Masters Running

Thursday's Daily, 1.23.14 (Read 39 times)

NHLA

fatozzig   good news.  I hate chewing.  Two broths and a BIL that chew.

I only got back to town yesterday and had not planned to pop in here for what would likely have been another 10 days or so since I leave town again for a week on Saturday.  However . . .

Spareribs I heard about your post yesterday and the diagnosis and wanted to stop by to wish you well.  A dear colleague of mine (an incredibly famous academic) came down with a pretty aggressive prostrate cancer a few years ago.  In his case, they had to remove the prostrate.  He is alive and well today and we have recently started work on a new project together.  I wish you many more years beating both your prostrate cancer and heart disease.

Mike E you might want to prepare to handle the news that you have prostrate cancer.  If you live long enough, and I very much hope you do, you like almost every guy on earth will come down with prostrate cancer.  For better or worse, though, something else will do us in. 

Seeing as I am here, I got up looked at Weather Bug on my cell, saw it was 3° and went to the gym to run on the TM for 11 miles.  I think I may have done permanent brain damage.

Live like you are dying not like you are afraid to die.

Drunken Irish Soda Bread and Irish Brown Bread this way -->  http://allrecipes.com/cook/4379041/

............ went to the gym to run on the TM for 11 miles.  I think I may have done permanent brain damage.

...I love it.........

..nothing takes the place of persistence.....

Marathon Maniac #957

Leslie - great job for your DH!  I never chewed myself, but smoked cigarettes for 15 years, quitting when I got pregnant with DS.  I knew that I would never find a better reason to quit than that.

This morning I stopped on the way to work to get gas.  It was (-1) at that point.  I took off my nice leather glove because I didn't want to make it stinky with gasoline smell and grabbed the metal pump handle and maneuvered it into my car, pausing to find the right button to push to activate the pump.  When I let go, I think I had mild frostbite on my fingers from holding the metal of the handle - my fingers were red and painful for more than an hour afterward.  Made me think of "The Christmas Story"....

Life is a headlong rush into the unknown. We can hunker down and hope nothing hits us or we can stand tall, lean into the wind and say, "Bring it on, darlin', and don't be stingy with the jalapenos."

C-R

Fatozzig - great news on the no chew front. My BIL cheats with dip when we play golf so my SIL won't know. One day she will catch him. He's an ex pro baseball guy and it is so ingrained in that sport. Hard for him to quit. Thankfully my best friends dad made me never want to chew. One day after practice, we asked him if we could try his chew. Of course he said yes. We were 15 at the time. He also told us to leave hi Levi Garret alone and take the Red Man. Well about ten minutes into our new found manhood, we were both hanging over garbage cans. Can't handle the smell of the stuff now. Reminds me I should send him a card.

Stumpy - I have a couple of indoor options on a track. One downtown (not free) and one close to my home (free). Let me know and perhaps we can get that run.

I left Nashville and it was 21. Pulled into the garage and its 2. What happened to the trailing 1?

"He conquers who endures" - Persius
            "Every workout should have a purpose. Every purpose should link back to achieving a training objective." - Spaniel

http://ncstake.blogspot.com/

wildchild

Carolyn

It was 3°F when I got up, but luckily I don't have to run that early if I don't want to.  I waited till mid afternoon when it was 20°F, and ran a nice 10 miles around the neighborhood.    We only got 3" of new snow, less than down in the flatlands for some reason.  We could actually use  more - it's been a pretty dry winter so far - but I know you have to be careful what you wish for!

C-R, that story reminds me of the one and only time I tried a cigarette, when I was about 15.  I inhaled once, and couldn't stop coughing for an hour.  Never was tempted to try again.

Tet, you're an inspiration!  58 marathons in the last 5 years?  Wow.

I hammered down the trail, passing rocks and trees like they were standing still.

Mariposai

1 mile because a mile is better than none.

Off to the planning meeting of the Omak Orchards in Bloom Half Marathon, 10k.

"Champions are everywhereall you need is to train them properly..." ~Arthur Lydiard

Mike E

MM #5615

I never chewed myself

I used to chew my fingernails...but, other than that...me neither...

Yeah, Twocat--I have heard that about prostate cancer--but I don't think I'll handle it well...I'm a baby...

No run, tonight.  I had to pre bowl...man I stunk.

Okay--that's all I got.  See ya!

evanflein

No run for me today, not even a mile. Too much ice, and got home too late to feel any love for the treadmill. We had freezing rain today where we had roads closed, after school activities canceled, some people sent home early, and a general warning to stay off the roads. We got home around 6:30, and while the roads didn't seem too bad, there's a warning for freezing rain starting around 3 a.m. going until noon. I guess we'll get an e-mail by 6:30 about whether campus is open or not.

Holly, doubtful it's frostbite... but you didn't hold the handle the whole time did you? It should lock until filled...

We spread some ice-melt around the top of our driveway this evening. I fell down on the stairs yesterday, and bumped on my butt down three steps. Don't want that to happen again! This warm weather in January really sucks. I'd be perfectly happy with zero to 15° above, but this is ridiculous.

SteveP

I love this group.

. . love that guy . . . . .

me too

SteveP