Masters Running

Big Block Party - Los Angeles Marathon Race Report (Read 437 times)

Dromedary, Nicely done, very nicely done. Spareribs already mentioned it, but you were in the top half of the womens field, so I don't think you can use that "I'm not that fast" line. The line you can use is "I ran a marathon". And you ran it nicely considering the weather conditions during the race. Also, I really enjoyed reading your RR. I don't know that much about L.A. (just what I see on the news), your report put a human side to the city. Sounds like a fun marathon and city. Thanks for sharing your race experience with us. Paul
    Hi Paul, Thanks! That means alot coming from you, since you did The Goofy Challenge very recently (my friend and fellow LA marathoner Keith did Goofy too). I see you scratched on a race...are you ok?
      Linda, Congratulations on finishing a tough marathon and with more wimmins' behind you than were in front of youSmile I have a love/hate relationship with LA but there are some aspects of LA that you just can't get iin very many marathons! I love that it is a Big Block Party.... no matter where you are in the pack there's always someone cheering you on! I watched the coverage on TV and then switched over to the live web feed of the finish line and even after 9 hours there was a steady stream of finishers with lots of folks cheering them on! You did good! Jim
        Congratulations on a really strong showing. You were far from last and clearly had an incredible experience. It's not always about the time or placement stats, but about the journey along the way. Yours was impressive and I hope I'll be able to cheer for you in person some day. Way to go! CNYrunner
        pfriese

I see you scratched on a race...are you ok?
          Doing fine. Just a scheduling conflict. Thanks for the concern. Paul
          btb1490

A race that's a block party more than makes up for anything negative about it! I loved your report, and am very impressed at how you handled the conditions and how you were feeling out there, doing what you had to do to perservere to the end. You were right on the edge, but came through strong at the finish. Kudos to you on a job well done, and to your husband for his support. Smile
              Race support was great! The crowds were very enthusiastic and helpful. There were plenty of water, Gatorade, fruit and pretzels on the course, mostly in the poorer neighborhoods than the richer ones. The LA Fire Department took good care of us, turning on fire hydrants when it got warm, and quickly tending to the hurt and heat exhausted.
              Congratulations on your race, and thanks for posting a great report. Your above quote seems to say it all!

Leslie
              Living and Running Behind the Redwood Curtain
              -------------

Trail Runner Nation

Sally McCrae-Choose Strong

Bare Performance

Marathon Maniac #957

Sounds like a great experience, and you did a great job in spite of the heat (oh how I would just love some of that heat about this point in our winter, though). Roses at the finish are the best touch!

Life is a headlong rush into the unknown. We can hunker down and hope nothing hits us or we can stand tall, lean into the wind and say, "Bring it on, darlin', and don't be stingy with the jalapenos."

Dromedary, you sound like a woman who knows how to have fun and I certainly hope after reading this report that I have the opportunity to find out for myself some day. I love your attitude and your comment about "enjoying the circus." It certainly seems that the LaLa Marathon lived up to just that. Great job pushing through the discomfort. I'm sure I'd have melted in that kind of weather. Also, I disagree that "you'll never qualify for Boston." I firmly believe that most experienced runners, with consistent training and putting in the necessary mileage, can do it. You're already experienced and still a young'un, so you have lots of time if you decide to go for it one day. Smile

50 halfs by age 50

Great RR! congrats on your fabulous finish!

*Mel* //  "A lot of people run a race to see who's the fastest. I run to see who has the most guts." - Steve Prefontaine

That sounds like one tough race, Dromedary. Glad to see that you finished intact and did well in your gender and AG standings.

Doug, runnin' cycling in Rochester, MI

"Think blue, count two, and look for a red shoe"

Thanks tselbs, fatozzig, Holly, chimera, and rochrunner (hope you get better and find a good doc)! CNYrunner and btb1490, many thanks too! I'm from New York and sometimes visit my aunt in Queens, so maybe someday we'll get to meet and race together. I'm particularly interested in doing a race upstate so let me know if there is anything in the Catskills. I haven't been back there in years and would love to have a reason to see those rolling hills again. Paul, glad you are OK Big grin SLOJim, I'm amazed you did this race several times. I can understand the love/hate thing. I just hope the group that owns this race changes the course to a loop so we can do it together (meaning I see you for 5 seconds at the start as you disappear into the crowd) Soundrunner, I gotta pick one of the marathons you've done since they sound like they're in much cooler weather. As for me BQing, maybe when I'm alot older Wink
                        SteveP

Simply finishing is a hard earned victory. Yopu ran a good race. Thanks for the RR

SteveP