Masters Running

40s On the Run - Hi! (Wk Ending 10/19/08) (Read 424 times)

Ultrachick

Hey All! Cool video Jim! That's going to be Jack and I in February-there isn't cable on our road and we don't have a dish. Good to see everyone doing well forthe most part. Cindy-take care of that ankle and don't feel bad if Doug somehow accidently trips over you icing it or something Evil grin Go Jewels and Carol on your halfs! Jim-glad the corn seems to be surviving. We had some snow here yesterday and the tops of the mountains are white today. The farmers were haying the fields next to our house this evening. Jack go to race them through the field. Arla-don't envy you being on your feet so much. I'm sure you're wearing good shoes. Leslie-good news on your assessment. I'm waiting for my IT band to get better before I have my VO2 done again. Hi Stevie-I didn't really get either how you explained the quote thing-just use the little button and keep posting and modifying until you get it right. I got 8 miles in today as well as some weights and soft tissue work done by my PT. I'm getting better-it's just going to take patience which I don't have. School is going well. I feel like I've been slacking this week so I'll have lots to catch up on this weekend. I managed to pi-- off my ex today too which I'm rather proud of. I didn't even have to try too hard-I think he was grumpy to begin with. The conversation ended when he hung up on me Smile That's it-I'm beat, been up since 5am. See ya!
    If you never go fast, you'll never go fast.

Top 'O the World!

..... I'm getting better-it's just going to take patience which I don't have........ I managed to pi-- off my ex today too which I'm rather proud of. I didn't even have to try too hard- Big grin Big grin!
      Hmmm, I'm resemble these remarks! Big grin glad the rest of it is coming along! Wink Funny video Jim! "wa, wa, wa, dot..." we're "command central" around here... Roll eyes Doug has scaled us back to two remotes per TV....I'm still trying to figure that out!...satellite, computers, Blackberries, Blue-tooth, Garmin, ipod.... Stevie Ray: What you doin' splainin technical stuffs to wimmin!? Yay! Jewels & Carol!! Anybody else on deck?? Bueller? Jim? {{{{{{Arla's feet!}}}}}}} I hope you're wearing good shoes! Leslie: interesting tests...saw some on a TV program...group of non-athletes training for Boston...they did a before & after set of tests...one of their 'desk jockey' runners turns out to be a "natural athlete" & one of them got a "caution" from the med staff - I think she had blips in her cardiac readings....though eventually, she was able to train & run it....just took more time/patience than some of the others... Okay, guess I can back off of Doug a little bit...he now confesses that his right knee is a little annoyed since the race..(he had to say something as he's not limping or anything)....has had intermittent "crunchies" in that knee since attempting to learn snowboarding aided by copious amts of alcohol a few yrs ago....(some folks really have a hard time turning that "40" corner....) and I'm not sure about his decision to run it in his favorite Salomon GTX-3D...I be willing to bet they're mile-aged out...but what do I know!? I spent a goodly chunk of yesterday going through the "lost & found" section of Brightroom for the Denver Marathon....5400 shots in there! found over 100 of the TNT'ers in there...wish it weren't so friggin expensive to get some of them!!! Evil grin It was just cool to see them....& when I took a break from that - I tried to read pieces of my ballot blue book! Roll eyes Dead gawd! I'm almost agreeing w/a friend who says he's just gonna vote "no" on everything cause we already have too many laws & too many taxes - "If WE need to reevaluate where we spend our limited funds, so should government!" not a bad thought!
      Remember that doing anything well is going to take longer than you think!! ~ Masters Group

Queen of 3rd Place

Kelly - 8 miles - looks like things are getting MUCH better. I know 8 mi is nothing to you, but still... Cindy - that was a NOVA program, the whole series in online at http://www.pbs.org/wgbh/nova/marathon/index.html What was interesting was that the "natural" athlete ended up flaking out, and the woman who was really starting from a low fitness level ended up doing the whole deal! re: Shoes - I either wear Dansko clogs or retired running shoes to class. All my physician friends wear Dansko clogs, and these are people who are on their feet 12 hrs at a time. Dead Maybe retired running shoes are not a good idea Confused I'm guessing that it's like anything else, and will take some weeks/months to get used to the increased time. Arla

Ex runner

BRAT!
          Big grin Big grin Big grin Arla - Iit does take time to get used to the standing, if you ever do. In the meantime, take good care of your legs, get massages, maybe wear supportive stockings (ugh, I know, but they work). Jim - Happy to hear things appear to be going well for you guys. Cindy - I hear ya on the voting, except in our case, a couple of "No's" will actually be for whatever is trying to get passed, if that makes sense. I just want all this to finally be over. Very late night due to Bonkos, so no running this a.m. Didn't win any $$. Cry Got my new training schedule yesterday - tomorrow I start my long runs (12 miles) in my new, and hopefully improved, HR range of 140-155 in prep for the 30k in December. I need to study the elevation chart of that thing. Coach says it looks like it's a constant up for the first 15k then down after. Hmmmm. Anyway, will be running with my bud and Coach tomorrow, and she's already "hassling" me about the HR, and how I haven't been running to my full potential, and the pain is only mental . . . I had to remind her that the bod has to get used to the new range. It's not like I'm gonna be able to go out there and go "Hey! Yeah! This works much better!" I'm also the guinea pig for things Coach learned at his coaching certification class, and I'll be running for miles on my long runs as opposed to time, which means my new program takes me all the way up to 17 miles before it starts to taper. Over and over and over the same trails in the Arcata Forest to get to 17 miles Dead . . . I may end up killing somebody. Wink Have a great weekend, gang!

Leslie
          Living and Running Behind the Redwood Curtain
          -------------

Trail Runner Nation

Sally McCrae-Choose Strong

Bare Performance

flatland mountaineer

Ended up with about 5 inches of snow after 0.60 in of rain, roads melted off or rather melted in so a muddy muddy mess. Still some snow in the grassy areas. We drove up a half mile to some trail roads between fields and pastures that were runnable. I did 3.84 just under 12 minute pace but lets just say I had it in 4 wheel drive the whole way. Achilles seemed to do ok ran in my trail shoes again. Pheasant hunting season opens tommorow so that makes runs tommorow a challenge. Maybe go to town if so inclined. Harvest doubtful this weekend. Later gators

The whole world said I shoulda used red but it looked good to Charlene in John Deere Green!!

Support Ethanol, drink the best, burn the rest.

Run for fun? What the hell kind of recreation is that?  quote from Back to the Fut III

jfa

Hi Kids- Too pooped to post much. Real world ( work) has been knocking me out and this marathon training is pretty doggone tough (unless you're Kelly or SR). Crammed all of my weekly mileage (51) into only 4 runs and averaging 53 mpw last 5 weeks. I'm a little tired. Not complaining though. Too much work is a real good thing to have these days and my parts seem to be holding up to the running . One month to go..... Black eye Have a great weekend everyone!

Ultrachick

Went on a short walk/hike with my boys today Nice view today-Charlotte, VT in fore ground, Lake Champlain and Adirondacks in NY Since we're so close to the lake, it's a bit warmer longer and we still have some leaves on the trees. Once you leave this area the trees are bare already. I had to scrape the frost from the windshield this morning-time to park in the garage and think about changing to snow tires. Went for a nice short run this afternoon before the rain comes...... Have a good weekend! Big grin Kelly
                If you never go fast, you'll never go fast.
                  Hey Jo, way to get 'er done in the midst of work pressures! Kelly, nice pics, and good looking boys you got there. Wonder if they realize how lucky they are to have a mom that can keep up with them? Jim, running in the mud ruts eh? Is that some new form of training? Hope things dry out nicely for you. Have I mentioned lately that I LOVE fall? Wow, another perfect running day. 50ish degrees w/ light and variable winds. 7 miles at 10:50 avg pace, followed by a 1.25 mile walk home. The time included a couple of drinking and testing stops/walks. Mile 6 was at 10:18 and mile 7 at 10:39, so feeling pretty good, though woudn't have wanted to go much further. As I was walking through the park on my cooldown, I ran into a nice older fellow I've spoken to before. He asked if all that running helps? I said "well, it helps and it hurts". Off to eat a little breakfast Smile Good runs and rests to you all.
                  Progress Trumps Pefection
                    Morning all..... Great pics Kelly. Taking a hike/walk with your boys.....doesn't get any better than that. Cindy I watched bits and pieces of that Nova episode. Very interesting indeed.....how's that ankle doin'? Woohoo Joe, still getting in them miles. Looks like your job is secure. So many people around here are either losing their jobs or their businesses are really, really slow. Leslie, hope you have a great LR today. I think your new schedule with the longer LR's added is going to make a huge difference in your upcoming races. Arla, standing on your feet is worse then actually moving around on your feet. I see your running is still very consistent. Great job! Jim & Lynda.....here's wishing you guys a great crop. Watch out for those hunters and nice 4 miler you got in there Jim. Loved the video as well......I have to show that one to my husband. Carol, you have about the same mind set as I do about the half. Would love to see a 10 miler before Christmas. If I stay injury free, I don't think it will be a problem. Good luck with your training. So this morning I met up with my sister at Turkey Creek and we ran 5.5 miles on the trails thru the thick vegetation with humidity lingering in the 90's. I swear we lost 5 lbs. each we were sweating so bad. I came home and did another 2.5 in the neighborhood to get in my LR for the week. I'm so proud of my sister.....she's my older sister, 52. She was glad I was there to push her just a tad because she didn't think she'd be able to hang. She did great. We had some great laughs and conversation going. The best part.....no wild hogs! But we were ready.......she carries a small knife in a leather pouch and I always have pepper spray. Off to shower........later guys n' gals........Jewels
                    But in the end, I'm more afraid of not trying, than failing. JJJessee
                      The best part.....no wild hogs! But we were ready.......she carries a small knife in a leather pouch and I always have pepper spray.
                      Dang - Now that's what I call prepared! Glad your run with your sis went so well, Jewels. Maybe one of these days she'll join you in a race. Arla - Great pics. It's nice that you and your boys enjoy doing things together. Joe - Here's to a better week next week, and an easy weekend (pretend I'm lifting a mug of beer to you). Hi-dee Ho to everyone else! Did 12 miles today in 2:52:12 for an average pace of about 14:21. Bill ran with me, which forced me to get out of my comfort zone for almost the entire run. And low and behold! I didn't fall apart! I even ran (albeit slowly) almost all the hills, except for one that's just too steep. We had to climb that sucker 3 times. I'm gonna be a bit sore tomorrow, and my legs are pooped, but it felt really good. Didn't take enough fluids with me, and had to ration quite a bit at the end. That sucked, because it got warm. I ended up taking off my shirt to try and cool down, but couldn't do nothin' about the running tights. Even though they're thin, they were too much after the first hour. Now I'm trying to get enough food in me to make me feel better. Always a struggle for me after a hard run. Hope ya'll have a great weekend ~

Leslie
                      Living and Running Behind the Redwood Curtain
                      -------------

Trail Runner Nation

Sally McCrae-Choose Strong

Bare Performance