Masters Running

Wed Jan 2 (Read 691 times)

Then it's all good. You can take your time and be choosy. Smile
      6 untimed miles.

"During a marathon, I run about two-thirds of the time. That's plenty." - Margaret Davis, 85 Ed Whitlock regarding his 2:54:48 marathon at age 73, "That was a good day. It was never a struggle."

3.5 miles sunny and 19 degrees but I over dressed believe it or not. Squirrly on the roads with loose snow and ice but a good run anyway. Just a pretty winter run day in Michigan. Derrick , I just read your RR from Scotland . I love running in different places. Its the beauty of this sport it can be done just about anyplace. Fast group over there though. Ericka, I just read about your dog. Bummer hope it all works out for the good. Dark Horse, I can't believe no one asked how many adult beverages were involved in that fall. Wink Hope you heal quickly.

Chumbawamba: I get knocked down But I get up again You're never going to keep me down

Cross-training this morning. Shoveling 10" snow from the deck and driveway. I waited until after lunch to go out on snowshoes, hoping the wind would die down. No luck there, so I bundled up and went out for about 90 minutes. Thru the fields and woods surrounding our home. 19 F winds at 25, "windshield" factor = below 0........ Brrrrrrrrrrrrrrr!
            cold and windy here too - think the high was 25 and tomorrow's high expected to be 17 - without wind chill factor so i joined the masses at the gym - 20min elliptical/20min stepmill/20min arc trainor then some core work ericka - hope you find your beautiful dog soon!! derrick - i went to Scotland in March to visit a friend - my runs there were beautiful!! nice race report!! stay warm!!

denise

X-rays today on my left knee area. Results may be back Friday, but I am away Friday-Saturday-Sunday and may not hear till next week. Chess teaching gigs are rolling in: 1. The local elementary school wants me to offer classes in their winter after-school program. 2. This morning I met with the city youth services director and she wants me to offer two classes in their summer program. 3. Tonight I got an email from the city adult education director. In response to my email offering to teach a chess class, she wrote "Yes! Yes!" and attached a proposal form for me to fill out and return. Do you know, I have not asked any of these people what they are paying? I know they all pay something, but I don't really care how much. At least it will pay a few bucks and get me into circulation locally. May lead to other things. In the meantime, it will be fun. Dark Horse
              I'm a dark horse, running on a dark race course.
                4 miles today in 57:37, pace 14:03 (one mile at a speedy 12:34!) on the icebugs, between the snow showers. soft skies, beautiful. healing vibes to the sore knees, ankles, colds, etc, and hoping erika's doggie soon finds its way home, good runs, susan

Hill Runner

Got an email from Bart Yasso. His new book is out. r
                  Thanks for the heads up SR....I had hung out with Bart last year at the Pasta diner for the Thunder Road Marathon in '06. He's a very interesting guy and very down to earth...great running stories. Looking forward to the book... Blustery winds and colder temps tonight...brrrr A late afternoon run as I didn't get up in time to run this morning. 5.29 miles of hills at 8:37 pace...I seem to be running at a noticeably faster pace since my marathon for some reason... Nice runs out there today

Upcoming Races:

Boston Marathon, Boston,MA 04/15/13
                  Grandfather Mountain Marathon,Boone NC 07/14/13
                  Thunder Road Marathon, Charlotte NC 11/13

My 2nd post of the day, as now I've actually run. The previous post was just a teaser. Wink Holly's "speed work" thread inspired me, so I ran tempos tonight. 8 miles total (8:25 overall) with the middle 4 miles at tempo pace - 8:02, 8:05, 7:59 and 7:41. I thought I was running a bit faster, but it is what it is. The temps are dropping like a stone, the humidity is practically non-existent, the wind is howling, so I figured it'd be better to run tonight rather than early tomorrow morning. The chances of wimping out tomorrow are high. Yes Bill

"Some are the strong, silent type. You can't put your finger on exactly what it is they bring to the table until you run without them and then you realize that their steadiness fills a hole that leaks energy in their absence." - Kristin Armstrong

15 degrees but less snow than anticipated, nevertheless I decided on 4 treadmill miles. It was actually 4.1 but I know how Dark Horse hates those fractional miles. Just an easy run today with colder temperatures tomorrow so it may be back to the treadmill for one more day.
                        Who knew Chess teachers were in such high demand?? Go easy on the kids DH. Don't start pelting them with pawns when they are not paying attention... Holly, any reason for 4 20 milers instead of 3?? Curious minds want to know. Good runs all.

"During a marathon, I run about two-thirds of the time. That's plenty." - Margaret Davis, 85 Ed Whitlock regarding his 2:54:48 marathon at age 73, "That was a good day. It was never a struggle."

3.1 miles in 24:30 in 30degrees and wind Temp here is going to drop like a rock for the next couple of days but back to 40-50 for the weekend. DH, have you completed your military service? Hope you have and all is well with your son. Have fun teaching chess. Fran

GreenMan

3 miles easy an inch of snow the last hour of sun. twenty I'd say wind made it ten. some lovers walking didn't know it was cold or didn't care. JJJ
                            Iron Mt. Trail Runners blogsite .... JJJessee blogsite ....Spring is here. Go outside and play.
                              Erika, thinking of you and your family, including Cheyenne. Don't know if this helps, but one of my cats disappeared once for three months and showed up back on my doorstep as if nothing had happened one day. Pets often find their way home. Tramps, my Garmin also refused to turn on for me today for the second time in two weeks. Fully charged, too. What gives? Eventually got in a long run today after a fiasco of a morning. Stopped in at my usual car shop to get a quick opinion on my engine light being on -- guy topped off my coolant and gave me the go ahead -- and as I was backing out, I hit a parked car in the drive of the shop. My car -- an old Volvo -- is fine. The other car -- an old Volvo -- doesn't look as good. Still waiting for a call from the owner. Sad To make a bad car day worse, as I drove home this evening after running errands my engine started smoking... Not sure why I planned a long run the day after a 5k race (because I had to get it in I suppose) but so I did. Ran on one of the few places around here to get in a long trail run without venturing too far -- Lake Youngs, about 20 minutes southeast of town. Each loop around the reservoir is 9.6 miles. The Maniacs around here occasionally hold ultras on this trail. Midway through my first loop I came around a bend and there was a doe looking at me on the other side of the fence, separating the trail from the reservoir. Just standing there. I stopped and said "hey." I swear she wagged her tail at me. Not a flick of her tail, a wag. Then she runs a bit ahead and stops. I ran ahead too. We both look at each other for a few seconds. Then finally she takes off. Cool moments. I saw just one other person and dog on the entire run. The run was a muddy, lead-legged slog, but I enjoyed the solitude. Had a lovely dinner last night with arf, divechief and another friend, but slipped in the bathroom at the restaurant and wrenched my hamstring. (Yes, I am truly graceful. Roll eyes At least I caught myself and didn't fall on my a$$. ) Felt it a bit during the run and need to pamper for a few days now.

Tag

Tricked myself into running 5 miles with it 28F with 11 mph winds. I bundled up with 3 layers above the waist. Pretty nippy for a southern boy like me.