Masters Running

Saturday Nov. 22 Runs, etc (Read 678 times)

TammyinGP

DickyG - yes, tomorrow is the day after today. Wink thanks for reminding me Tongue I lost my motivation earlier this week and can't remember where I put it. Searched high and low this a.m. and just couldn't find it either. So, I didn't run. Just didn't have it in me I guess. I think I must have needed a mental break from running this week, as I only ran once. But tomorrow is a new day (oh, is that what you meant Dicky?) so I will get out and run. Hopefully it won't be running in the rain though. Hi Tet Blush You're welcome Tim Smile

Tammy

Holly I said Dexter was big, I never called him fat. maybe DickyG thought I should be intimidated by you.
        I'm afraid to ask what kind of work you do. Dark Horse
        Big grin Sarge - I am the blister queen. I've had great success using Spenco 2nd Skin Squares under kinesio tape. The tape stays in place much better than band aids, and you can also use Tincture of Benzoin to ensure it stays. I get the tape and Benzoin through ZombieRunner, and the Spenco - I just search the web for the best price.

Leslie
        Living and Running Behind the Redwood Curtain
        -------------

Trail Runner Nation

Sally McCrae-Choose Strong

Bare Performance

i'm lovin' it... MM#1949

Hey Perchcreek, you had a really good "how to" link for pool running in your signature or something when you were recovering from PF. I tried to find it but can't. You can Google "pool running" or "deep water running" and get some good info, but I liked that link you had. Can you repost? I think it would help Tim quite a bit.
          \ Here's some: http://www.runnersworld.com/article/0,7120,s6-238-263-266-5536-0,00.html http://www.pfitzinger.com/labreports/water.shtml http://www.beginnertriathlete.com/cms/article-detail.asp?articleid=1078 Aqx shoes make water running even better! http://aqxsports.com/index.php?cPath=24&osCsid=f3cb3e8f206b1ccff1b7ddbb931536b0

Perch's Profile "I don't know if running adds years to your life, but it definitely adds life to your years." - Jim Fixx "The secret is to make in your mind possible what was not possible before. The secret is to make easy what was difficult, instead to make difficult what really is easy." - Coach Renato Canova

Marathon Maniac #3309

At 6:00 AM, it was 9 degrees here so I wimped out and went to the Y. 8 miles on the dreadmill, 9:41 pace. I tried to run the last five minutes at an 8:00 minute mile pace but thought I was going to fly off the back of the treadmill and only made it 3, but I sure got my heart rate up there! The next stop was to the store to buy a turkey (they had a coupon in the paper - 48 cents a pound). Tim, you want to meet wimmin - the meat department was swarming with them! The store clerk couldn't throw them (turkeys, not women) in the meat case fast enough. It was almost comical - I kept looking for the hidden Candid Camera. Sarge - go buy some liquid bandaid. That stuff works really well on blisters and cuts. Hopefully, that will stop the blister from causing you any pain during your run. Good luck to all the racers this weekend!
            LOL, you are too funny. Let me know the next time what market you are shopping at...hey btw, what were you doing checking out the wimmin at the meat market anyways, lol???? Tim

Running has given me the courage to start, the determination to keep trying, and the childlike spirit to have fun along the way - Run often and run long, but never outrun your Joy of running!

wildchild

Carolyn

First chance I've had to read the daily. DH just got home last night from a month away in Australia and New Zealand. Today we took DD and her best friend to see the movie Twilight - a teen vampire flick. It was cheesy, but we all enjoyed it. Anyone else with teenage daughters seen this? I think that's the target audience. DD is up to week 5 on her C25K program - yay for her! So I took her to the rec center after we got home from the movie, and ran 3 miles on the indoor track, 10:15, 9:55, 9:25. We both ran barefoot - I'm always much speedier that way. Then we each tried to sprint a lap (100 meters) - she did it in 16 seconds, and I did 20 seconds. Usain Bolt's record for the 100m is 9.something. Of course he didn't have to turn tight corners... Tammy, Happy Birthday tomorrow! Enjoy your day!

I hammered down the trail, passing rocks and trees like they were standing still.

Marathon Maniac #3309

thank you very much timmy for your good humor that really helped me deal with bein' so depressed this month at the cancellation of one of my favorite marathons earlier in the month (freebie United We Run NYC Sister Marathon on leafy, barefoot-friendly bike paths that, so it seems, got cease'n'decisted from affiliating with the NYC mary and fizzled w/o a big licensing fee). As a weekend fitness runner often on extended tapers, especially in the winter when there's not so many events to entice me to put on my sneakers, . . . I mean take 'em off, this is the first time I've ever had a nonrunning taper-buddie and it's really helped to be able to check the daily everyday to see if you were still tapering too. I'm really sorry that you're still on the DL and may be for a long time, maybe even giving up running through some of next year too. If so, you can be sure I will be be joining you again for the whole month of December after next weekend's Seattle Marathon and, after the annual New Year's Day Resolution 5K Run and shirtless plunge <>with some of the local goddesses i hope)>>> into Lake Washington, through January, and also February, if necessary too. Divechief's done long injury tapers at least two times after various marathons for up to six months but he really is living proof it can have very special benefits. <>arf/arf)>>> In the meantime, maybe you're already a good swimmer but, with an Ironman in your future (I know you are thinking half but please plan on the full sometime too; if I can, you can), most of swimming power is in the shoulders so, maybe pool run a little bit, but make developing a powerful stroke your goal for the next few months and just let your feet drag behind. Well, it's been a pleasure but, with her taking time to run the first five miles of the inaugural Eugene Marathon with me for real and spiriting me up at the mile 20 goddess aid station - and Portland too, I've been looking forward to ending the current four week taper tomorrow with a virtual tammy run (she doesn't want anyone to know it's her birthday, so don't tell). Why don't you dedicate something tomorrow to her too and maybe start thinking about something in the future you can look foward to too. <>SeattleRnR-tammy&tim/ilene&tim/mariposai&tim/evanika&tim/arf&tim/holly&tim aamos&tim/enkika&tim/franci&tim/marilynmonroe/TBA)>>> doesn't seem like such a great idea to run in those shoes for 13.1 miles no matter what else you might wear (or not). With regard to the TM, many of my runningbarefoot buddies use the TM in the winter too to avoid ice and snow on their soles plus there's a lot of shoddies running at inclines of 1-2% to avoid heel striking and get used to the mid/forefoot landings recommended for injury-free running by Posetech, ChiRunning, Mindful Running. Incidentally, though many gyms claim to require footwear of some sort, the LIfeFitness reps in Seattle said barefoot is just fine (otherwise, just put on socks, aquasocks, etc.) ====================== nonrunners anonymous - COR 11/21/08 (Friday) lamerunner - 11 erika - 19 twocat - 19 timbi - 20 tet - 27
                Tet, I had NO idea you were going through that. Geez, guess we really are on the same page, sorta. I am done running till at least Jan 1st I have decided today. Then I will slowly ramp up to a Marathon with Holly in the Spring. Tet, I have done 2 1/2 Ironman's, but wanted to get a Marathon done before I plan a full Ironman...but will still do it. Thanks Tet...you have helped more than you know...AND, I am 1st in the tapering/injured 40/0 club. Now. deal with that Tet and Twocat.... Holly - Mary, very sweet runs today...luv you gals!!! See ya Jan 1st Tim

Running has given me the courage to start, the determination to keep trying, and the childlike spirit to have fun along the way - Run often and run long, but never outrun your Joy of running!

evanflein

Tim... did you see those links that Steve posted? The first two are the best. The very first one is the one I was thinking about, couldn't remember it was runners world! Today I went to the gym and, while I swore I didn't want to do the elliptical, DH was with me and he likes to do that so i did too. 30 mins (3.69 miles) later, I hopped on the treadmill for some walking. 10 minutes later (and I'll admit to a couple minutes of slow running in there... but I didn't have my running shoes so it wasn't great), I headed for the weight room. 30 minutes of upper body weights, some with DH there (but he spent most of his time with the Nautilus machines while I was in the free weight room), I headed for the pool for 30 minutes of pool running. Felt so good to get a full well-rounded workout done! So my mental attitude is a lot better tonight. G'night all. Happy birthday tomorrow Tammy, and I hope you find your motivation for a nice birthday run!
                    oops, wrong day

Lou, (aka Mr. predawnrunner), MD, USA | Lou's Brews | lking@pobox.com