Masters Running

1-30 daily runs for hump day (Read 585 times)

GreenMan

Hi Skip! Last week before taper and I've just about drained the well. Tired and unmotivated today. XT warmup So today's MLR was 10 miles with 6x1000 @ HM and 600m recoveries, I know it's kind of a weird run but that's about all I could muster. Felt kinda good actually. I get bored on MLRs with M+1:30 sometimes. This one had a little zip, but easy zip. Interesting run biketm, JJJ
    Iron Mt. Trail Runners blogsite .... JJJessee blogsite ....Spring is here. Go outside and play.
      I took the day off from running. But dropped in to read the daily. Of all the speed work (all of which I hate!) I think tempo runs are the least painful. I have been using Pfitz and his typically say something like 10 miles with 5 at HM pace. So I go slow (recovery pace) for about 2 or 3 miles then do the 5 then finish up the last 2 or 3 slow again. From what I can tell you do not need to push the speed work beyond what most plans call for. My training partner (who is a national class AG runner) decided last fall to mimic my training plan of keeping the pace slow when I am not specifically doing speed work. We both increased our mileage, avoided injury, and dropped our marathon times. In her case that is actually quite amazing!

Live like you are dying not like you are afraid to die.

Drunken Irish Soda Bread and Irish Brown Bread this way -->  http://allrecipes.com/cook/4379041/

King of PhotoShop

MC, that approach by rbb on incorporating some speed into the long runs, is from Tinman, and that is similar to the wave runs we discussed some time ago. My version of those would be say 13-14 mile run (not for marathon training) which has two miles to warm up, and then every other mile at HMP and easy mile in between, then about 1-2 miles to cool down. So you would have maybe 5 total miles at HMP, 5 "easy" and the warm up/cool down. I believe you would benefit from that kind of workout. As to Dale's comment about the right pace for tempo being by "feel", this is significant, because if you focus on running with some effort rather than time, you will certainly achieve oxygen debt at some point, but over a long enough period of time to enable you to do more volume of very good quality work. That is a very compelling reason to do it by feel. Few people can do that however. They just have to see that watch! Great contributions today all. I love a daily like this one. See you soon. Trivia question for tomorrow: Who is my Valentine's date and in what city? Spareribs
        pfriese

Evening all, A very windy day here in Oklahoma. I had a 5 mile recovery run scheduled today. But into that wind (25mph sustained with 32mph gusts), it turned into a hill run. 2.5 mile into it at 9:15/mile pace. At the turn-around, it pushed me all the way back for a final average pace of 8:58/mile. A little faster than planned, but I feel great, so I guess it was one of those sproinky runs. Paul
            sssshhh ribs... i thought valentine's day was our sekrit! it's nice to see you back... now if only you'd hang out in mirc some more. i agree about those wave runs... they are great. i did a bunch last time, and will do them again next time. usually on alternate thursdays, with tempos on the thurs. in between wave runs. but besides fast finish long runs (and i only do two per marathon cycle) my long runs (20+ mi) are unstructured and easy, whereas my role models are running them with pace goals. so that's my next step, structuring those long runs, probably instead of doing speedwork on saturdays. it's all easy to say now, farting around with 40 miles per week... we'll see if i can execute them when the miles get higher.
              just can't let this thread die yet... you know Dale, thinking about your friend's training more, I just can't imagine 10 miles at tempo in the middle of marathon training. That's some serious training. CNY - Mad City coach? Now you're talking my talk (and have me curious). You know I'm a Badger? Big grin My bestest childhood friend still lives there. Ribs, sheesh. It's still January. Hey, you mentioning Tinman is timely for me. I was just on Tinman's website today, remembering I'd bookmarked it a while ago. Didn't pay attention to the training talk today, but found some little gems there -- an interview with Daniels where he talks about proper pre-race warm-ups and an article about a little known Norwegian masters runner. Good stuff. Got the 7 miles in and was having a good run in the park until I had sudden GI distress in the middle of it. Why I decided to chug 12 oz. of coffee just before heading out is beyond me. I know my body better. Angry
              evanflein

Deb, remember, I don't usually deal with wind... you guys do. For that I salute you for sure! Spareribs.... why wouldn't that workout be for marathon training? Sounds like a good mlr kind of run... I went to the gym with dh today, a nice side benefit of carpooling with him. He's been doing so good this week with his workouts, doing a 5k of walk/run (at a pretty high incline, but he likes it like that... 5%?), and weights. Hope he keeps doing it! 5 miles tonight, 3 at EZ 8:57 pace, 2 @ 8:34, 1% incline. Nice to have a TV.... got to watch the news for the first time in ages. Of course, I just watched... was listening to Solarmix 6....

King of PhotoShop

Spareribs.... why wouldn't that workout be for marathon training? Sounds like a good mlr kind of run...
                  Because if I am not training for a marathon, that is my long run of the week. The marathon long run would be longer, as MC described. I imagine you could do this run as your second quality run of the week, say a long run on the weekend and this one on (the MLR) Wednesday as you suggest, but you wouldn't need any more quality work in a week than that unless you are very conditioned and have a pretty big base. Tinman has you do two runs of quality in a week. A long run and a medium long run. For training other than the marathon, this is 13-14 mile "wave" run, (weekend) and a mid-week run of about 9 miles. All these long runs have the quality, or speed, built into them, wave, progression, intervals, etc., but just twice a week. I tend to like this because it is better suited to the masters runner who often has recovery issues with three quality workouts in a week (long run, track and tempo for example). Spareribs