Masters Running

Sunday runs and hangovers? (Read 568 times)

Well I did my early morning Sunday run today as well but headed off right afterwards with DW and three of our 4 kids and 5 of our grandchildren to select and cut down our Christmas trees. We had a ball but it was a long day! Maybe I'll post some photos later if I get the time. I never noticed the second post yesterday as DW and I headed out right after I posted to pick up three of our grandsons to spend the day with them....what a ball....but boy were we beat by late last night! Sunday - 8.15 miles - 1:08:59 - 8:28 - Avg HR 127 Max HR 139 - 31 degrees and light snow. Hey Tim...wonderful gesture on your part, some luck lady out there really is missing out. Wink
      Timbo you are very kind, you certainly did make her day, as well as everyone here. Big grin TomS your running is fine, keep it going. There's nothing wrong with slowing down. I started slowing down 6 years ago after a rash of injuries. I''m still waiting for some speed to comeback Roll eyes but in the meantime I'm happy with 25-35 miles per week at paces that would have embarrassed me in my early 40's. Several of my running partners through the years quit because they couldn't handle the mental part of slowing down. Sad

Courage ! Do one brave thing today...then run like hell.

Teresadfp

One day at a time

Tim, your story made my day! What a great idea. 7.1 miles yesterday, and 4.0 today - it was 31 degrees, and light snow was falling. I love this time of year! Afterwards, DH, our 3 kids, and I went to the tree farm that's only 3 miles from our house (I run by it sometimes). We let DS13 pick out the tree (I had veto power, though!), and made him try to cut it down with a bowsaw (they wouldn't let DH use his power saw). A lot of laughter and fun! It dawned on me that next year will be the last time that DS16 will be around to help us pick the tree, unless we wait closer until Christmas. Ack!
        Mariposai

11 miles in sunny 45degrees. I am pleased that I was able to get up to 40 miles this week even with all the traveling we did. I guess running helped me to cope with things.

"Champions are everywhereall you need is to train them properly..." ~Arthur Lydiard

6 miles in about an hour in sunny and 14 degrees this afternoon. Waited til this afternoon to let the wind die down. Dressed perfect for the first time this winter. An enjoyable winter run. A little challanging on the road shoulders today with the recent snow. Thus the slow time. Erika, Frost bit chin Shocked Hope it was just a nip. I have been wanting to ask what kind of socks you wear. Of all the people I know you should be the expert on keeping the toes comfy. Ribs, Sounds like your coming back strong. Glad to see you posting more often. I am inpressed with your fortitude and also your times concidering where you were a few months ago. Good luck on your coeback and you will be able to kick my %^%$ real soon. Good runs everyone Larry

Chumbawamba: I get knocked down But I get up again You're never going to keep me down

Renee the dog

Tim, So I told my husband your Walmart story while we were eating dinner. He asked, in all seriousness, "So, you're not going to wear you wedding ring to Walmart this week, are you?" Clowning around In all seriousness, just wanted to say: WELL DONE!

GOALS 2012: UNDECIDED

GOALS 2011: LIVE!!!

wildchild

Carolyn

Tim, you sure have a big heart! What a kind thing to do. My cinnamon/chili powder coffee cake tasted great! And DD and I had an awesome day skiing/ snowboarding. It was warm (upper 30's) and not too windy, and it's been snowing every day, so the snow was in great condition. We had a blast. My legs feel much less wasted than last weekend - I'm not sure why, since one time out isn't enough to get in skiing shape. I ran 10 miles yesterday, and I also ran 10 miles the day before my first day skiing, so not sure why I felt so much better today but I'll take it! Any of you plan to come skiing in Colorado this winter?

I hammered down the trail, passing rocks and trees like they were standing still.

Marathon Maniac #3309

Tim, So I told my husband your Walmart story while we were eating dinner. He asked, in all seriousness, "So, you're not going to wear you wedding ring to Walmart this week, are you?" Clowning around In all seriousness, just wanted to say: WELL DONE!
                  nono, that is too funny..and prolly true for most people....DON'T wear your ring around TimBo, at Walmart. Tet, 8 days..that is chump change fella....I am confused, did you run or not?? If not, it's me and you buddie...and I am in for 90 days buddie...can you deal with that... Taper Timbo

Running has given me the courage to start, the determination to keep trying, and the childlike spirit to have fun along the way - Run often and run long, but never outrun your Joy of running!

evanflein

Larry, yes it's just a "nip," already feeling better. And I wear "smartwool" socks in the winter. The ones made for hiking. They seem to do just fine, and my feet never get cold even at -20 temps. The key is to keep moving...! 14 miles on the treadmill today after shoveling snow for almost an hour. I was sweaty when I started my run! I was so tempted to quit at 11.55 miles... that's how far I got in 99 minutes which is the max time I can set at a time on my treadmill. But I figured I'd be mad at myself later if I quit then, so set it to go another 30 minutes till I got to 14 miles (8:37 avg pace), then walked till the timer ran down to zero. Glad I did it, but also very glad it's done. My first 40+ mile week (44.5 to be exact) in a long time. Feels good, but I'm ready for a rest day or something...
                      Another late in the day post for me, and I'm so tired, I just skimmed through today's thread. But I do want to say, Tim: Class act. Hopefully, at some point, whether big or small, she pays it forward. This doesn't constitute a race report, but just general info about today's race. If everything went really well, my goal was to finish in 4 hours (with fingers crossed). My realistic goal was 4.5 hours. I finished around 3:52!! I forgot to turn off my Garmin, and it read 3:55:??. Finished in under 4 hours! Woop woop!! I am definitely going to do this run again. Gorgeous terrain (if you like the desert), perfect weather, overcast and cool. Just about everything when perfect. Now I'm off to beddy bye time. We have to get up around 4:00 a.m. if we're going to make it back up north in one day. Later!

Leslie
                      Living and Running Behind the Redwood Curtain
                      -------------

Trail Runner Nation

Sally McCrae-Choose Strong

Bare Performance

MM#209 / JapanJoyful#803

Tet, 8 days..that is chump change fella....I am confused, did you run or not?? If not, it's me and you buddie...and I am in for 90 days buddie...can you deal with that...
                        - eight days into December taper timmy. I can go until 3/8 if necessary. we'll show 'em. ps - have you tried smart wools? ziggie - that's the kind of running I'd be wanting to do if I wanted to run instead of winter taper with timmy. however, somehow I thought 50K but can't find blog or on ilene's Intrepid list. what's next?

"Enjoy yourself. Your younger days never come again." 100yo T. Igarashi to me in geta at top of Mt. Fuji (8/2/87)

Leslie.....WhooHoo!! Timmy....that made my day!! Maybe it's just me, but I was more impressed that you helped entertain her kids during checkout time than the $$, although I am sure she was stunned by both. Having not too long ago been with two toddlers...I can tell you, not everyone out there has nearly as much patience and sympathy for toddler temperments. (especially when waiting in a customs line for three hours at the airport!) Yesterday my planned LR of 12 turned into a short 3.5 mile run....just couldn't do it....too tired and unmotivated with the wind and rain. Today it was about 43F, no rain. I did 6 x 1/2 mile intervals, with 2 min walk breaks....it's been awhile, and maybe this was too soon after that hard tempo I did on Friday, but anyhow, I aimed for 8 and managed 6 ok. I knew I couldn't do two more at the same pace so I stopped. 2 mile w/u @ 11:44 4:04 (8:06) 3:57 (7:54) 3:56 (7:53) 3:58 (7:56) 4:00 (8:01) 3:59 (7:57) 3 mile c/d @ 10:56 8 miles total.

"During a marathon, I run about two-thirds of the time. That's plenty." - Margaret Davis, 85 Ed Whitlock regarding his 2:54:48 marathon at age 73, "That was a good day. It was never a struggle."