Masters Running

Run For Justin 5k race report (Read 187 times)

selb3

Was able to participate in the Run for Justin 5k, on Saturday, July 12, which benefits the Leukemia and Lymphoma society. The run is in honor of a young man who was traing for team in training, but was tragically killed in an auto accident. The run is put on by his family; this is the 5th year. I have gotten to know the family via TNT, and they have become very involved. The day dawned threatening for rain. The rain held off until just at the 8:00 a.m. start. After a brief shower, the clouds blew out and many finished in sunshine. Was able to arrive early enough to visit with many of my TNT and running friends. Had my 12 year-old son and 11 year old daughter with me. They consented to running the race. Prior to the run, it was agreed we would all run our own paces, as I couldn't really run with both (they run just different enough paces where it would be hard), but more on that later. They were troopers, though. I ran the first mile in about 7:00, then eased into a nice pace. Ended up finishing in 22:27 for a 7:15 overall pace. I went through the chute, grabbed a water, and headed back out to see the kids. My son was about a half mile from the finish by the time I got out to him, and he was running well. I ran with him to the finish, and he finished in 30:19. Afterwards he stated he could have run faster, but was just having fun. I headed back out for my daughter, she was not far behind. I ran with her for the last bit, and she finished in 33:23. She only walked for a brief time, and ran the rest of the way. Last year she and I ran this race together, and she has picked up the pace considerably. We stuck around for the goodies, food and awards. Lo and behold, I was able to garner a 3d place in age group, as a couple of guys in my age group finished in the top 10. There were 483 participants, I finished 62nd overall. I realized it has been quite awhile since I ran a short race and tried for time. It can only get better. The kids were both a bit sore the next day, but youth has it advantages, and they both bounced back well. Dave
    DickyG

Dave... What an incredibly good time...and place! Congrats to you...and your kids...are certainly in order. Was this a PR...or close to one? DickyG
      wildchild

Carolyn

That's terrific that you got to race with your kids, and for a good cause, too, and you got AG hardware, and the rain was brief and didn't dampen your spirits, and you got to visit with your running buddies - sounds just about perfect.

I hammered down the trail, passing rocks and trees like they were standing still.

nice run Dave - and so cool to involve the kids for such a great cause!! congrats to all!!

denise

Way to go, Dave. That sounds like a nice race for a good cause. Congrats on your AG award. Congrats also to Nathan and Clair. Tom
            huskydon

Great running for the entire family! Your children did real well! (maybe they will overtake you someday soon?) And so did you! Congratulations! huskydon

Marathon Maniac #957

How cool is it, a race that you can share with your kids. Great job for all of you!

Life is a headlong rush into the unknown. We can hunker down and hope nothing hits us or we can stand tall, lean into the wind and say, "Bring it on, darlin', and don't be stingy with the jalapenos."

Great run Dave, you all did so well. How very cool to be able to run with the kids and truly enjoy it, now those memories are "priceless"! Wink Congratulations to the whole family.
                  Mariposai

Ended up finishing in 22:27 for a 7:15 overall pace. I went through the chute, grabbed a water, and headed back out to see the kids. My son was about a half mile from the finish by the time I got out to him, and he was running well. I ran with him to the finish, and he finished in 30:19. Dave
                    Dave, this is what I love about you and your races...there is always either a friend or a family member you are running with. You are one of my heroes, I hope you know that. Cheers to your son who did not speed up because he was having so much fun running the race. High five to him!! Keep being the inspiration you are to all of us. Nancy

"Champions are everywhereall you need is to train them properly..." ~Arthur Lydiard