Masters Running

40s 50s 60s+ On the Run w/e 01/06 (Read 237 times)

What this power is I cannot say; all I know is that it exists and it becomes available only when a man is in that state of mind in which he knows exactly what he wants and is fully determined not to quit until he finds it.(Alexander Graham Bell)

Congrats to Joe and Arla for making it to 2000!  You guys are amazing.

We didn't stay up 'til midnight either, Stumpy.  Were in bed reading by 9:30. Roll eyes

I road zee stationary bike for 35 min yesterday, followed by about 30 min core/strength training.  This was after about an hour total of crutching around Costco and Winco (grocery store), so I figure I got a good UB workout between all of it.  Today I'm doing nothing except trying out my foot sans crutches.  I won't push it, but I need to be able to tell the doc on Thursday how things are going depending on what I do.

I also think I have a fairly decent infection going on in my right thumb.  It hurts like a *&^%, is very sensitive to temperature and touch, and is swollen and a little reddish.  It's been going on for a couple of days now, and I've been trying to figure out what the heck I did.  This morning it finally hit me that one of the cats may have snagged me when we were playing, so I will try to get in to see my GP tomorrow and get some antibiotics before it rots off my hand. Wink  Thankfully, it's not my left hand as I can't use the thumb for any kind of leverage.  Couldn't even use it to crack an egg open this morning.  Roll eyes  . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . I don't think I have any other physical issues to report . . . for now.

Leslie
    Living and Running Behind the Redwood Curtain
    -------------

Trail Runner Nation

Sally McCrae-Choose Strong

Bare Performance

stumpy77

Trails are hard!

DW and I did actually make it until midnight.  We just happened to do it by ourselves while watching a stupid (but funny) movie (Johnny English Reborn), some Three Stooges, and then Ryan for the ball drop (RIP Dick Clark).  We did get a nice text from DD at our midnight.  She and BF went to OKC to see the Flaming Lips New Year's concert.  Glad she didn't wait for their midnight Wink

I had thoughts of doing a 4 mile race this morning that started at 10am. since I rolled out of bed at about 9:15, I settled fro 4 miles around the lake to greet the new year. I have discovered that the Pure Flows are not much in the way of traction on snow, so stayed in the road when the sidewalks weren't clear. Faster than I expected for the amount of slipping and sliding that I did.

Need a fast half for late fall.  Then I need to actually train for it.

flatland mountaineer

Another 4 or so this morning with Dessa Lou, what is freeze my butt off weather is just right for her. She enjoys burning it full speed down the snow plowed gravel roads then doing 180 high speed turns in the powder filled ditches dipping her nose in the snow for full on face shots. Sometimes she wipes out on the turns and it makes it all that more fun for her. She is a hoot to watch and has incredible speed,.That said I can wear her out on long runs, of course she goes 2x as far as me. Anyway makes runs more entertaining and enjoyable during this cold stretch.

Garmin log shows 765 miles for the year and with my old Garmin on the fritz guessing I am actually close to 800 so happy with that for the year we had. I have been contemplating a warm climate 1/2 in February, right around 22+ or so ave per week for the last month and with a little help from the weather I think I can get up to 30/wk in a month. Not really worried about time but just thinking how far ahead I will be by summer by traing for this race through the winter.

Leslie I think the original time travel machine was a treadmill or a stationary bike. Hoping for a good report from the doc on the foot, glad you are taking full precautions. Your finger sounds like mine was last week. Put an aluminum step on a truck and caught a little aluminum sliver in my finger. Pulled out a short little sliver but 2-3 days later it was still sore to point I couldn't type, put on the magnifing glasses on and pulled out a 1/4 inch long sliver.

Stumpy sounds like you are close to me base wise but much faster, hope you go for it on the Feb half and can build for a full. Congrats for making it to midnight, we didn't.......

Congrats again for our run 2K folk. With that kind of base for years I think all your goals are in reach. Joe hoping you get a rematch at the NYC marathon and Arla guesing you can turn that huge base to some shorter distance pr's with a little speedwork.

Hey Ev hope the weather is letting you get some runs in. We need about one more good snow for good shoein' and skiing. BTW Igloo Ed is doing a huge Igloo trip in Glacier National Park in March with several outdoor magazine writers so hopefully he will have a good time and get some good PR.

Hiyas to Cindy, Carol, OM and any others reading.

Finished our year end stuff for the most part, clean up a few things tommorow. We buy quite a few inputs for next year and do most of our equipment upgrades this time of year to tie into our year end accounting and finacial planning. We did ok for a drought year, carried some 2011 grain in to sell at higher prices helped offset lack of production in this years crops. We finished the year at 1/3 our normal rainfall (driest hottest on record) so extremely concerned for next year as last year at this time we had pretty good subsoil moisture and were above average on precip. The cupboard is bare right now. My motto for the year is farm defensively, manage aggresively, and market wisely. As much as dad and I disagreed at times when I was a young, know it all, whippersnapper college boy, I sure miss him and his wisdom and vision. He was my rudder til the day he died in May this year.

Happy New and hoping for good things in 2013!

The whole world said I shoulda used red but it looked good to Charlene in John Deere Green!!

Support Ethanol, drink the best, burn the rest.

Run for fun? What the hell kind of recreation is that?  quote from Back to the Fut III

Joe - Your dad always sounded like he was quite the individual.  My mom's been gone 23 years and I still miss her.

I'm with you on the thumb hurting so much it hurt to type.  I messed around with it today, though, gave it a good, hard (painful!!) squeeze and   managed to get some - er - stuff out of it and it's starting to feel much better.  Warm salt water, a little peroxide, and more squeezing, and things should be right as rain in a day or two.

Leslie
          -------------

Trail Runner Nation

Bare Performance

It feels like Monday, but thankfully it's Wednesday!  I had plans to go out and do bike/strength training, then The Hub said, "Why don't wait 'til after your doctor appointment tomorrow?"  Since the deck was frosted over (not good to maneuver on crutches) and I knew I was going to be able to see my breath in the shed, well, let's just say it didn't take anymore prompting from him to crawl back into the warm covers after feeding the troops.  Now, however, with the stress I'm feeling at work today, I wish I had gotten in my workout.

Thumb is still lovely shades of red and purple, but at least it doesn't feel like it's gonna explode anymore.  Dang cats, anyway . . . .

For those of you who believe in the power of prayer, I'm asking for prayer on behalf of my brother and his wife (health and marriage issues) and my workplace.  Things are going to be tense on both fronts for awhile, I fear.

Okay - Gotta get back at it.  Enjoy the short week ~

Leslie
            -------------

Trail Runner Nation

Bare Performance

I'm talking to myself again, it seems . . .

Laid around in bed until I didn't have time to do a full workout (i.e., no stationary biking today), but do 45 min of core/strength, plus am participating in the plank challenge: 1 min forward plank w/left foot wrapped around the back of the right foot, and 30 secs each side.

So - - Went to the ortho today.  Doc: “I saw you on the schedule and thought, ‘What’s she doing back here?’” Me: “No offense, but I never wanted to see you again, either.”

Anyway - He thinks the problem might be circulatory.  I’m having nerve issues in the foot, it’s colder than the other foot, and the color doesn’t bounce back as fast when you put pressure on the skin.  There’s a main artery that runs along the top of the foot and takes a dive deep into the foot as heads between the big toe and the next toe.  He thinks that might be part of the problem - maybe it’s getting pinched.

I’m being scheduled for an MRI to rule out the possibility of the beginnings of a stress fracture or bony protrusion pinching the nerves or that main artery.  If nothing shows up on the MRI, he is thinking of referring me to a vascular surgeon.  Also, he has a doctor friend in Mammoth who not only deals with ultrarunners and their foot issues, but is an ultrarunner himself.  Depending on the results of the MRI, he may call and consult with him.  Mammoth’s a 6-hour drive from here, but if Dr. Walter thinks I would benefit from seeing his friend, I will be there lickety split.

As for what I’m allowed to do - basically anything that doesn’t hurt.  If I want to try running, try.  If it hurts, don’t do it.  I asked about still running WS 3-day training camp and Mt. Hood, and he said he doesn’t see either of those being an issue (although he did  hesitate for a micro second re WS).

So I will forego my race plans in Feb/Mar/April (for now), concentrate on finding out exactly what’s going on with my foot, and make WS , Mt. Hood, and (hopefully) Headlands 50 my main goals.  I plan to do some power walking tomorrow to see how things feel before I contemplate running again.

Leslie
              -------------

Trail Runner Nation

Bare Performance

Queen of 3rd Place

Happy new year, everyone...

Leslie - hopefully 2013 will bring you the solution to your foot problem and better news on the family and work fronts. I guess the good news is that you can do whatever you want that doesn't hurt your foot. And that thumb...sounds gross!

R2 - Cute description of Dessa! May you get the precip you need this year. Front page of the newspaper said the Sierra snowpack was at 101% of normal for this time of year, hopefully those storms coming through here get you what you need as well.

Stumpy - my wish for you is a little more home time and a little less travel this year. OK and a few more miles.

Joe - here's to another 2000 mi.

Meeting day at work (classes start Monday), and there was nothing but bad fiscal news, cutting classes etc. They want to furlough us a couple days a semester, I say get rid of the depressing meeting days the week before classes start, it would be worth it!

Between the day and night-time rounds of meetings, I had time for a quick run. Not sure what happened, went out for a normal 10 mi run and ended up flying! Did most of those miles at 8:40 - 8:45 pace, which is darn close to tempo pace (8:15 - 8:20). Gotta take those days when they come along, they sure are fun!

Ex runner

Not sure what happened, went out for a normal 10 mi run and ended up flying! Did most of those miles at 8:40 - 8:45 pace, which is darn close to tempo pace (8:15 - 8:20). Gotta take those days when they come along, they sure are fun!

Sweet!!

4 miles this a.m. that was a combo of power walking and slow running.  Did my best to channel my inner Jay on the power walking, but boy howdy, keeping up such a speed for a significant distance is tough!  However, I'm thinking I should've stuck to just the walking since I haven't been on my left leg in almost two weeks and my knee was a tad cranky for a short while.  That being said, there was no pain during the workout, but still the knowledge that "something" isn't right.  And now, later in the day, the foot just feels kinda funky.

Also, in keeping with the Plank Challenge here on the Masters Forum: 1 min single leg forward and 30 sec each side.

Leslie
                  -------------

Trail Runner Nation

Bare Performance

flatland mountaineer

Finished a little morning run and downloaded the Garmin. I am just shy of 25 so will go for a little trot to get me 25 for the week.  Progress!!

Not real cold this morning, low 20's, but wicked NW wind. It took me 3 times out the door to get the right combo. Dessa Lou kept giving me the WTH look, it's like you just go run Jim..... I ended up with my ski softshell, balcava and goggles on top of pearl izumi alpine pants. I didn't need much insulation just something to cut the wind. Here on the mostly treeless pairie not much to break the wind going into it, then overheat going with.

Wow Arla, nice cruising there, hope that worked off some of the stress between meetings. I saw you guys were doing fairly well on snowpack. I have seen a few avalance videos from out there posted on FB by a mtn. guide aquaintance of mine. Maybe we will catch some one of these times in the Rockies.

Leslie hope the MRI gives you the direction to relief. Nice you are at least getting to walk and run some, That power walking is harder than running for me.

Farmer meetings and classes off and on next week but workable run wise and looks like we will have a brief respite from the cold, I better take advantage of it. Sprayer tech was here this week, they have pickups and trailers with all their tools in them. I do all the simple maintenance, oil changes, etc. then they inspect it and do the harder more technical stuff. They are looking for warm places to work this time of year and they are really busy in-season so good to have it ready to roll.

laters

MTA

got my 25.

The whole world said I shoulda used red but it looked good to Charlene in John Deere Green!!

Support Ethanol, drink the best, burn the rest.

Run for fun? What the hell kind of recreation is that?  quote from Back to the Fut III

It took me 3 times out the door to get the right combo. Dessa Lou kept giving me the WTH look, it's like you just go run Jim....

Big grin  Leave it to the animals to look at us like we're idiots.

I got in a good 4-mile run/walk this a.m.  About 70/30 run/walk.  I keep expecting that sudden pain in my foot, but it hasn't happened, although all the other stuff is still front and center.  So long as the pain doesn't happen, though, I'm good to go.  Followed it up with about 35 min of core/strength training, then breakfast that The Hub made.

Also, a friend of his brought us two crab (crabs?) yesterday, so he made "poor man's tomato-based cioppino" (that's what we are calling it) this afternoon (the least expensive firm white fish we could find and some small by shrimp with leeks, parsley, onion, and I don't know what else).  OH - MY - GOODNESS!!!  I ate two full bowls of it.  Yum, yum, yum, yum, yum.  Better than anything we could've had in a restaurant.  That Hub of mine, he can cook, thank goodness!

Leslie
                      -------------

Trail Runner Nation

Bare Performance

Queen of 3rd Place

Leslie - nice work on the walk/run regime. It would be hard for me to find the patience to do that. How awesome that you have your personal chef to take care of the training table! Big grin

Jim - way to get out there in the cold!! Even here, it's hard to get it *just right*, and awfully tempting to overdress. Nice pic of DessaLou that you posted on the "what animal do you want to be when you run" thread. She's one fine-looking dog!

Took yesterday off just because, which broke my streak. I'm thinking it's good to break that streak before it gets much longer and becomes an unhealthy obsession. Nice to back off a little this week after chasing that bunny. Back at it hard next week, six weeks before the first race of the season.

Ex runner

You deserve the break, Arla.  It was fun watching you and Joe battle your way to 2000!

Rest day for me.  I wore my Danskos to church this a.m.  First time I've worn them in over two weeks.  The opening of the shoe hits right where my problem area starts with my foot and irritates it.  I think I'll be wearing my old running shoes until I get this foot thing figured out.  Oh, it's a real nice look with my work slacks! Big grin

Leslie
                          -------------

Trail Runner Nation

Bare Performance

Hey folks.

Congrats to the 2K mile club members (Arla and Joe)!

got in a couple of 3milers this week.  Really nice hike last Saturday.  We hiked along a frozen creek, hoping and scrambling around.  The weather was beautiful.

Les.....good luck with the foot and thumb.

Stumpy.....Flaming Lips!!

Jim........Nice week of running.  I bet your Dad can still be your rudder...and you can be one to others.

Arla....you deserve a rest.

Here's to a fun year of running!

Quit being so damn serious! When we change the way we look at things, the things we look at change. "Ya just gotta let it go." OM