Masters Running

3.6.13 Hump Day Daily (Read 43 times)

New skirt in town

6.8 ez-pz miles this morning.  Nothing fancy.  We are expecting either 12 inches of snow or 0.5 inches of snow tomorrow.

NO  MO MELANOMA! Help me run 26.2 miles and raise $5000 for the Melanoma Foundation of NE.  Visit this page to learn more:  http://tinyurl.com/NO-MO-MELANOMA

OrangeMat

MM #6177

Good for you, Jay! I ditched my custom orthotics almost a year ago, and [knock wood] haven't had a single issue related to that since.

The scene with the Baby Ruth bar, right C-R? Yes, I just had to say it, I know. Clown

Stumpy, I hope you got into NJ ok today. More so, I hope you waved to me!

Dave, here's to that ever-changing "new normal", and the awkward reassurance that (doesn't) bring. Hang in there, and good to see you running again.

Twocat has an app that will change a 14-mile run into an 11-miler? Wow, that's even better than Wildchild's running relativity formulas! Formulae?

Leslie, sorry to hear your longtime running partner is moving away. I've forever been looking for someone to be my consistent running partner... it's a bit of a commute, but maybe we could run together some time? Wink

My run almost didn't happen, because we had Tramps' weather forecasted for today, plus I was really tired last night. Seems we're getting it tomorrow now, which is fine with me, since tomorrow is my rest day. And I got a really solid night's sleep for a change, so I was glad to take advantage of the dry day. So it was my PCR today, 10 miles total, with 8 miles at tempo as follows: 8:43, 8:35, 8:32, 8:21, 8:30, 8:33, 8:39, 8:26. HR was slightly higher than last week, but the average pace was close to 15 seconds faster, so I guess all in all it was a good run. Was a bit overdressed, so that might've influenced things. 43F with 16 mph, that's shorts/skort weather for me now, who knew?

Running club monthly meeting tonight, where the speaker is a massage therapist, and a local coach will discuss ways of incorporating speedwork into your training. Thank you NO, I'm staying home. Smile

Marathon Maniac #957

Jay – I have always been suspicious of inserts and orthotics.

Dave – never hurts to get things checked.

Twocat – highway robbery, those hotel wifi charges!

OM – awesome run

8 miles for me this morning on the TM at 10:10.

We got 8" of snow overnight, which is a lot for here, so schools were closed.  DD had an ortho appt that was going to take up most of the morning, so I called my boss and asked if could work from home this afternoon, so partly PTO and partly workday.

Here, you can see our basketball hoop (filled with snow) that DD broke Monday and tried to fix with duct tape...

Life is a headlong rush into the unknown. We can hunker down and hope nothing hits us or we can stand tall, lean into the wind and say, "Bring it on, darlin', and don't be stingy with the jalapenos."

Marathon Maniac #957

Here's my little cherry tree:

Life is a headlong rush into the unknown. We can hunker down and hope nothing hits us or we can stand tall, lean into the wind and say, "Bring it on, darlin', and don't be stingy with the jalapenos."

OrangeMat

MM #6177

Here's my little cherry tree:

How cute!

Stay safe in all that snow...

wildchild

Carolyn

Beautiful pictures, Holly!  Looks like you got the nice kind of snow, not the slushy kind Tramps got.

Nice 10 miler, OM!  I also ran 10 today, but not nearly as fast as you!   Beautiful day here in Colorado, mid 40's and sunny.     The county dirt roads are pretty dry, with only a few muddy patches.  Our road is a slushy mess (we don't plow as well as the county, so it takes longer to dry out) but I cheated and drove up to the gate so I could avoid our road.

Good luck to those of you getting more snow, and especially to those of you trying to travel today!   We're due for more snow on Saturday,  just in time for my last long run.  I'm hoping I can do it Friday instead.

I hammered down the trail, passing rocks and trees like they were standing still.

MM#209 / JapanJoyful#803

I ditched my custom orthotics almost a year ago

Running club monthly meeting tonight, where the speaker is a massage therapist, and a local coach will discuss ways of incorporating speedwork into your training. Thank you NO, I'm staying home. Smile

me too, .... .23 years ago.

ps: I'm don't, if I did, wouldn't the speedwork, fartleks,etc. training be good to know?

ps to holly: all that snow and no skis?

ps to tramps - fun makin' big snowmen out of the wet stuff and seein' how long they last after everthing else melts.

====================

Well, after missing all my planned runs since 1/12/13 when I was so far away from everything that’s been going on around here that it didn’t matter what I did <<<(marathon/marathon)>>>, last Sunday’s Hot Chocolate 15 K was so much fun I signed up for the 3/17 St. Pat’s 4-mile Dash on the same Seattle Center – Aurora Bridge route.

Anyone  else interested?  <<<(divechief/enke/etc.)>>>

"Enjoy yourself. Your younger days never come again." 100yo T. Igarashi to me in geta at top of Mt. Fuji (8/2/87)

OrangeMat

MM #6177

ps: I'm don't, if I did, wouldn't the speedwork, fartleks,etc. training be good to know?

I already have a coach, who is always giving me recommendations for reading material on the hows and whys of training. She doesn't just instruct, she teaches. Plus I also have all of you here. Smile

King of PhotoShop

Arthur Lydiard wrote two books, "Running to the Top" and "Running with Lydiard" (co-written with Gilmour), and the second book was based on demand to figure out what Lydiard was talking about in his first book. People wanted more detail, the secret sauce.

If there is one thing that bores me to tears it's when someone says, "I'm doing the Runners World 18 week plan and it calls for a tempo run of X plus Y pace and my foot hurts."

Because you can't throttle people by the neck online, I just wish people would read Lydiard. All the books, Higdon, Pfitzinger et al, are based on his original premises, tried to translate him with their own brand (Pfitzinger is particularly annoying with his "science" and Vdot stuff)  but after all of this effort and personal branding and new spins on training no one has ever proved him wrong.

When someone posts, "I'm reading Lydiard," I think maybe we will have someone who gets it.

Try to imagine this scenario.  You live in a very small town in the midwest for example.  There is a local running coach.  Based on his work with his runners, three of them go to the Olympics and win medals!  Murray Halberg, Barry Magee and the much more famous Peter Snell. How can that possibly have happened?

If you are non-competitive and happy with where you are, or if you are a triathlete, Marathon Maniac, 50-stater, disregard this post, but if you want to run the fastest marathon you can, for heaven's sake read Lydiard.  Spareribs

Pretty little cherry tree Holly -- I hope we don't get a ton of that white stuff here tho!!  Bring on Spring!!

Jay - I was trying to wear the A-line orthotics in my work shoes more often, but I think they make my feet feel worse instead of better so too those out too!!  I do have Superfeet inserts in my new running sneakers and have to say I love those - hope that continues!!

Posai - can't believe you were shut out of that race - hate when that happens!Angry

OM - strong run!!  Are you sure you don't want one of the remaining 2 numbers for Boston for the Matty Eappen Foundation?  j/k - i know you have awesome marathon plans in place!!

Did intervals today for the first time in a long time and they felt great - 1 mile warm up, then .25 mile pickups followed by .25 mile recovery x 8 sets, finished with  another mile+ for a total of 6.2 in 56:20  -  Strange weather from start to finish .... getting dressed - raining, start of run - dry, hard icy rain/hail in the middle, crazy winds, almost sunny ..... gotta love it!!

mta:  towards the end of my run I was about to run by 2 recycling bins that had tipped over due to the wind and the cardboard boxes were all over the street ..... I just couldnt run by them, my conscience just wouldn't let me, so I stopped my run and put all the boxes back in the bins - wonder if they stayed upright until the recycling trucks came around!  Roll eyes

denise