Masters Running

Woo Hoo It's Saturday!!! And this is the Daily for August 2nd! (Read 37 times)

Sayhey! MM#130

Back to point out that I just noticed in 2014 Boston Marathon REcord Book, our own Karin (CNYrunner) led the Western Mass Distance Project to place 22 out of 66 teams in the Women's Masters Teams.  Results on page 79 if you have access to a copy.  (BAA sends them to everyone who paraticipated.)

Best part of the book: Back cover, BAA full page note; "we all made boston stronger, thank you."

https://agratefullifedotnet.wordpress.com/  (for a piece or two of my mind)

evanflein

Cool about Karin, but we all knew she was awesome. Thanks for sharing that. Nice long run for you, and I bet it was far from pokey.

And yes, C-R, sub 19 is a good goal and all that, but hey, sub-20 is excellent.

Ribs, that is funny. Makes you wonder what she was thinking. I could see that she wanted to remember what you were wearing to make sure to give the key to the right person, but not returning at all? Hmmm...

Nice recovery from the fall, Dave. I hate falling. You'd never know it by how fast I go down rocky trails, but it's the slipping/falling that really gets me. Or the trip on a root kind of fall. I slipped on ice last Halloween, and it was like a slow-motion movie watching my feet go up and knowing the sidewalk was rapidly approaching. Kind of have time for a thought: "oh, this is gonna hurt!" and try to protect the noggin.

Holly, I hear that's a drawback to having girls: they take your stuff. Having had two boys, I didn't ever have that problem. Growing up, my sister, mom and I all had different size feet so it was never an issue there. My youngest son complains that his brother takes his t-shirts, but that's not a big deal (at least to me). Nice job on your 20 miler yesterday. I bet it's nice getting that done on a Friday so the weekend isn't taken up by long runs.

Enke, eat within 30 minutes of getting home from a run! Make that a routine thing. Don't go getting all shaky on us. Did #18 show up today?

Yo MikeE. Check in plz!

Well, today's half marathon was every bit as miserable as I thought it might be, and then some. At least it wasn't raining as hard out in North Pole (about 16 miles south of where I am) as it was here in town. At the start. But it was very wet with puddles on the street and mud with big puddles on the trail portion. Very slippery and sloppy. Driving rain with headwind on the return. But hey, everyone dealt with the same conditions, right? I just don't deal with mud very well. Course was long, so everyone was wondering why they had us do a full lap around the HS track at the end, but oh well. 1:46:44 was the Garmin time, and 13.23 was the Garmin distance. Nobody had less than 13.2, and the RD admitted it was long. So why the track lap? Oh well. Didn't stick around for results, will check the web site later. I was soaked through! Came home to freshly baked banana bread and hot coffee!

King of PhotoShop

Ribs, what did you pair with the red tank?  I mean, if you had been stying as per usual, she would have noted your ensemble.  Were you out in mismatched togs, seeing you were away from home?  That might have contributed to the problem.

Anyone see the "Jersey Boys" movie yet?  Ribs?

Thanks EK. And Enke's story was pretty funny.  Aamos is poking fun, but I take what I wear seriously.  Anyone remember that guy who runs in Corpus Christi, TX who is the minister? I forget his handle here. You old-timers remember him, very fast guy. He sent me that singlet.  It's red and says Corpus Christi Road Runners on it.  I wore black shorts and red shoes. Even on the road I dress correctly.

Blazin' what a beautiful back yard and pool.

And nothing that CNY does surprises me any more. What an athlete she is.  Where does she get that energy?  Spareribs

Mariposai

How did MikeE do?

"Champions are everywhereall you need is to train them properly..." ~Arthur Lydiard

Yes Karin is at the top of my awesome list, as are a number of other fast runners around here.  And not just for their athletic ability.

Nope Erika, #18 didn't show up.  I had to look at my list to remember which one #18 was!!!   Ha, good thing I keep a list.

#19, the small time theatre actor, only hearing the sound of crickets from him, so I guess that is a scratch.  Too bad, I looked up photos from the last play he was in, and I started to think how attractive he is/was......oh well!  What I really need now is to date a plumber, which I have been saying all along to the tune of "I'd date a plumber, if he really "got me" and liked to read good books"  Wink

Yeah, where is Mike E ?

Erika, that still sounds like a pretty fast half.  Mud and all.

"During a marathon, I run about two-thirds of the time. That's plenty." - Margaret Davis, 85 Ed Whitlock regarding his 2:54:48 marathon at age 73, "That was a good day. It was never a struggle."

MM#209 / JapanJoyful#803

Off to work now. It is going to be over 100F today, yeahhh loving the sun.

nancy - are you still helping on the fire recovery in your "spare" time?
              Glad Omak is safe but did your trails, etc. survive the wildfires?

What about homes of so many people you must know?

Fortunately, no fatalities, i guess

"Enjoy yourself. Your younger days never come again." 100yo T. Igarashi to me in geta at top of Mt. Fuji (8/2/87)

Marathon Maniac #957

#19, the small time theatre actor, only hearing the sound of crickets from him, so I guess that is a scratch. 

What does the "crickets" reference mean?

C-R - you and your DS are fast!

Erika - given the givens, I think that is an extremely fast time - well done!

Life is a headlong rush into the unknown. We can hunker down and hope nothing hits us or we can stand tall, lean into the wind and say, "Bring it on, darlin', and don't be stingy with the jalapenos."

SteveP

I swear I saw some dude in a red tank top. I'm sorry for not stopping for a face to face intro.

Yay C-R

Nice acrobatics, Dave59

My schizophrenic younger brother took himself off meds 5 years ago and systematically eliminated people from his life. Because we're abusive and do not follow his interpretation of religion. In the spring, I asked the county police to do a welfare check on him. It was not received well. DW and I both received  a threatening letter.

Friday, he's in the driveway when I got home. He's broke and homeless and needs a $2,000 loan for a car repair and to get insurance. He can have the loan. After that, I'm not sure what to do next. If he stays with us long term, even when he's on meds will escalate into hostility and violence.

SteveP