Masters Running

Thursday February 12 Runs, Swims, whatever ..... (Read 672 times)

Just so no one's confused - I don't do windows. Tramps - All I can say is he needs to be prepared for the gas bloat. They pump you up with a gas so they can see what's going on in there, and then it's hard get out. The nurses were surprised I got to go home since I hadn't got rid of any. Makes me wish I still had my fat pants. Walking is suppose to help get rid of it, and maybe I didn't walk enough over the last two days.

Leslie
    Living and Running Behind the Redwood Curtain
    -------------

Trail Runner Nation

Sally McCrae-Choose Strong

Bare Performance

Hi, folks. I'm back. Did anyone miss me? Big grin EG - Loved your description of your workout. Made me smile. And Ribs - You got wimmin slowin' down fer you. You got speed goin' on in those legs. Watch out world! Surgery went fine. Said there was a lot of scarring on my GB, so all this had obviously been going on for a long time. Finally got released from the hospital last night around 9:30. Some miscommunication between my doc and hospital staff. He thought I'd already been discharged and wasn't too happy. I'm suppose to walk around a lot - hopefully to get rid of all this gas build up in my abdomen, which hurts like heck. And I can start back on my stationary bike next week, but no lifting over 15 pounds for two weeks. He actually encouraged me to do light housework - in front of my hub! Evil grin The nerve! Wink
      Ha! My wife had her GB removed last year. It was an emergency type of thing and a little scary. She was full of stones. Now she's at the Y every day trying to make me look bad (and herself look good). Have a speedy recovery. Holly, sorry to hear about your news. That would frustrate me unbelievably. Wishing speedy recovery as well. Maybe DH should try that funky blood transfusion all the Pittsburgh Steelers were using before the Super Bowl? Evil grin

Holly and CNY, it's really neat that you got to run together two days in a row. dg, sorry to hear about your step son's appendix. I hope he recovers quickly. Holly, that's a bummer about your husband being off for 3 months, especially when you thought it would be less. I guess, though, it's better to be safe than sorry. fatozzig, I'm glad to hear your surgery went well. EGH, great news on the new low weight, shin feeling better, and good job weight lifting. Nice long runs for enke, breger, mariposai (with speedwork), evan (fast finish with uphill sprints), Peter (with hills), and jdmom. Way to go on the speedwork for perch and WRFB. Last night, I didn't like the weather forecast with nasty wind. My wife wanted to go to Saginaw (50 miles away) to see her dad and suggested I do my run in a public fitness facility they have with an indoor track. I figured that it would be worth trying for a new experience. It turned out to be a fairly nice track, 9.5 laps to the mile, corners fairly sharp and not banked. I thought I had a good plan for keeping track of my miles but one mile came in a little fast and made me wonder if I'd counted one more lap than I ran. Then, in my 8th mile, I realized where I thought I was going to finish was across the track from where I should be. So, I ran another half lap and stopped my watch at 1:21:12 calling that 8 miles (for a 10:09 pace) and then ran another lap and a half so I could feel that I hadn't shorted my miles. I'm curious to see if tomorrow I will have a sore hip and/or knee from the approximately 300 right turns. A good day and good runs for all. TomS
        wildchild

Carolyn

Tom, I run on the indoor track quite a bit, (ours is 100m, or 16 laps to the mile) and I've never had trouble with all the turns. I think it would be an issue if you ran really fast, but at a 10mm pace, which is about what I run at, the turns aren't too stressful. Holly, that's amazing that your doc didn't mention the 3 months off! Did it slip his mind, or what? I'm not sure what your DH does, but can his workplace make some accommodations for him to go back to work at a desk job until the 3 months is up, then do the 100-lb test? Spareribs, nice story. Leslie, glad the surgery went well. Hope you have a speedy recovery. Some of you have been posting about music I've never heard of. I'll have to look up those songs on Itunes. Yesterday I did 3 easy around the golf course at a 10:47 avg pace. No golfers because there was an inch of snow on the grass, but the path was clear. Today I did a 5 mile trail run at the local state park, and it also came out to exactly 10:47 avg pace! I swear there was a headwind the whole way today, even though I ran a loop. Confused At least it was fairly warm (45°) and sunny.

I hammered down the trail, passing rocks and trees like they were standing still.

Walked for about an hour this morning with a friend. Then went back later to run at noon, when it was much warmer and I was overdressed. Was feeling a little out of it when I woke up this morning and sure enough my run was sub-par. I took Rib's suggestion to heart about doing 5 miles at HMP, but I could only manage 3 today. 2 mile w/u @ 11:30, 11:28 3 mile tempo @ HMP pace 9:36, 9:38, 9:37 (over hills and net uphill, wow look at that consistency!) 1 mile c/d @ 10:10 (dowhill mostly) When I did the 4 mile tempo last Saturday, it felt easier. Just feeling a bit off today. But on the sunny side, it was sunny outside! Cool Had to wear my sunglasses, woohoo!

"During a marathon, I run about two-thirds of the time. That's plenty." - Margaret Davis, 85 Ed Whitlock regarding his 2:54:48 marathon at age 73, "That was a good day. It was never a struggle."

King of PhotoShop

Enke, the alternative was 3 at tenK, so consider yourself having accomplished 3 miles at "good effort" which is all the same. Some days ya got it, some days ya don't. Good work. Spareribs
              evanflein

Tom, 300 right turns on an unbanked track... oy. I sure hope you're not sore tomorrow! Our athletic club has a track that is 19 laps to the mile, but the corners are nicely banked. Still... I feel dizzy after just a few laps and would rather do the treadmill and watch a movie... or Food Network! Enke, 'Ribs is right. But still, you had a good run overall. Some days it's just easier than others. Funny thing, this running stuff. 4 miles on the 'mill at lunch but geez I really wish I'd brought my outdoor stuff. Temps are in the low teens and it's soooo sunny out there! Cool Would be a beautiful day for a midday run, but I'd probably not stop and just keep going. Watched Rachel Ray make some yummy looking gorgonzola burgers with arugula and carmelized onions... Yum! Looked easy enough I can do it from memory sometime... as long as I do it pretty soon.

Renee the dog

Sue I was at the dentist today too -- with my two kids trying to fold me up in the chair every 2 min. My dentist is my summertime/sometimes race buddy, with kids of his own, so it didn't bother him a bit. Bothered me! I was in the chair!!! Big grin So no, yoga didn't cross my mind. Other less peaceful thoughts did though... dg, I've been having hip pain regularly at the top of my thigh. I've been working some trigger points on the very top of the Rectus Femoris and Tensor Fasciae Latae with the hard super ball. I also ice it once a day a bit more towards the TFL (out) side. Interestingly, I think what's really aggravating the condition is my sleeping position (because it couldn't be running, right??!! Big grin ) Seriously, in reading my trigger point book, it mentioned sleeping with bent legs can be a cause as can higher heels. Since I don't wear heels, and since I do sleep with Renee taking up the bottom half of my bed...anyway, last night I slept with my leg straight and it seemed to help some. Oh and note, this is not the same side as my ITB side, but it is the same side as my knee issue. I have been doing my knee exercises, and also suspect that my enthusiastic embracing of the knee exercises could possibly be another contributing factor. Oh one final thing the book said is that TFLs with trigger points mimic true bursitis.

GOALS 2012: UNDECIDED

GOALS 2011: LIVE!!!

lots of great runs - indoors and outdoors today!! i really miss running!!Cry today i went to the gym - did a quick errand before i actually went inside which was an 8 minute walk -- it really was windy out there!! went into the gym and looked around to make sure one of my co-workers wasn't there as i planned to "jog" a bit on the treadmill - she threatened to rip me off it if she saw me running before the 6 weeks were upShocked -- so i did 8 min walk 2 min jog x2 then a 2 min cooldown -- for 1.55 miles on the treadmill in 22 min plus the 8 min walk -- can wait to get back to real running!!Undecided finished off with some light exercises and stretches -- feel good now but just hope i don't have delayed exhaustion tomorrowRoll eyes

denise

Denise, We can't wait for you to return to regular running either. Blush Just be careful . 4 Easy @ an average 9:30 pace 1st mile warm up then last 3 @ 9:00 and then a 3 minute cool down In trying to organize my schedule more I am giving more info in my daily posts. Writing it down helps make more sense , to me anyway. Big grin I had a hard time finding the daily today. I am so confused now. It didn't help that I have tomorrow off work and it seemed like Friday all day anyway. Confused PS: Mary, I have good news and bad news. The good news is I am getting my schedule revamped. The bad news is I added another day to my schedule. Hey you beat my tail last year so I need a good head start on you. Wink I see evryday doing better after his week off and with his early marathon build up he will catch us both pretty soon I bet. He was our other partner in crime last year. Good runs everyone Larry

Chumbawamba: I get knocked down But I get up again You're never going to keep me down