Masters Running

I wish I was a better runner (Read 62 times)

Mike E

MM #5615

I work very hard at being a better runner.  That's what makes it fun for me.  I may not be as fast as I once was...but I can still be a better runner.  It's the mental side that I struggle with.  If I can look back after I complete my race and know that I gave it everything I had--and was able to fight through the times when I wanted to back off--that's when I feel good about my race...and then I go back to working hard to be an even better runner.  I'm not sure I will ever be satisfied with the runner that I am.

SubDood

I work very hard at being a better runner.  ...  I'm not sure I will ever be satisfied with the runner that I am.

I wish I was a better runner. I wish that someday, my son will enjoy running a marathon with me. I wish that the local high school team let me run with and inspire their xc runners. I wish that my encouragement of another runner during a race helped them achieve their goal, even if it meant missing my own goal. If I can do these things, I will consider myself a better runner. Anyone know someone like that?

MM#209 / JapanJoyful#803

It didn’t have anything to do with having a good time, . . at least in the faster sense but, in 2002, after 25 years of running at least one marathon a year, I became a better runner when I learned that the heel-striking mandates for slow runners in those days were wrong and it’s possible to run a comfortable seven or more hour marathon, even 12-15 hour ultras, without a single heel strike.  viva la mid/fore-foot running.

"Enjoy yourself. Your younger days never come again." 100yo T. Igarashi to me in geta at top of Mt. Fuji (8/2/87)

...like one of the Ultra Runners once said ''Running is Too Important to Take It Seriously''

================

I was never Fast,

I was never able to do a Marathon.

and there have been Runners who did it more than my 42-years.

........but you won't ever find one that  Loved Doing It More......

...............Run with What You Got.......

..nothing takes the place of persistence.....

I was never Fast,

I was never able to do a Marathon.

........but you won't ever find one that  Loved Doing It More......

You're the best, Tom. Thanks for being a part of this forum.

coastwalker

Without ice cream there would be darkness and chaos.

Mike E

MM #5615

I agree...

and thanks, SubDood.

BTY

This might no longer have relevance, but I run to have a better life.   Recently I quit running for a while to have a better life. Being a better runner became a conflict with having a better life - for now.   When I lace them back up again it'll be for the right reasons. And I do love running, but I love other things more.  

C-R

+1

"He conquers who endures" - Persius
                    "Every workout should have a purpose. Every purpose should link back to achieving a training objective." - Spaniel

http://ncstake.blogspot.com/

an amazing likeness

I'll probably give you an answer that none else on this site will. To me, being a better runner means you enjoy running and look forward to your runs and races regardless of your speed. Of course, I'm speaking as an 80 year old. I used to be fast; but the last few years my speed has diminished regardless of my mileage and training. Of course, those nasty injuries and age related problems (arthritis, etc.) have contributed. Yet, running remains a passion and if you can tell me a year from now that you're having fun running then you're a "better" runner.

I find myself seeking this reply out at odd times. Thank you Henrun.

Acceptable at a dance, invaluable in a shipwreck.

Mariposai

What a great thread!!!

Thanks Milk Truck.

I will be back with my answer. Right now, I am pondering Smile

"Champions are everywhereall you need is to train them properly..." ~Arthur Lydiard

Tramps

What a great thread!!!

Thanks Milk Truck.

+1

I had missed this the first time around.

Be safe. Be kind.

dg.

Where's the "like" button?

+1