Masters Running

Post-Christmas Daily, 12.26.12 (Read 373 times)

stumpy77

Trails are hard!

Happy Boxing day, now that it's mostly over.

Actually got to spend some time with DD this afternoon.  Of course most of it involved going out to spend some of the gift cards she got.  Should be fun packing for her flight tomorrow.  good thing Southwest allows two free bags.Wink  Every little bit of time counts. Of course the storm tomorrow may have a little effect.

in trying to avoid any running tomorrwo in what sounds miseerable, I made it out for 5 miles in 22°.  Don't hit the clothing for the temps too often, but today I was cool but comfrotable the whole way.

Need a fast half for late fall.  Then I need to actually train for it.

Spareribs never thought of the fees that way!  Good way to look at it.

shadow runner I find doing run/walk intervals in that kind of cold to be pretty tough.  How do you avoid getting chilled during the walks?  If I am lucky I will probably be on a walk/run/walk regime for a few weeks and was thinking it would all be on a TM.  My walks though are going to be more like a mile instead of 2 minutes or so.

Econo you have the fortitude of a navy seal.  Your DS is very, very lucky to have you as his mom.  Now, why the heck do you want snow?  You live in Oregon!  Right now you have the best of all possible worlds; just drive to someplace with snow and avoid having to deal with it locally!

stumpy77 it is amazing how expensive a "cheap" plane ticket can get once they get done with all of the additional fees.

Baboon let us know how the knuckle lights work out.  Interesting alternative to a headlamp.

evanflein I give how do you overheat in 12° weather?  Confused  Twice in my life I have actually gone out temperatures like that to run (both times in a race) and "overheat" was not something I was concerned about!

Avenger Doggie send some of that smoked pork c/o Twocat . . . Sounds great.  I know others smoke meats in the winter but the thought of all that outdoor babysitting in the cold . . . sigh.

rhoon phast the pictures you post are always stunning!  That and they make me think it is not really so cold here where I live!

Today was my first test run in a couple of weeks.  That meant 1 mile walk then 2 miles running and one last mile walking.  All in the TM seeing as unlike shadow runner I cannot figure out how to dress to do this outside without either freezing during the walk or melting while running.  My ankle felt good during the whole test and feels good now a half day later.  But, as before, I will not really know if I can actually start up again until tomorrow morning.  If the ankle still feels fine after having a full night to stiffen up then I should be good to go!  I so hope that is what happens this no running, no exercise at all that uses my ankle is really getting old.

Live like you are dying not like you are afraid to die.

Drunken Irish Soda Bread and Irish Brown Bread this way -->  http://allrecipes.com/cook/4379041/

evanflein

Twocat, overheating is a real concern because then you really do get chilled. Today it was harder to figure out what to wear because I wanted to go down to the hay fields and it's cold down there! We're at about 900 ft here and it's 7° but it's just over 400 ft at the low point of my run, and it's about -8 or colder there (I found out when I got back) and I could sure feel it get colder as I went down the hill. I'm calling this a "hill" workout again, but really I just ran down to the hay fields, ran around the neighborhood roads there, then came back.

Lots of moose tracks all over down there, but I didn't see any. Another beautiful clear sunny day here, even though the sun has set already. We could see really warm temps this weekend, like above 20!

Glad to hear the ankle is better, TC. You're always so patient with your recovery, it's impressive.

Marathon Maniac #957

{{{Keeping my fingers crossed for Twocat's ankle and Leslie's foot}}}

Life is a headlong rush into the unknown. We can hunker down and hope nothing hits us or we can stand tall, lean into the wind and say, "Bring it on, darlin', and don't be stingy with the jalapenos."

{{{{{RA feet and ankles}}}}}}

Ran 12---almost 13 miles this morning with 7 x long hill repeats and then another 2.8 miles with Hudson at about 6 pm. Had to try out my new headlamp from Mr. CNYrunner---LOVE it! I've been using one that I got years ago that's fine but needs batteries. This one---a black diamond "Sprinter" has a rechargeable battery (USB port) and there's a blinkie light on the back and an awesomely bright LED light at the front, perfect for dog jogs. Hudson has a reflective vest and a light that hangs from his collar, so we are quite visible on all our twilight or dawn adventures. I tried knuckle lights but the swinging action upsets my stomach and they are not that visible for cars anyway. An almost 15 mile day, hurray!

Holly, I am also glad you weren't in a ditch! yikes. Snow heading here, but right now we appear to be in  3-6 " spot---not a big deal, we'll see what Mother Nature has to say about the forecast. Central NY is about to win the golden snowball award again I think---my hometown friends keep sending photos---not homesick!

I've been lost in the world of books since Christmas Eve and wouldn't have it another way----my perfect "vacation" is to gorge on running miles and reading material. The kiddo is in intensive driving class (30 hours of classroom instruction mandatory in MA--and he has to squeeze it in amidst sports) and now at hockey practice. Hudson and I are in snuggle position on the couch---happily tired.

Stay safe if you are in a storm zone and happy holiday to all. Hudson waves a happy new year paw as well.

wildchild

Carolyn

Troy, you only mentioned the wind, but not the temperature.  Sir Ernest Shackleton might have wimped out too if it was cold AND windy!

Slo, I've said it before, but I really wish your family would adopt me!  You guys really know how to party.  Will you be setting anything on fire this weekend?  Wink

I ran another 8 miles today in the snow.  It was pretty nice out, about 32F.  I tied a jacket around my waist when I went out, just in case I wanted it at some point, and was glad I had it when the wind picked up about mile 6.

I've been running Garmin-less all week because these mountain runs in the snow are so slow I don't even want to know my pace, and I know all the distances around home.  I walk probably half the uphills, and it's all either uphill or downhill, nothing even remotely flat!  The part on my road where there are just tire tracks to run in is especially hard to run uphill.  It's my "bertha" hill (first 0.7 miles on the graph below), and it's even hard to run the whole thing without snow.  But I still feel like I'm getting a good workout, even with the walking, so it's all good.  Here's my elevation profile.  Unlike Erika, there's not a big temperature drop at the low point here.

I hammered down the trail, passing rocks and trees like they were standing still.

Bushrat Runner

Carolyn...when we get high winds it is most commonly from the east, and in the winter east winds mean warm air dumping over from the north Pacific. So it has risen steadily since last night at 9 pm when it was -1F, and it is now 39F. So far we've seen a 40 degree turnaround. My personal record, that I remember, is 60 degrees in 12 hours and 68 degrees in 24 hours...

So now all the snow will get a nice wet ice glaze over it and then start melting in earnest, and if this lasts a couple days we'll be almost out of snow. As long as it snows a bit when it cools back down, it is all good...I really like having that white ground cover. Makes everything seem really bright and cheery.

So anyway, no not cold, I'm just a wimp. I have a really hard time convincing myself to run when the winds are over 30 mph...still 28 gusting 46 right now...

Mike E

MM #5615

I'm with ya, Rhoon, on the wind--I would rather not even deal with it--especially when it's even close to being cold.

I want to be in Slo's family, too!

Talk about being a whimp--I ran on the treadmill, today, and it was 16o...cold...but not cold enough to keep me inside.

My son, who lives in Alaska, is vacationing in Florida.  My daughters and their families left yesterday to join him.  For Christmas, my girls bought me a plane ticket to go down for a few days, as well...I leave tomorrow.  This will be the first time I get to see my newest granddaughters!

Anyway--now, I get to worry about another dang plane ride and I don't even get to knock another state off my 50 State list.

Okay--that's it for now.  See ya!

MM#209 / JapanJoyful#803

I'm just a wimp. I have a really hard time convincing myself to run when the winds are over 30 mph...still 28 gusting 46 right now...

Not even anywhere near as extreme as where you and Erika are buI I was up there in the Southeast panhandle for more than 40 winters and never once ran between October and April. You may not use the word ":wimp" to describe the running you and erika do all year long. Your posts from The Great Land have me in constant awe.

"Enjoy yourself. Your younger days never come again." 100yo T. Igarashi to me in geta at top of Mt. Fuji (8/2/87)

MM#209 / JapanJoyful#803

I'm just a wimp. I have a really hard time convincing myself to run when the winds are over 30 mph...still 28 gusting 46 right now...

Not even anywhere near as extreme as where you and Erika are buI I was up there in the Southeast panhandle for more than 40 winters and never once ran between October and April. You may not use the word ":wimp" to describe the running you and erika do all year long. Your posts from The Great Land have me in constant awe.

"Enjoy yourself. Your younger days never come again." 100yo T. Igarashi to me in geta at top of Mt. Fuji (8/2/87)

Marathon Maniac #957

My son, who lives in Alaska, is vacationing in Florida.  My daughters and their families left yesterday to join him.  For Christmas, my girls bought me a plane ticket to go down for a few days, as well...I leave tomorrow.  This will be the first time I get to see my newest granddaughters!

Wonderful!  Enjoy!

Life is a headlong rush into the unknown. We can hunker down and hope nothing hits us or we can stand tall, lean into the wind and say, "Bring it on, darlin', and don't be stingy with the jalapenos."

Where in Florida Mike?

Bill

ETA:  Edited to keep Dave59 happy.  Wink

"Some are the strong, silent type. You can't put your finger on exactly what it is they bring to the table until you run without them and then you realize that their steadiness fills a hole that leaks energy in their absence." - Kristin Armstrong

Dave59

Where is Florida Mike?

Bill

It's just south of Georgia.