Masters Running

Tuesday's Daily, 3.10.15 (Read 35 times)

coastwalker

Mornin' everyone!

Too much to comment on from yesterday, and not enough time. Speaking of time, DW and I don't have enough time to clean as often as we should. We should hire some help, but haven't.

Take care of that hand, Twocat.

"HI!" to everyone else.

Just a scootch over 6 RW miles at 4 o'dark this morning. Thankfully, there was still some moon high in the sky to help light my way. There was some ice by the side of the roads from yesterday's melting, but I managed to avoid most of it. Seeing as we still have 4' piles along most roads, it's going to be a mess for a while. OK - gotta get going to a morning-long meeting. Then I have to vote, since today is the day we vote on our town's budget, and 48 other warrant articles. The Conservation Commission has 4 of those articles, so wish me luck.

Keep smiling; have a greta day!

Jay

Without ice cream there would be darkness and chaos.

Mariposai

Good morning Jay, I just have to come here to say thank you to you for your morning  recaps and starting the daily for us. You are just awesome.

No running yet, but will do speed workout tonight.

Have a fabulous day my friends.

"Champions are everywhereall you need is to train them properly..." ~Arthur Lydiard

lamerunner

Good morning

I ran about 6.5 around town.  Ice on the side of the road plus traffic created some challenges.  Supposed to get mild this afternoon.

This time of year, we have almost no time for cleaning.  We finally hired someone to come every other week and it is much better.  It had been years, and Spring was always a big cleaning time.

Happy Tuesday!

On cleaning, I've always claimed to my DW that guys just plain can't see dust -- anyone back me up on this? However, she got her (unintentional) revenge yesterday. I was going to wash her car in the driveway and she asked if she could run some errands in my (newish) car that I had just hand-washed for the first time and got sparkling. I told her not to worry about getting it a little splashed up since we do have a lot of snow-melt happening. But I couldn't believe it when she got back and it almost looked like I hadn't washed it. Even the windshield was dirty again. She apologized and I let it go at that, but jeez!

We certainly picked the right time to get back from our travels. The weather was horrid when we were gone and then broke just as we got back. The past couple of days it's been sunny and pushing 50. This morning it was cloudy and mid-30s when I set out for what I hoped would be a local 4-miler. Unfortunately, as I was afraid of, yesterday's melt water was frozen in many spots on the roads and sidewalks and I had to do a lot of walking, then took a shortcut for 3.25 total. I was also overdressed, having forgotten that I can dress a lot lighter at this time of year in the same conditions that would have had me bundled up in November.

Doug, runnin' cycling in Rochester, MI

"Think blue, count two, and look for a red shoe"

Marathon Maniac #957

Howdy gang,

Twocat - Yikes!  I'm glad you got away from the dogs.

I am back in the office today.  I stayed home yesterday but put in nearly 10 hours of work anyway (although I did take a half-hour nap).  I am just buried right now with so many deadlines that I can't really bear to take a sick day.

We, too, are very suddenly getting mild weather, 49 degrees yesterday and 51 today.  Friday we had 10 inches of snow on the ground and today it is almost all gone.  I saw tulips poking up!

I did 30 minutes today on the bike trainer, and when I got off the bike I walked like a sailor for a few minutes, my legs were so numb.  Maybe I have it set too tight, or maybe I just need to get used to it.  Anyway, I did 20 minutes of weights and core afterward, and felt good about getting some exercise.

Life is a headlong rush into the unknown. We can hunker down and hope nothing hits us or we can stand tall, lean into the wind and say, "Bring it on, darlin', and don't be stingy with the jalapenos."

Holly - I always feel a little wobbly after getting of the bike/trainer.  It's almost like my legs have to find their equilibrium after doing around in a circle for so long.  Sounds like you're feeling somewhat better.

Tammy - Thanks for the link re the blender.  I also need to hit up a few stores and see who offers what at what price.

Steve - Hope your DW is feeling better soon.

My 6 this a.m. were supposed to be EZ, but since I got a late start, they ended up being steady and probably faster than what even the steady should have been.  Tomorrow's 4 will have to be EZ.

There's a thread over in the Forums re how to correct leaning backward when trying to run faster.  This is a big problem for me, as is reaching with my leg instead of pushing when I get tired.  I find that in both instances, I really have to concentrate on the correct form, which (unbelievably ) always makes my running feel easier, more fluid, and puts less stress on my lower back.  I wish that magic cleaning wand could make me do all this automatically.

Leslie
              Living and Running Behind the Redwood Curtain
              -------------

Trail Runner Nation

Sally McCrae-Choose Strong

Bare Performance

King of PhotoShop

When the Saint and I got married in '85 I said to her, "I love to cook and you don't.  Here's the deal. I'll cook every meal we eat.  You just keep the place clean."  It's worked for almost 30 years now.  Our house is immaculate. Don't know how good the chow is, but she and Hudson are eating it so it must be okay.

We got 8 miles in at the Park. It's overcast, low 50's and now clearing up, so good weather ahead.  Spareribs

Mike E

MM #5615

On cleaning, I've always claimed to my DW that guys just plain can't see dust -- anyone back me up on this? 

What's dust?

Just a quick post. Thank you for the well wishes for my hand.  It is coming along. No doubt it will take weeks to fully heal. But the wound has stopped weeping. No running for me today. Tomorrow morning if all goes well either 11 or 14. It depends on what time I get up.

Live like you are dying not like you are afraid to die.

Drunken Irish Soda Bread and Irish Brown Bread this way -->  http://allrecipes.com/cook/4379041/

MM#209 / JapanJoyful#803

What's a person supposed to do when they stop in the 7-11 after the daily morning exercise routine at Osaka Castle and they are all out of his favorite seaweed-flavored potato chips?  why, of course, just try one of season's new offerings - octopus potato chips, complete with little bits of rusty-rose colored tenacles.

This morning exercise routine has been on tv or 50 or 60 years now over here.  It features three supple young ladies in pink, yellow and blue leotards, respectively, and one just-as-pretty lassie in a chair doing a modified version in case there are any old or otherwise challeneged  people watching.  However, even in those days when I first saw it, I couldn't touch, stretch and bend as they did and eschewed the ten-minute program as too discouraging and kind of worthless anyway compared to all-day skiing, mountain-climbing, hiking, even a once-a-year marathons, etc.

However, now that I can do it at the castle with similarly-aging elderlies who can't touch their toes either, I've taped them and intend to continue every morning when I get back, I hope even into the future when my marathon days are a distant memory, if ever.  There, now that I've said it, maybe I'll do it.  I hope so.

"Enjoy yourself. Your younger days never come again." 100yo T. Igarashi to me in geta at top of Mt. Fuji (8/2/87)

wildchild

Carolyn

However, now that I can do it at the castle with similarly-aging elderlies who can't touch their toes either, I've taped them and intend to continue every morning when I get back, I hope even into the future when my marathon days are a distant memory, if ever.  There, now that I've said it, maybe I'll do it.  I hope so.

So if you say something out loud here, then you'll do it?  Okay, then.  Could be dangerous.  You prompted me to go ahead and register for a 50k in June that I've been on the fence about.  Thanks, I think?   Anyone want to join me?  It's called the North Fork 50, June 27, Pine, Colorado.  I'd be willing to pick anyone up at the airport, give you lodging at my house, and drive you to and from the race.  Who's in?

I'm also probably going to do the Moab Trail marathon again on November 7th.  Registration is open now, although it doesn't sell out right away, so no rush.  I can also offer to pick anyone up at the airport, give you lodging at my house, and drive you to and from the race.  Who's in?   It's spectacular!

I ran 6.5 muddy miles this afternoon in shorts and long sleeved shirt.  Great run.

I hammered down the trail, passing rocks and trees like they were standing still.

So if you say something out loud here, then you'll do it?  Okay, then.  Could be dangerous.  You prompted me to go ahead and register for a 50k in June that I've been on the fence about.  Thanks, I think?   Anyone want to join me?  It's called the North Fork 50, June 27, Pine, Colorado.  I'd be willing to pick anyone up at the airport, give you lodging at my house, and drive you to and from the race.  Who's in?

I'm also probably going to do the Moab Trail marathon again on November 7th.  Registration is open now, although it doesn't sell out right away, so no rush.  I can also offer to pick anyone up at the airport, give you lodging at my house, and drive you to and from the race.  Who's in?   It's spectacular!

I ran 6.5 muddy miles this afternoon in shorts and long sleeved shirt.  Great run.

The Moab Half looks interesting, however I will have very little vacation time left by then after the summer. Maybe next year.  Is always a Saturday race?  Frontier airlines has great prices to Denver from Sioux Falls.  I actually don't have any "A" races at all since I am still getting back into running.

Wow, was it gorgeous today and gets better and better for the rest of the week. I mistakenly thought it was 74F but then realized that was the car thermastat    It did get up to 61 but was a bit windy at 15mph.  I will take running in the sunshine any day. Around the lake for the first time in four months, woo hoo! When my foot started hurting I concentrated on my form and all the running books I have read.  What helps me the most is the 3:2 breathing pattern, inhale 3 steps:exhale 2 steps. Actually, This morning I wrote these goals in my running log:

• Build up stamina to run around the lake
                          • strengthen foot
                          • swim 6 laps without stopping

I guess I will be at the pool tomorrow.  Goodnight now. I only woke up once last night but then, I went to sleep 2 hours later.

“Courage is not defined by those who fought and did not fall, but by those who fought, fell, and rose again.” — Adrienne Rich

Mariposai

Moab is still on my list, but the kiddos have to finish college first .

Starruns, my mom did the same with the cleaning lady. Good luck at the pool tomorrow.

Holly, hurray...you are able to start exercising again! Butterfly hugs my dear friend.

Twocat, be careful with the dogs tomorrow.

Spareribs, enjoy the kiddo at home! I so admire your family, btw.

Today was a speed work day for me. 8 miles total, including 8x800m @ the following times:

3:57 with one minute interval each,

3:56

3:55

3:54

3:52

3:53

3:51

Yes, I am very happy with the results.

"Champions are everywhereall you need is to train them properly..." ~Arthur Lydiard

MM#209 / JapanJoyful#803

3:57 with one minute interval each,

3:55

3:54

3:52

3:53

3:51

wow, I once saw a bunch of sub-fours on my lap watch once,

. . . when I lent it to a friend

"Enjoy yourself. Your younger days never come again." 100yo T. Igarashi to me in geta at top of Mt. Fuji (8/2/87)

SteveP

Ready for the tulips up here!

Thank you Leslie.

You are a heck of an inspiration Tet.

Wow Mariposai!

2.5 muddy slushy miles. Just the way I like it.

A FB friend posted her daughter's homework.It's shared with her permission

SteveP