Masters Running

Sunday Nov 30 runs and such (Read 428 times)

7.6 miles for me today, 1:04:09..., Any word from Tramps? I hope you all have a good day to round out this restful weekend. Nono, can I have some clams? I have a soft spot for bivalves. First I should probably whittle down my yoga-ball sized ham. Later, Walt

Hill Runner

Good morning Walt, Tramps we're all waiting... Smile I've been a slug myself for the past few days. It's raining pretty heavy this morning and while I don't mind running IN the rain, I just have a hard time starting out into it. Although I feel guilty about not running, I'm not worried as Boston is still pretty far away. Besides, rest can be a good thing... ...Been using Google Chrome for my browser lately and I'm really liking it...much faster than anything I've used so far. Good runs to everyone today.

Upcoming Races:

Boston Marathon, Boston,MA 04/15/13
      Grandfather Mountain Marathon,Boone NC 07/14/13
      Thunder Road Marathon, Charlotte NC 11/13

Marathon Maniac #3309

Yeah, I have been wondering about Tramps too...hopefully all went super for him! Nice run there Walt, and thanks for starting us off this morning. Peter, I am like you. I really don't mind running in the rain, but hate starting off in it. Enjoy your rest day, then you will get back at it tomorrow. And yes, some rest can be a good thing. I think I may be having a turning point with my foot. While sometimes I may say my foot is pain free, usually it starts to hurt later in the day as I walk around. Well, yesterday truly was a full day where my foot didn't hurt at all. And getting out of bed this morning I was pain free again, but my foot was a little stiff. But no matter how good my foot feels, I still am not running till atleast Jan 1st....where I will see how I feel then. Boy, my arms are really sore from my one hour lap swimming yesterday, but my legs feel good with my one hour of pool running. Erika, I am sooo glad you kinda pushed me into doing this, thanks! Oh, and I just now read last nights post about your foot still speaking to you, what a bummer. And I really know and sense how much this is hurting you...not the physical as much, but mentally not being able to run and seeing no end in sight. I guess all I can do is say...don't do it till you are 100%. I sort of forget exactly what is wrong with your foot, and wonder what your doctor said about how long you should not run...or does he / she even have a clue? It seems like you said something about your dad - I think - having something similar...maybe I an totally wrong too. There really is no fancy words I can say that will help at all, other than...hang in there, and hopefully sooner than later things will get better. Plus you have your great buds here wishng you the very best and encouragement... (guess I am NOT the best person to be telling you anything. Since I am going through the same thing, and want to run SOOOO bad. Thanks to the great people at RA that have helped me. Without you, I would still be attempting to run and keep messing things up worse...I really would have!) Snowing here for the first time this season...pretty actually with these huge snow flakes. Closing in on 30 days Tet.... Hope everyone has a great day, running or not. TimBo (I promise to keep my mouth shut from now on about a certain issue...I really promise (I just deleted last nights post) It's just I care so much about everyone here, and speak out because I don't want anyone else leaving us...nuff said.)

Running has given me the courage to start, the determination to keep trying, and the childlike spirit to have fun along the way - Run often and run long, but never outrun your Joy of running!

Good morning, everyone! I checked out Tramps' time, and I think it was pretty good, but of course I'll let him give his race report. He had told us that he didn't bring a laptop with him, so we won't see the report until at least later today when they get back. Progression targets 4@9:36, 5@9:12, 5@8:48, actual pace(HR) 9:22(136), 9:06(143), 8:27(156). Pfitzinger has these long runs a little slower than the dtoce plan -- I'm liking it so far Smile Overall: 14.2 miles, 2:07, 8:57/mi, AHR 146 in 36°F and an unpleasant drizzle. On that subject, I don't see why anyone would leave because they don't like certain writings of one individual. But that's just me...

Lou, (aka Mr. predawnrunner), MD, USA | Lou's Brews | lking@pobox.com

Up early to look at the weather for the Seattle marathon and half, which I am not running. 54 F and mizzle (supposedly that is a Seattle term for mist + drizzle). Nice layer of marine fog out there now making everything wet, but it is not actually raining. Hoping Tet and Franc get to hug each other on the out and backs. Go Francesca!! Tim - I was so happy to hear about the no pain on your foot. I recently read Matt Fitzgerald's Brain Training for runners and he spends a chapter talking about his "no pain" policy. He ran thru knee pain for awhile and it sidelined him for three years. So now even the slightest pain means no running. Kind of like a stitch in time. I'm going to try for 12 to 14 later. Bored with my usual routes but I can't think of where else to run that has the requisite number of bathrooms and a 7-11 on route. Someday I'd like to take a bus to somewhere 14 miles away and have to run home.

"During a marathon, I run about two-thirds of the time. That's plenty." - Margaret Davis, 85 Ed Whitlock regarding his 2:54:48 marathon at age 73, "That was a good day. It was never a struggle."

It was snowing early today. But my DW figured we better get going in that before it changed to sleet and rain. Well we beat out the rain part and managed 6 very slow miles. I am not sure what kind of shape my legs are in even after the three weeks off and this week of slow low mileage runs. I may decide that I need another two weeks in do nothing rehab. Dead I know, this is nothing compared to poor biketm's current tribulations or evanflein either. But it may still mean my times will be off and I really want to get healed back to the point where they recover. Sigh, it will also mean back to the no food diet required during couch potato status. Tongue I saw yesterday's thread and did not comment on Dark Horse's note. But, I also saw the many posts saying they do not want him to tone it down or leave. Those that find such "colorful" posts offensive have left or never joined to begin with. Thus, at this point, we have here those that either like them or can tolerate them. A lot of self selection has occurred. I would like to find a way to keep as many people here as possible. In that regard (as I have campaigned for previously) I think having threads outside the daily for more colorful or controversial matters is, was, and will remain a good idea. P.S. Tramps I hope your race was everything you wanted! I too am looking forward to reading how it went.

Live like you are dying not like you are afraid to die.

Drunken Irish Soda Bread and Irish Brown Bread this way -->  http://allrecipes.com/cook/4379041/

12.3 miles in freezing cold rain at 10:22 pace. Caution: bridges freeze before road surface. I'm glad I was out of the house before it was quite light. Looking out the window now, it looks perfectly awful, and I'm not sure I would have retained motivation if I'd seen what it was like.

aka Mrs. WillRunForBeer, MD, USA

Marathoning, the triumph of desire over reason

DickyG

California authorities discovered that a drunken driving suspect they had just tasered was completely naked. Santa Ana police say the naked man was pulled over by police right after his van hit a car. Police Commander Stephen Colon said a driver alerted officers to the van that had just hit his car. He said the driver was fumbling in the front seat and refused to put his hands up. Police than used a taser on his head and neck and then saw he was completely naked. When asked what his first reaction was when he saw that the driver was naked, Colon stated "I was stunned." The naked driver said "So was I." Ribs is running 8 mile races already???Boy, does that make me feel like a slacker. Denise: Very cool going out for a 10-miler the day of your class reunion...I would have spent the whole day napping and/or trying to decipher the pics in the yearbook. Lou: Great, great pic of you, PDR, & assorted Tramps'...who took the pic? Tet: I don't see how you can possibly not run for a month and then rip off a marathon...you are my hero. And some of those others...like 100 marathons in a year...are just way out of my comprehension range. I don't see how all you people can go out for a long run and then post "I felt great" or "I could have run a lot farther". I'm huffing and puffing after running for about 4 feet and the only time I "feel great" is right after taking that last step. I must be in a lot worse shape than everybody thinks I am. Anyway, 4 fairly slow miles in a cold rain..just went out in shorts & LS tee...figured anything else I wore would just get waterlogged and maybe ruined...37:14 (9:19)..Ave HR 133 Max 146 Like others, waiting for Tramps' RR...hope he broke a world record. DickyG

i'm lovin' it... MM#1949

I like controversy... spicy Big grin WTG Tramps... details.. details... Chilly willy hilly 15 mile run in 38F rain. Soaking wet feet. Even the polypropylene tights were soaked. 2:11:40 for 8:47 pace. Really glad that one is over. Broke 2400 miles for the year and now only 1.5 miles away from my all time mileage high set in 2006 Shocked

Perch's Profile "I don't know if running adds years to your life, but it definitely adds life to your years." - Jim Fixx "The secret is to make in your mind possible what was not possible before. The secret is to make easy what was difficult, instead to make difficult what really is easy." - Coach Renato Canova

Lou: Great, great pic of you, PDR, & assorted Tramps'...who took the pic?
                      I did. Well, I have a tripod and I know how to use it. Tongue Nice run, perch, and wow look at that yearly mileage!

Lou, (aka Mr. predawnrunner), MD, USA | Lou's Brews | lking@pobox.com

wildchild

Carolyn

Wow, I don't know how you guys do long runs in freezing cold rain! I might do a short run in those conditions but not 12-15 miles. Well, we checked the snow report and Loveland got 14" yesterday, so we're going skiing today! First time of the season. DD is a snowboarder and DH and I are telemark skiiers. I imagine we'll all be kinda sore tomorrow, but in a good way.

I hammered down the trail, passing rocks and trees like they were standing still.

flatland mountaineer

35 deg with cold 40 mph north wind on its way to 60 mph gusts, wicked nasty high plains weather. I did an easy 2 miles, a little residual soreness remaining after our little race. Black eye Tried out some new Wave Riders today, going to try a little less stability and see if that will help the achilles thing. There will be better run days. Wink

The whole world said I shoulda used red but it looked good to Charlene in John Deere Green!!

Support Ethanol, drink the best, burn the rest.

Run for fun? What the hell kind of recreation is that?  quote from Back to the Fut III

6.8 easy but hilly miles at 9:53 pace w/DW 35F with light rain Sorry Dicky but it felt great Big grin Makes the hot coffee after the run even better Smile Saw a house with Christmas lights on last night that had a leg lamp lawn ornament Cool Great to hear good news about the foot Timbo Smile

Courage ! Do one brave thing today...then run like hell.

MM#209 / JapanJoyful#803

good morning boomers. thanks enke. unfortunately some nonrunning needs starting conflicting with another planned Sat/Sun Seattle Ghost/Seattle Marathon double this weekend. fortunately, especially after yesterday's happy Ghost, the Pink Door beckons tonight. However, it was spectacular to watch in awe from an overpass at ~mile 2.5 as the first half marathons streamed their way down Fifth Avenue from the library, pouring out of the fog and over the intersecting streets like a muilti-colored lava flow bobbing up and down in Santa hats, propellers, and coneheads. It lasted from 7:41am - 8:45am without interruption. Fog's gone now and rest of day should be sunny, warm and nice. thanks dickyg - it doesn't take much effort or training, if any, to be a slow runner but it sure is fun. ps to timbo - congratulations on taper day 29. One more day and you'll be an official member of nonrunners anynonymous, to say nothing of being the current reigning taper king. however, watch out, I'm starting December's taper today!

"Enjoy yourself. Your younger days never come again." 100yo T. Igarashi to me in geta at top of Mt. Fuji (8/2/87)

I ran the 15K "Noodleini" this morning. It wasn't chip timed and my rough estimate is 1:25 give or take. I felt good - only walked through one water stop and kept a good steady pace for the entire race. The bad weather predicted for this morning will not be here until later in the day, so that helped. I do have a rant about one thing, though. I've done two races this past week - pre-registered, did the packet pickup ahead of time. Then, come race day, the event organizers call everyone to the start (in 20F temps), only to tell them that the race will be delayed "for 10 or 15 minutes" while they take last minute registrations. Why should those people who plan ahead and do all the right things be forced to stand out in the cold while people who show up 15 minutes before race time are allowed to register? Angry Rant off now. Some nice runs by a lot of folks in some pretty carpy weather. Wildchild - have fun skiing! We're trying to plan a trip to Breckenridge after the first of the year. Tim - glad to hear you're pain-free today (well, except for your sore arms from swimming Big grin). Hang in there, friend, I think you're on your way to recovery! Off to take a hot shower and watch some football. Enjoy your Sunday, everyone. ETA Sarge - how big was that leg lamp lawn ornament? Boy, I'd sure be one up on the neighbors if I had one of those!