Masters Running

Thursday's Daily from right here - 2.27.14 (Read 44 times)

Mike E

MM #5615

Hello everybody!

Yes, it is very hard not to run.  I am determined to take two complete weeks off...even though I'm sitting at a .2 at the end of my miles for the month.  It's driving me nuts.

I went out with 3 friends from my old work place from a couple years ago.  It's been just over two years that our company went out of business and I hadn't seen them since then.  I didn't realize how much I missed them until I saw them, again.  It was kind of sad...I thought they were all really happy with their new jobs...it turns out, they are just as miserable as I am.  We had it so good.  Oh well...we move on...because we really don't have any other choice.

Wow--how depressing!  Sorry!

On a much happier note...I'm trying to decide what marathon I should do next.  I don't really feel like I can take any more time off from work, so I think I might take advantage of the 3 day Memorial Day weekend and drive out to Buffalo NY and do the Buffalo Marathon on May 25th.  I see that IBUB is signed up for it already so that would be cool to meet him, too.  And, being the numismatist that I am, I like the finisher's medal.  So...anybody have any experience with Buffalo?  Of course, that would mean I would be giving up my dream of doing NYC...but...I think I've decided that NYC is just too big...and expensive.

Okay--I guess that's all I got.  Boy...that treadmill is looking pretty lonely over there...would .8 miles kill me?

SubDood

Mike -- I lived in Rochester, NY and went to school in Buffalo before coming back to MN. Niagara Falls is close to Buffalo, if you haven't seen it before. I don't know about the Buffalo marathon, but there is a trail marathon the same weekend at Letchworth State Park, 2.5-3 hours east/southeast of Buffalo. It's called the Sehgahunda Trail Marathon, and it's on my list. The pictures I've seen look spectacular.

0.8 miles won't hurt anything. And 113 is a prime number.

MM#209 / JapanJoyful#803

Wow--how depressing!  Sorry! 

That's why we run while we can

What's this deal about not running when you can.

You like being depressed?  oh well

being the numismatist that I am, I like the finisher's medal.

wanna hundred or so.

However, no overalls like you.

congratulations again.

"Enjoy yourself. Your younger days never come again." 100yo T. Igarashi to me in geta at top of Mt. Fuji (8/2/87)

wildchild

Carolyn

0.8 miles won't hurt anything. And 113 is a prime number.

Do it, Mike! You'll get an award!

That trail race in Letchworth State Park looks nice - and I'll be in NY state that weekend, too!  My DD is graduating from Cornell on the 25th.  But it looks like a 2 hr drive each way to the race,. plus the time needed to run - they might notice I was gone.

I hammered down the trail, passing rocks and trees like they were standing still.

On a much happier note...I'm trying to decide what marathon I should do next.  I don't really feel like I can take any more time off from work, so I think I might take advantage of the 3 day Memorial Day weekend and drive out to Buffalo NY and do the Buffalo Marathon on May 25th.  

I ran the Buffalo half-marathon a few years ago and I really liked it. Start and finish right in town and the course goes out by the Lake and the parkway----pretty flat and a decent sized field, but not too big at all. I thought it was well organized and I won $250 for winning my age group, so you'd likely be in the money. Supergranny's late sister lived in Buffalo so it was a family and running trip. I am also an Upstate NYer and partial to races in Buffalo---Rochester---Syracuse. Enjoy!  I'll be running a half-marathon in Scotland on May 25 and then just a few days later the kiddo graduates from high school. Big doings!

Running stuff.....big mileage weeks right now as I'll hit the low 80s. roar.  Ran 9.8 miles today (2 miles easy for wu then 3 x1 mile progression style: 7:20, 7:28, 6:49 easy 1 mile and next set of three at 7:14, 7:21, 6:51 and then almost a mile back home for cd). Windy today and had to lean at times. sub zero here we go again. Too cold to complain anymore.

Speaking of the 80s, has anyone seen the flight safety video on Delta airlines? I actually watched and laughed out loud a few times. Clever and captured this target audience member's attention!

Dave59

Mike - If you sign up for Buffalo, make sure you post that. I'll sign up for the half and see if I can finish before you in the full. I was born in Buffalo and grew up a few miles north of the city. I've got that race on my to do list.

Mike E

MM #5615

Okay--I succumbed to peer pressure--I ran .8 miles.  It was the award that got me.

Thanks for the suggestion, SubDood...but I think I'm leaning towards Buffalo.  We are going to have meet for a run sometime!

Dave--that would be really cool if you did the half.

Speaking of the 80s, has anyone seen the flight safety video on Delta airlines? I actually watched and laughed out loud a few times. Clever and captured this target audience member's attention!

Yes!  On my flight down to Florida.  It was hilarious.  And everybody actually paid attention...like I always do...I even count the seats to the nearest exit...keeping in mind that the nearest exit might be behind me...

Okay--it's way past my bedtime, now.

Maniac 505

And, being the numismatist that I am, I like the finisher's medal.  So...anybody have any experience with Buffalo? 

Mike: sorry your work place isn't happier.  hang in there.

Actually,  that would be Exonumismatics 

Mike E

MM #5615

The medals have the design of the Buffalo Nickel...one of my favorite coins.

Mariposai

The medals have the design of the Buffalo Nickel...one of my favorite coins.

And where is the picture?

Great day at work...job fair was the best yet...many people hired on the spot...happy worker here and happier yet with the few minutes of escape I was able to get here and there during the 8 hour event. Yeap...and the wind was blowing.

7 miles up Kermel grade today to celebrate. Cold weather, strong wind, missed sunshine smiles.

"Champions are everywhereall you need is to train them properly..." ~Arthur Lydiard

Had a nice short, easy run with Paul late this afternoon.

This other bit fits right in with your post, Mike E. & you too, Mariposai about jobs.  If you remember my post Monday about my job as an Adjunct Prof., you'll appreciate it even more.  My fortune cookie today said, "You are soon going to change your present line of work."

mta-Happy belated birthday, Twocat!

"I didn’t run a race until I was 41 and that was a marathon! Let that sink in for a minute." -me

TammyinGP

4.6 easy miles for me this evening. and that's probably it for the month but I made it over 50 miles (56.7) so I'm good with that!

Tammy

Mariposai

This other bit fits right in with your post, Mike E. & you too, Mariposai about jobs.  If you remember my post Monday about my job as an Adjunct Prof., you'll appreciate it even more.  My fortune cookie today said, "You are soon going to change your present line of work."

Opie fantastic!!!! That is such a great news.

MikeE...I so totally understand your predicament.

"Champions are everywhereall you need is to train them properly..." ~Arthur Lydiard

Maniac 505

Opie:  I am sure the change will be for the better.

MikeE:  Fraser's buffalo is certainly the favorite of many,  The price of the 2001 commemorative dollar in the secondary market shows that.  To show my age, I used to regularly get mostly dateless, but once a 1914S in about F-12 in change.  Though I really like the buffalo, I like Saint Gaudens designs better,  both the incuse Eagles and the double eagles.

MM#209 / JapanJoyful#803

me too, it's better than most of the in-flight movies, especially the part about turning off all electronic devices, . .. . as the metallic robot does so and collapses lifelessly forward in his seat.  I also like the winking gal and the redheaded twins who, assuring the attendant they can handle the emergency exit row, intimidate the third passenger into leaving, . . only to be replaced by another replicate redhead.  For some reason, I've always thought of mikeE when I see it.  However, what's it got to do with the 80's.

"Enjoy yourself. Your younger days never come again." 100yo T. Igarashi to me in geta at top of Mt. Fuji (8/2/87)