Masters Running

Martian Marathon RR (Read 184 times)

I began running in 01 and this was my 10th marathon, since 04. As Tom mentioned in his 1/2 marathon report, Martian marathon has some of the neatest and strange tech shirts for the runners. Google Martian marathon it's on their home page. The day was sunny and warm with high of 65 expected. I wore my Hanson's singlet and shorts, think Brian Sells only 80 pounds heavier. I wore my Brooks Trance 04 model, and compression Shorts. I hoped to run in the 4 hr 30 min. range, compared to my 4:16 last year. My training has been down this year to do the heavy snows we have had in Michigan this year. and the excess baggage I am carrying around my waist. I have been fighting the battle of the bulge this winter with my weight going from 185 at Bayshore last year to around 205 as I write this. The morning broke cool with a temp 41 as I jogged from my hotel to the race headquarters about 1.5 miles away. I wore my usual throw away sweatshirt and my afore mentioned running outfit. The 1/2 and full marathon both begin at the same time with 350 registered marathoners, and alot of 1/2 marathoners, it took me almost 2.5 min. to get to the starting mat. We looped around U of M Dearborn about 1.5 times before running left on to Evergreen for 1.2 mile, then left on Ford road for another 1/2 mile before entering Hines Park. Hines Park is a nature area that runs along the Rouge River, its run by the county, and is about 11 miles along with picnic areas, playground equipment, sleding hills,wet lands, and abundant wildlife. I saw ducks and geese while running along with some deer tracks. The coarse is out back and runs East to West, with rolling hills. I ran the first mile at 8:00 flat tooo fast again, with mile 2 at 17:00 min., better but these first 2 miles will are my undoing. At 3 miles my time 26:00 flat, It had began to warm so I threw my sweatshirt away. I maintained around 9:00min. miles through 6 miles, 53:40. At 8 miles the turn around for the 1/2 marathoners was just beyond the aide station. I tell you this because one young lady missed it and ran on with us not knowing that she was now on the marathon coarse. She did catch ride back at 14 miles. I made 10 mile at 93 min., this slow for my last several marathons, ususally in the 8:30 range at this point. I made it to the 1/2 way mark 2:05:30, faster than last weeks 1/2 marathon by 1 min. We made our turn around at about 13.5 miles and headed back to the college. I got to the 14 mile mark and realized that could coast in with 10 min mile pace and easily get a 4:30, this was a bad omen, thinking about slowing down. Between 14- 15 miles as crested a hill the wind picked up and was blowing in our face at about 15 mph, as strained to maintain pace I looked down to the ground, and there lies a 10 dollar bill. I thought to my self, that is a funny looking Gu package but I stopped to pick it up. Yep 10 dollars for me. As we continued back to the finish notice the wind getting stronger and the sun getting warmer. I slowed down dramtically from 14- 16 miles 2:40, I usually calculate my time on a good day as under 3 hrs. at 20 miles as being a good day, this was beginning to shape up as not a good day. At 18 miles I made it at 3:02. My 4:30 was beginning to become in doubt. I slowed more and more with each passing mile, the leg cramps had begun somewhere around 15 miles not severe but enough change my stride. First was my quads then my hamstrings and finally my calves all began to knot. I would pull off stretch them but with each passing episode I lost time and form. When I had hit 24 miles I knew 4:30 was out of the question, 4:20. I doubt that on my best day I could manage a 10 min. pace or better the last 2.2 miles of a marathon. I was able to finish, not well but 4:52:48, 28/34 227/350 entered. This was afar cry from my 3:58 last year at Bayshore but still in my top 5 times. My wife was at the finish line for me, usually doesn't come to finish with her fair skin, but this area was very shady. She said she saw me turn on the finish stretch about a 1/2 a mile away, I where long white compression shorts under my running shorts and knew that I was laboring badly by my stride and gait. I was able to pickoff about 5 runners in the last tenth of a mile so I did have some kick left, just not much. I kneeled and prayed as I always do after my races, and thanked God for strong body and the abilty to press on to the goal, so that I might win the prize. Before standing a did my tradition of 1 arm pushups, for each marathon I have completed. Proving that no race can get the better of me, I still have something left. What I learned, the extra 10-20 pounds I am carrying effects my running more that I realize. Though my body fat is stilll around 13-14 % the pounding my leg get wears me down in the long runs. I am 48, I mean 49, todays my birthday, me and Hugh Hefner, and I might need to cut some weight before Bayshore next month. I started my diet on Monday and will splurge alittle on Saturday when my boys come home for my party. I also need more quality runs, speed work, fartleks, tempo. I ran for the first time since Sunday last night 10 min.pace for about 4 miles and my legs are still screaming. I plan on running a race on Saturday but am unsure if I should do the 5,10 ,15k. What do you think??? I real hard 5k with another 10k at a slower pace??
      Derrick, you did well. Personally, I'm glad the wind held off until I was finished. That would have made things a lot tougher. I can't imagine doing a single one armed push up under any condition, let alone 10 after a marathon. You are one tough guy. Since I only decided at the last minute to go, I didn't think to try to contact you for a possible meet up. One of these days it will happen. Congrats and Happy birthday. TomS
        Hey Derrick I was wondering when we were going to get your RR. Hey you finished another one and thats all good. So you did a half week before last and a full last week and now just a little 15k? A piece of cake for you. Smile I am scheduled for work this Saturday so I probably can't make the Tax Trot but if for some reason I get it off I will show up and probably run the 15k at my (hopeful) MP of 9:00s. If I do I will give you a call on my way there. Happy Birthday by the way!

Chumbawamba: I get knocked down But I get up again You're never going to keep me down

Happy Birthday Derrick!! great race report!! you really perservered thru those leg cramps and to be able to do one arm pushups after 26.2 miles leaves me in awe!! nice job!!

denise

King of PhotoShop

Good effort to finish Derrick. I know it's hard to train over the winter where you are, and it's too bad about that first mile. Good news is that you can practice your pace for the first mile pretty easily. You'll come back on the next one. Good luck. Spareribs
            SteveP

Happy Birthday!!! Well done on a tough race Derrick!!! It's kewl that your DW was there at the end of the race.

SteveP

huskydon

Happy Birthday! Way to gut it out and finish yet another marathon. I was impressed that you jogged to the start of the race, 1.5 miles away. No doubt faster times are in your future as you train more. Good job! huskydon
                btb1490

Derrick, a fine way to celebrate your birthday. You sound determined to improve yourself, now that the winter is over, I suspect we'll be seeing some PR's from you as you start to ramp up your miles. Pretty impressive post-race activity you have there! I'm in awe!
                    Congrats Derrick on your 10th marathon! Happy (belated) Birthday to you (and Hugh Hefner). You must be incredibly strong to do 1 arm pushups after running all those miles! Hope you run well this weekend (have you chosen yet?)
                      No I have not Iam leaning toward the 5k, and then heading back out and banditing the last 2 loops of the coarse.