tempo repeats, but the legs felt tired today so I just ran this one easy, almost all of it in Zone 1.  Geez, I hate being so out of shape.  It's so much easier staying in condition than getting in condition.

Bill

"Some are the strong, silent type. You can't put your finger on exactly what it is they bring to the table until you run without them and then you realize that their steadiness fills a hole that leaks energy in their absence." - Kristin Armstrong

...jay//..........you are a Mass of Willpower............

.....burger//.........out of shape to you would be In Shape for most of the country

==========

.28min poolrun

locked out of main door to Y

(again)

they let us in SideDoor

and then

forgot to tell us it locked itself behind you

DOY!!!!!!!!!

....................good running guys...............still wondering if thoses LefeGuard know how to swim.........

..nothing takes the place of persistence.....

locked out of main door to Y

(again)

It must be contagious today. Since I ran yesterday and it was really hot and muggy at 4:30 this morning, i decided to go to the Y for some cross training. The woman who usually opens at 5:00 AM did not get there until 5:15! When you have to be to work for 7 and your time is limited to begin with, it really makes me unhappy when I lose 15 valuable minutes to work out. And this is the second time this has happened in less than a week Angry  5 miles on the eliptical was all I had time for so I'll have to go back for weights and stuff later.

Bill - you? Out of condition? Hardly. Gotta agree with Tom on that one.

Hey Carolyn - you rock! A cool finishing medal and PR. And a very busy fall schedule I see.

Loved the pictures of AD eating ice cream and lunging to the start line. You looked great too, Steve.

Our fantasy football draft is tonight. I hope I get some good players!

King of PhotoShop

Big news going on again here I see. OM has a great race, as does the Wild One.  Very proud of you two athletes.

And Breger buys a tire!  I always get so excited when I see him spending money.

Rhoon, those pictures were a true delight.  Thank you.

Too tired to post yesterday, seriously.  I ran that $#%#@#  Ft. Worth 15K in the blazing sun and it just took everything out of me.  But it was worth it to go out to Ft. Worth and connect with those fine runners out there.  The write-up is here:

http://runningblog.dallasnews.com/2012/09/elizabeth-mendiola-top-race-director-makes-it-look-easy.html/

Long story short, I had no legs at all, could barely run 9 minutes a mile and finished in 1:24:51, my worst 15K ever. Perhaps it was the H&H, or that there was no shade, or that I had run 66 miles the previous week, or a bit of all of it.  But I finished  2nd in AG so I guess everyone else found it tough.  But the post-race party and conversation was superb and I was glad I went.

What 8 word song title was a number one hit for Brian Hyland in 1960?  Spareribs

wildchild

Carolyn

I'm very happy I don't have a job where I have to be somewhere promptly with people waiting for me to open doors or anything.  Joking   Odd that both Jeanne and Tomwhite had the same problem at the Y this morning.

Troy - great pictures, and you have a nice looking copilot!  Your kids probably live a very different life than most teenagers.

My legs are toast after the marathon yesterday so I jogged/walked an easy 2 miles this morning.  Beautiful, cool, and breezy, and I stopped to pick some wildflowers on the trail.  I even found a nice blue bottle to put them in.

I hammered down the trail, passing rocks and trees like they were standing still.

Dave59

No problem getting into my gym.  Of course, I got there around 7:00 which gave them 2 hours to get there and open it.  Just a little on the elliptical and a little with the weights.

I did a 20 minute "hill interval" program on the elliptical and it was a killer after yesterday's 5k.  I find the "distance" on the elliptical very strange.  After 20 minutes I had gone 0.82 miles (unless I read it wrong.)  How anyone can get to 5 miles (Jlynne) on the elliptical is beyond my comprehension.  It would be like running a marathon.

(((locked-out gymrats everywhere)))

I walked briskly to work; too sore to run.  Nice crisp morning!

MM#209 / JapanJoyful#803

Nice flower picture carolyn. Be sure to bring your camera when you get to come out to the PNW sometime. We'll make sure you get a full bottle too. However, maybe some photos of the marathon with the such great name and picturesque medal too.

Saturday’s annual labor day half mary with my now 81-yo IM mentor worked out at exactly the 2:30 I was hoping might still be possible. In the meantime, he forged ahead for a 2:12. Oddly enough, though he runs at least one marathon a year in his annual IM’s since 1985, he’s never run more than 13.1 miles in any of his training runs over the years. However, having experienced some of them in those days, they include very intense, and frequent, fartleks along the way.

I ran with his GF for a while until the 43rd straight day of sunshine in Seatle started to slow her down.  A former national AG duathlon champion who represented the US in Australia, etc. she hasn’t run a marathon (or more than 13.1 miles either) in more than 20 years but signed up for the fall version of the Light-at-the-end-of-the-Tunnel Marathon on 9/16. A former ski racer too, she’s always been in good enough shape to run and bike or do pretty much anything physical she wanted to too. However, though different for everyone, I warned her that Father Time does start making a difference eventually, . . . if not sooner.

ps rhoon - get outside and run you whimp. You live in Alaska.

"Enjoy yourself. Your younger days never come again." 100yo T. Igarashi to me in geta at top of Mt. Fuji (8/2/87)

#artbydmcbride

Itsy Bitsy Teeny Weeny Yellow Polka Dot Bikini

I am one of the only ones here young to enough to remember this song when it first played......and to wear a bikini then too.   Cool

Runners run

MM#209 / JapanJoyful#803

I am one of the only ones here young to enough to remember this song when it first played......and to wear a bikini then too.   Cool

you'd have to have photos to prove that.

"Enjoy yourself. Your younger days never come again." 100yo T. Igarashi to me in geta at top of Mt. Fuji (8/2/87)

Marathon Maniac #957

...jay//..........you are a Mass of Willpower............

.....burger//.........out of shape to you would be In Shape for most of the country

I agree to both of these!

Inspired by Wildchild and Orange Mat, I think I may sign up for the Crazy Turkey Marathon, scheduled for 2 weeks before the Flying Monkey.  The website says:

• 5 Mile loop x 5 with prologue.
                          • Landsides!  Ravines!
                          • Awesome trails.
                          • 1000+ ft of climb per loop.

Sounds like a great training run for the Monkey, and only $25 - what's not to like?

No run for me today, just 30 minutes or so of weights and core.

I'm heading directly to DS' soccer game after work, and then staying to work the ticket booth for the varsity game after - parent/vounteer duty.  Glad I brought an extra snack.

Life is a headlong rush into the unknown. We can hunker down and hope nothing hits us or we can stand tall, lean into the wind and say, "Bring it on, darlin', and don't be stingy with the jalapenos."

OrangeMat

MM #6177

Inspired by Wildchild and Orange Mat, I think I may sign up for the Crazy Turkey Marathon, scheduled for 2 weeks before the Flying Monkey.  The website says:

• Landmines!  Ravines!
                            • Awesome trails.

Oops, I think I read that wrong....

I remember that Itsy Bitsy Teeny Weeny song too, but wouldn't have known that was the answer. Maybe Emily Litella would've known better....

Slo

I was just getting my running back on Track. Now I'm licking a few wounds.

Crashed my bike on my daily commute to work. Long Story but the black cat did not fully make it across my path...almost, but not quite. It was more of a tie. Road rash and bruises.

I did something to my hip. It's damn tender outside and pulled something on my inner thigh. When I run I'm fine for about four miles. Then it suddenly tightens right up.

I'll give it a day or two and see what happens.

wildchild

Carolyn

I agree to both of these!

• Landsides!  Ravines!
                                • Awesome trails.

Sounds like a great training run for the Monkey, and only $25 - what's not to like?

Wow - that sounds tougher than the one I'm doing 2 weeks before Monkey!  Here's the elevation profile for the Moab Trail marathon.  The interesting part of the written description is this part:

"50 meters into the canyon, head up and out of the canyon onto a shelf using a ladder and rope."

I hammered down the trail, passing rocks and trees like they were standing still.